1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
"The rest of 2016 Civic lineup will be revealed next week on the 16th of September."

I thought only the sedan was being revealed? Now we get to see the coupe too next week???? That'd be awesome but it contradicts what was said earlier about the reveal next week.

It does look a tad large, but i'll wait to see it in person to pass judgement. Other spy shots that have shown people standing next to the new civics it doesn't seem like it really grown by a huge amount, i think these shots just make it look longer than it really is, and if i decreased in height like honda said that could make it look longer too.

Personally i don't think the gray color does it justice. It hides the black accents in the grill. I wanna see a white one! But i'm more pumped for the coupe.

·
Registered
959 Posts
"The rest of 2016 Civic lineup will be revealed next week on the 16th of September."

I thought only the sedan was being revealed? Now we get to see the coupe too next week???? That'd be awesome but it contradicts what was said earlier about the reveal next week.

It does look a tad large, but i'll wait to see it in person to pass judgement. Other spy shots that have shown people standing next to the new civics it doesn't seem like it really grown by a huge amount, i think these shots just make it look longer than it really is, and if i decreased in height like honda said that could make it look longer too.

Personally i don't think the gray color does it justice. It hides the black accents in the grill. I wanna see a white one! But i'm more pumped for the coupe.
yea the rest of the lineup including LX, SE, EX and EX-L... OP never mentioned coupe...

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/11/2016-honda-civic-spy-shots/

We'll have much more on the new Civic at its official debut next week. Stay tuned.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/hondas-sexier-looking-all-new-2016.html

Honda plans to debut the 10th generation of the Civic "on Youtube", according to a company release, on September 16, before it brings it to the Los Angeles Auto Show in late November.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/09/here-s-the-2016-honda-civic-completely-exposed.html

Expect more details on the 2016 Honda Civic when it makes its official debut next week and AutoGuide.com will be on hand at the event to get detailed photos
They're all written the same way...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well that's what i thought but the OP post was a bit vague. It just said the rest of the civic lineup.... well that would include the coupe and the hatchback. It should have said, the rest of the sedan lineup or the rest of the trims.

The civic "lineup" is more than just the sedan, that's why i was confused because everything online about the reveal said sedan only. That's why i asked.

·
Registered
237 Posts
wish we had a better look at the headlamps... HATE the unibrow though... guess this is what Honda did with the crosstour... I don't know...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
wish we had a better look at the headlamps... HATE the unibrow though... guess this is what Honda did with the crosstour... I don't know...
I'm hoping the coupe gets the black chrome like the accord coupe has instead of just the normal chrome. If not, i'll be plastidipping the chrome bits gloss black.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think where the chrome is too much is the grille. I think it would probably look better if the Honda emblem was chrome but the bar across the front was black instead. That runs into the headlights as well though so I'm not sure how it would end up looking. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I like it at first look a lot, other than the unibrow as someone above called it lol. I also hat the new '16 Accord grille, but the optional sport grille looks great on it in comparison so maybe there will be a similar option on the new Civic. I'm interested in the sedan Si version anyway so it may well be fine.

Size looks great, it needed to grow a little bit in comparison to the rivals and with the Fit being so big inside it felt bigger than the Civic by far. Love the long sloping rear, very nice look overall. Three pics only? Surely there are more than 3! Not like film, just keep shooting! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think it looks real good. Much more upscale looking and a definite improvement over the past 2 remodels. The chrome strip across the front looks a bit much, but the front looks very aggressive otherwise. Side profile looks good and it has some nice curves over the wheel arches, they got rid of that ugly little "window" on the drivers door too. Rear, Im undecided. The lights look awfully big and contrasting to the grey paint. Prob look alot better in a lighter colour.

If the sedan is any indication (really close to the concepts and drawings) of what the coupe will look like, it should be a really sharp looking car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like it! Definitely looks more upscale than my 9th Gen. EX-L. I bet you could put Acura badges on it and no one would question it. Heck, you could put some other up market badges on it and fool a lot of folks.

Reactions: RobbJK88

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It looks very nice but if you are able to slap on another logo and have it pass as more expensive brand would that not mean the more expensive brands are generic?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It looks very nice but if you are able to slap on another logo and have it pass as more expensive brand would that not mean the more expensive brands are generic?
Shy of Lexus and their new hideous styling (it's hit and miss really) alot of luxury cars have a very understated style to them. Audi especially. Acura already looks alot like honda (because they are) and so on... Most mainstream cars, especially in the compact and sub compact class are all about overblown styling in order to make them look sportier while working on smaller dimensions. It seems now though with the new cruze and the elantra and civic coming out, understated, mature and classy style is the new trend to give a perceived boost to the image of the car as more upscale than it is.

Not complaining. I'd rather a car perform really well and have a handsome and classically sporty exterior than perform like crap and have overblown styling that panders to too many trends at once and ages badly within a few years.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The fastback style was definitely a bold move for Honda! I love it -- the best looking Honda Civic sedan yet IMO!

