10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know...sounds strange right? Well it is. The rear breaks on my wife's car gradually started sounded like they were scrubbing last week. I thought it was because of all the rain we've had and the gravel driveway. I had time on Saturday to take a closer look and it looked like they had a case of chicken pox. There are "bumps" all over both rear rotors; the front ones are fine. They don't wobble, drive differently, breaking distance doesn't seem to have increased. Just noisy scrubbing. She's not a "hard driver" or ride the breaks. Any ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Um...You mean brakes? Break is like when you do a coffee break! LOL! It does sound strange. I have heard of pitting (indentations) but not bumps (raised areas). I do think that small stones from a gravel driveway could cause pitting or gouging on rotors, but have never heard of anything that would add material to rotors to cause raised bumps. Did you also check the calipers that grip the rotors, to see if material from them may be coming off & sticking from heat adhesion to the rotors? Otherwise, I suggest asking a mechanic very experienced with brakes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A break is exactly what I need! LOL I’m building a house, working on a truck and now this. Breaks are a piece of cake. I’ve changed them plenty of times. I’ve just never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Assuming these rotors are contemporaneous photos from the same vehicle, my opinion, unencumbered by much professional experience but many decades of casual observation, is that the second photo is consistent with a system that isn't applying much braking force on that rotor (i.e., it should be being wiped clean during normal operation).

I strongly suggest taking it to a competent mechanic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it really looks like I don't know the difference between breaks and brakes but it's different working from a phone and a computer. Those pictures are from the same vehicle, but the clean one is from the front rotor and the other is from the rear. Both rear rotors have the exact same look to them. I sent the pictures to a Honda mechanic at the local dealership. He had the same opinion that he had seen pits and scaling but never raised "bumps" on a rotor. It needs an oil change so he's going to take a look at it this week.

Not sure if "competent mechanic" was supposed to be a slight or not...but I know my way around a vehicle quite well. This is just something I have never experienced on a car nor the "competent mechanic" at Honda. Breaks on 10thGen Civics seem to have been one of their issues and I assumed this would be a good place to come and ask because not everyone knows everything.

My apologies...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got time to pull the brakes off this weekend. To only have 40K miles on those rotors, they looked like they had been through a war zone. There weren't only just raised places on them, but they were badly pitted. The pads themselves still had plenty of pad left on them. There were no grooves worn in anything, but the rotors almost felt like the were slightly warped. They had horrible corrosion around the outside and the center hub. Both the pads and rotors were the original Honda parts. I dunno...maybe just a bad batch of parts? I'm going to drop the rotors and pads off at Honda Service to see what they say about them.

I wiped everything down and got it cleaned up. Then put a nice shiny set of slotted rotors and carbon-fiber ceramic pads on. You have to hold on to your teeth when you hit the breaks now :) The wife is happy and all is right in the world. Thanks for the input....even you BlueStreak LOL no harm no foul.... ;) I can be a little edgy without my coffee.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Happy to hear it sounds like you are making progress with installing better brakes. Kind of really strange the symptoms of your old ones, like the car may have been at one time, driven through a big puddle of chemicals, or some odd material (New asphalt/tar/oil?) that stuck on, & that only got into the rear brakes. The front ones hitting strange material first, may not have "ingested" it but did splash it back into the rear ones? Be sure not to miss your coffee "Brakes"!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts