10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
It's all a matter of how you drive. I have a 2013 Accord Sport this is rated 35MPH highway. I can consistently get 39-40 MPG sometimes a fraction more. I do drive at the speed limit and am light on the throttle. My other car is a 2014 Corvette that will get 35-36 MPG on the highway if you obey the speed limit (in ECO Mode with cylinder de-activation).
For me it's fun to try getting the max MPGs. Having the MPG meter in the car makes me try for the higher mileage most of the time when I drive.
The only car I had that did not make Highway MPGs was my 2010 Elantra (initially rated at 40 MPG Highway-later reduced to 38 MPGs after enough people complained about unattainable mileage rating).

· Registered
42 Posts
That does sound very high although I have gotten as much as 42 mpg on my 2013 Accord Sport.
It again depends on how you drive. Hyper milers can get amazingly high MPG numbers. Once you get the hang of it, there is not that much difference in travel times between so called everyday driving style and hyper milageing. It actually becomes fun to do.

· Registered
42 Posts
The ECO button is not a majic transformation. The following are its primary functions:
De-sensitizes the throttle to minimize jack rabbit starts.
Allows the CVT to upshift sooner for taller gearing sooner.
When the A/C is on, it cycles the compressor more often to take some of the load off the engine.

Other than the A/C cycling, you can do the rest yourself with a gentle foot on the throttle however with the ECO button you don't have to-the cars does it for you.

· Registered
42 Posts
I have a Touring as well with about 1500 miles on it. Last tank I achieved 44.1 actual (computer showed 46.2 MPG). 75% highway at 65 MPH.
Now if they could just my my sound system and Apple Carplay to work (3 times at dealer and still no idea from Honda how to fix it).

· Registered
42 Posts
Elevation should make the milage higher since the air is thinner meaning less air resistance.
Same reason airplanes fly higher-saves a tremendous amount of fuel and increases the ground speed (assuming 0 wind conditions aloft).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.