I think the unibrow could look good dipped in black.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Also, in terms of the size of the civic (which i'm still sure just looks larger than it is in these images) Other spy shots that had people in them standing next to the car for comparison shows that the civic really hasn't grown that much. I'm pretty sure it's the body style giving the illusion of size and length when i believe most of the growth has been in the width of the car.

BUT. Just for fun, i was wondering what the specifications were for a car to qualify as a "compact" in the US and not as a "midsize". Turns out, and i think i already knew this, its determined by interior volume of the car. Which means in theory... the car can be as large on the outside as the automaker wants... as long as the interior doesn't go over the max cubic feet of space of a compact, it's still considered a compact car, which is weird, i feel like there should be weight and length/width restrictions applied too. But i want to say the Elantra is actually classed as a midsize because of it's interior volume despite its compact car exterior size.

From what we've seen of the interior so far it doesn't look like the cabin has grown that much. Probably alot more shoulder room due to increased width and more rear leg room thanks to the increase in wheel base. But i'd say the interior still falls under the compact size restrictions.

Again, i'm pretty sure it's just the angles and photos that are making it look so long. Pictures with people in them don't seem to have the same lengthening effect and assuming the concept car has similar proportions to what the production coupe will have, it hasn't grown all that much at all based solely on comparisons of people standing near the car assuming a height between 5-6 foot tall.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Also, in terms of the size of the civic (which i'm still sure just looks larger than it is in these images) Other spy shots that had people in them standing next to the car for comparison shows that the civic really hasn't grown that much. I'm pretty sure it's the body style giving the illusion of size and length when i believe most of the growth has been in the width of the car.

BUT. Just for fun, i was wondering what the specifications were for a car to qualify as a "compact" in the US and not as a "midsize". Turns out, and i think i already knew this, its determined by interior volume of the car. Which means in theory... the car can be as large on the outside as the automaker wants... as long as the interior doesn't go over the max cubic feet of space of a compact, it's still considered a compact car, which is weird, i feel like there should be weight and length/width restrictions applied too. But i want to say the Elantra is actually classed as a midsize because of it's interior volume despite its compact car exterior size.

From what we've seen of the interior so far it doesn't look like the cabin has grown that much. Probably alot more shoulder room due to increased width and more rear leg room thanks to the increase in wheel base. But i'd say the interior still falls under the compact size restrictions.

Again, i'm pretty sure it's just the angles and photos that are making it look so long. Pictures with people in them don't seem to have the same lengthening effect and assuming the concept car has similar proportions to what the production coupe will have, it hasn't grown all that much at all based solely on comparisons of people standing near the car assuming a height between 5-6 foot tall.
I have a personal theory that the civic's slight growth spurt is to allow Honda room for the FIT sedan... Australia views them as replacement for the smaller civics Honda doesn't build any more...

Yasuhide Mizuno, the City will compete with other light sedans such as the Japanese built Toyota Yaris, the Korean-made Holden Barina and the Nissan Tiida (also Thai).[12] This will be the first City released in Australia since the 1980s. It replaces the formerly smaller-sized Civics.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do you think there will be any changes between this and the faster models? Will the Si have any differences cosmetically on the outside?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have a personal theory that the civic's slight growth spurt is to allow Honda room for the FIT sedan... Australia views them as replacement for the smaller civics Honda doesn't build any more...
Oh i agree to an extent for sure. I just don't expect it to grow almost a foot in length to the accord size now... Honda tried doing a larger accord with the 8th gen accord and people griped about how large they were (they were close to avalon size) so honda shrank them back down for the current 9th gen accord. I image a few inches of length but no more than 3 inches (too accommodate the wheelbase growth). Width could easily grow by close to 2 inches as well. and supposedly the height was supposed to go down, but probably only by about a half inch or so (which would also make the car look longer visually).

I imagine there is a pretty good length difference between the coupe and sedan too. Less rear overhang on the coupe could mean the coupe looses 3-5 inches compared to the sedan. The current car has about a 2 inch difference between length.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Oh i agree to an extent for sure. I just don't expect it to grow almost a foot in length to the accord size now... Honda tried doing a larger accord with the 8th gen accord and people griped about how large they were (they were close to avalon size) so honda shrank them back down for the current 9th gen accord. I image a few inches of length but no more than 3 inches (too accommodate the wheelbase growth). Width could easily grow by close to 2 inches as well. and supposedly the height was supposed to go down, but probably only by about a half inch or so (which would also make the car look longer visually).

I imagine there is a pretty good length difference between the coupe and sedan too. Less rear overhang on the coupe could mean the coupe looses 3-5 inches compared to the sedan. The current car has about a 2 inch difference between length.
Indeed, it looks like most of the gains in the sedan would be cargo cap regardless. Keeping Accord solidified as the roomier car, Civic gains in length adding comfort while still not being BIG. Fit sedan is able to slot in below as a true entry level low cost option along side the FIT... OR they try what they did in Japan and offer the FIT sedan as Hybrid only.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts