10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody able to confirm that this gen civic does not have any compartment in the car that can be locked completely? Other cars have a key lock to prevent someone from opening the trunk from inside the car. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
It certainly does not look like it does. I wanted to lock my wallet up in the glovebox or console while I was out xc-skiing this afternoon and no such luck. I thought that was definitely overlooked by the factory as most vehicles have some way of locking up your valuables. i wouldn't think being a push button start and not bothering with keys would have any bearing on it.Our Accord has a key lock on the trunk release and its a push button start .

·
Registered
346 Posts
Anybody able to confirm that this gen civic does not have any compartment in the car that can be locked completely? Other cars have a key lock to prevent someone from opening the trunk from inside the car. Thanks
You can open the trunk either by pushing the button on the drivers door, OR if you have the smart key in your pocket, you can open it, OR you can press the icon on the smart key to open the trunk. How many ways do you need to open it? If the car is locked and someone who does NOT have the smart key in their pocket will NOT be able to open your trunk unless they broke in and pressed the button on the door. Which they could also do in any other car that has a key hole in the trunk.......
If a thief has already broken into your car, getting into the glove box is small potatoes.
if someone wants to break into your car, they aren't going to pry open a trunk with no key hole in it and push down the rear seats to do it, they are just going to smash your window.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Doesn't seem like anything new. Black Betty has no console, nor glove box, lock. There is no trunk lock key either. You lock the trunk release lever on the floor and the trunk and gas door are locked. The key fob will still release the trunk lock. Again, keeping the interior as clean (i.e. uncluttered) as the day it was delivered is the best way to deter thieves. If they don't see anything or telltales of things, they will go elsewhere. Locking stuff in the trunk while not being watched is likely to be the securest method.

Reactions: mrbig

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I get one of the small under sear safes with a cable attached for use in locking up valuables. Cheap one for say $20 will work fine. Plus then it's under the seat and out of the way for casual break ins. Look for car gun safe, or pistol lockbox for car. Works great for wallets and such.

Also a good place to store your pistol as needed. Prefer locking that up over unlocked glovebox that is for sure!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Doesn't seem like anything new. Black Betty has no console, nor glove box, lock. There is no trunk lock key either. You lock the trunk release lever on the floor and the trunk and gas door are locked. The key fob will still release the trunk lock. Again, keeping the interior as clean (i.e. uncluttered) as the day it was delivered is the best way to deter thieves. If they don't see anything or telltales of things, they will go elsewhere. Locking stuff in the trunk while not being watched is likely to be the securest method.
It has a center console......

·
Registered
135 Posts
and hiding you wallet in the glove box is the worst idea... thats where everyone hides it... common knowledge. I usually like those little map compartments down low on the door panels. I usually just put it down there with a piece of paper over it. Looks just like any other old discarded paper in an aging vehicle LOL

·
Registered
346 Posts
... that does not lock.
I've never seen a locking center console in any car I've ever owned.
If you're concerned, lock something in your trunk, its safer because it does NOT have a key hole that someone can pick the lock....... :D
Want to hide a wallet? Put it underneath the carpet in the spare tire :) problem solved

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not having a lock is no concern for me. If you lock it a thief will open that glove box in 10 seconds. What I don't like about the glove compartment is it does not have a device which dampens the lowering of the compartment. It just drops if you don't hold it. It also lacks a light. I'm surprised they missed this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can open the trunk either by pushing the button on the drivers door, OR if you have the smart key in your pocket, you can open it, OR you can press the icon on the smart key to open the trunk. How many ways do you need to open it? If the car is locked and someone who does NOT have the smart key in their pocket will NOT be able to open your trunk unless they broke in and pressed the button on the door. Which they could also do in any other car that has a key hole in the trunk.......
If a thief has already broken into your car, getting into the glove box is small potatoes.
if someone wants to break into your car, they aren't going to pry open a trunk with no key hole in it and push down the rear seats to do it, they are just going to smash your window.
I would think that the glovebox key and the trunk key would be nice for valet parking security.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is a Civic, let's not forget. If they put all this stuff in a Civic, how are they going to sell Accords, ILXs, TLXs, etc.? They also can't price it out of the market with its competitors. Seems pretty amazing to me the feature content they *did* put in it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is a Civic, let's not forget. If they put all this stuff in a Civic, how are they going to sell Accords, ILXs, TLXs, etc.? They also can't price it out of the market with its competitors. Seems pretty amazing to me the feature content they *did* put in it.
I agree. I am not complaining at all. It's a very nice car with many awesome features.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My current 2009 Honda Civic EX-L has a (key-based) trunk lock in the floor next to the driver's seat. You can lock (or unlock) it with the regular key, but it can't be unlocked with the valet key, and when it's locked, the interior trunk release does not function. If the 2016 Civic doesn't have this, I consider that to be a pretty major step backward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no where in the 2016 Honda Civic LX that can be locked away. I wouldn't trust the trunk either. Mine pops open once in a while for no reason. A week ago, my trunk must have popped open because some thieves took about $500+ worth of items out of my trunk and then pushed down the back seat to enter the car and take my owner's manual out of my glove box. I have been reading that there are trunk issues with some of us, but nothing is being done. If you ask me, the car would be more secure with a locking glove box and a locking trunk. I can't leave anything ever in my trunk. I carry a back pack to work with my work papers and laptop. I now have to bring my backpack and everything else into stores with me if I stop anywhere on the way to or from work. I have written Honda HQs in Torrance and have a call into a service dept. If they refuse to do anything, I will visit a body shop to see if they can make some changes so that my car is secure. This is not what I expected from Honda. I am not happy. If my car were paid for, I'd sell it back to them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
more than likely, your trunk opening is a result of your trunk release on your keyfob. this isn't a civic thing...this has been going on for years with the trunk release on fobs that in pockets.

i know on my previous '11 sonata, people were complaining of the same issue. most realized it was them accidentally pushing the button when they removed the key out of pocket, or something else in the pocket/purse that was opening it. their first rebuttal was why isn't the doors unlocking then? i find it hard to believe that i'm only hitting the trunk button. well, if you unlock your doors with keyfob, they will automatically 're-lock' themselves after a set period (usually 30 seconds). so, you may be unlocking your doors as well, but, they will lock back up...trunks can't do that.

there was a slide switch/lock on the inside of the trunk that would disable the keyfob function. this worked for the majority of them. i personally, have never had the issue, but i also keep very little items in the pocket with my fob.

i am not familiar enough with the 10th gen to see if there is a built in work around/fail safe or not. manual might provide that information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glove box key lock

I would think that the glovebox key and the trunk key would be nice for valet parking security.
I was about the reply the same thing. I've been reading this thread, and I am no sure if I am missing something, or if its because I have a 2016 Civic EX with different features than the LX.

The key fob is both a sensor and a key. On the back, there is a little switch. If you slide the switch and pull the metal/silver section, you get a manual key. You can use this key to lock the glove compartment. You then keep the physical key and hand the sensor to the valet. This way, they can still drive your car, but only you can open the glove compartment box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I accidently turned off my car with the shifter left in drive. The next morning, the battery was totally dead. When I tried to open my trunk to get my jumper cables, I was unable to do so either with the button in the car or with the key fob. The 2016 Civic does not have a manual key lock in case your stuck in this situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too am very upset with no locks especially on glove box. There are certain things I don’t want people to look at or take for themselves. I’m looking now for a lock or replace glove box door with a lock. If you have found one please let me know !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts