10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

CivicX members have discovered an ongoing engine recall which appears to be causing the stop sale on some 2016 Civic models. The 'M63 Piston Clip / Ring' recall affects all trims, both engines, both sold & unsold cars, but only a certain limited range of VINs.

The issue appears to be with the piston pin snap ring on some engines. You can check whether issue applies to your 2016 Civic by calling 888-234-2138 (have your VIN # ready).

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Actually on another site an official statement from honda said it only effects the 2.0L engines.

- There is one open recall and one TSB. The recall is for a piston clip, the TSB is for an amp issue effecting Touring trim levels.
- The recall affects only the 2.0L engine, and is VIN specific.
- The website is not currently up to date and you just call the Honda Recall line for info on your specific car.
- Parts will be arriving some time in the near future (Feb. 5th was suggested), and notices will be additionally mailed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually on another site an official statement from honda said it only effects the 2.0L engines.
FTFY:
…on another site (c-i-v-i-c-x.com) a poster quoting a Honda document said…

There is no official statement from Honda available anywhere I've seen, including hondanews.com as of several minutes ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An email from my dealership service manager:
"This new recall just came out on the 30th. As of right now I am still waiting on the procedure in which Honda will be inspecting and repairing the effected vin range vehicles. I would continue to drive and operate the vehicle as you have been and when I get some more info on what steps are needed and repairs/tools needed I will make sure to let you know. I am sure Honda will also be sending out a mailer on this matter as well. I will check the info daily and let you know as soon as I know. Have a great day and I’ll be in touch with you soon."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I call American Honda, my 2016 Civic EX is on the list to be recalled in regards to the engine piston snap ring issue. When I insert my VIN online, it indicates, no recall

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yesterday I called the Cali Honda CS, and gave them my VIN. Took about 5 min but they came back and said YES my 2016 EX (purchased in November) is in the recall. They also said we won't know the remedy till mid March. Just call with your VIN and they should be able to give you an answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
An email from my dealership service manager:
"This new recall just came out on the 30th. As of right now I am still waiting on the procedure in which Honda will be inspecting and repairing the effected vin range vehicles. I would continue to drive and operate the vehicle as you have been and when I get some more info on what steps are needed and repairs/tools needed I will make sure to let you know. I am sure Honda will also be sending out a mailer on this matter as well. I will check the info daily and let you know as soon as I know. Have a great day and I’ll be in touch with you soon."
I just bought mine on the 30th, and my vin is on the recall list. What rotten luck. I'm upset about my dealer not opening their email and looking at the notifications for that day. I live on the west coast and I read how people on the east coast were not being sold vehicles on the morning of the 30th. Since we're 3 hours behind them, my dealer should have known about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I call American Honda, my 2016 Civic EX is on the list to be recalled in regards to the engine piston snap ring issue. When I insert my VIN online, it indicates, no recall
Bought my 2016 civic ex jan 30 2016. Found out on news 1 week later on the recall, checked website its on the list. Called dealer only 400kms on car now they minimal-remove oil pan use borascope to look at rest pins. Im a millwright and rebuilt many engines,cant see rest pins without removing ppiston from bottom on motor, life expectancy is cut in half. Wont take car back or replace motor. Now fighting for 200,000 km warranty ext. First and last honda I will buy. Build in canada, wheres quality control.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Bought my 2016 civic ex jan 30 2016. Found out on news 1 week later on the recall, checked website its on the list. Called dealer only 400kms on car now they minimal-remove oil pan use borascope to look at rest pins. Im a millwright and rebuilt many engines,cant see rest pins without removing ppiston from bottom on motor, life expectancy is cut in half. Wont take car back or replace motor. Now fighting for 200,000 km warranty ext. First and last honda I will buy. Build in canada, wheres quality control.
So anyone who's had their cars checked for the loose pins has had their engine life expectancy cut in half without knowing about it? :surprise:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im a millwright and rebuilt many engines,cant see rest pins without removing ppiston from bottom on motor
Why is it everybody but Honda knows this can't be done? Honda, it turns out, knows more about building engines in general, and inspecting piston pin snap rings in this engine with a borescope in specific, than any "I've built a few engines in my time" Internet poster.

Read the TSB. Observe the photos. Then you'll understand. Maybe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Dick W for the TSB info. Clear and complete procedure and photos. Should eliminate much of the speculation on the 2L engine recall.
Rex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my letter for my civic ex, gonna have me leave my car at my house and go to the dealership to get a loaner and sign a waiver that I won't drive my honda until the parts arrive.

EDIT: told wrong info from service; loaner applies to CRV. In the shop now

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just got my letter for my civic ex, gonna have me leave my car at my house and go to the dealership to get a loaner and sign a waiver that I won't drive my honda until the parts arrive.
Wow. Hadn't hear anything like that from others. Where'd the waiver thing come from? The dealer? (Or the recall letter from American Honda?) Did the dealer sell it to you after the stop sale was announced? (IIRC, 1/29 or 1/30.) How are you going to get it to the dealer when they get the parts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. Hadn't hear anything like that from others. Where'd the waiver thing come from? The dealer? (Or the recall letter from American Honda?) Did the dealer sell it to you after the stop sale was announced? (IIRC, 1/29 or 1/30.) How are you going to get it to the dealer when they get the parts?
Turn's out the dealer was incorrect; they are only providing loaners for CRV recalls and its expected to be a while. They took my car in today for the recall service.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Interesting. Maybe that's the '16 CR-V air bag recall. Mine is an '07 and I just got the letter for the latest round of Takata Air Bag Fun. No offer of a loaner, though. They sent a Recall letter saying they are going to send a Recall letter sometime this summer when they are ready with the parts to actually do something about it. The lawyers probably think this makes sense.

Good luck with your inspection. Hopefully your dealer/mechanic is one of the good ones who puts it back together all correctly and neatly and you leave as if it never happened.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts