10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Last time a Honda Civic sedan was put through Car And Driver’s long term test was nearly two decades ago and now they’ve done it again with the new 2016 Honda Civic.

This is Honda’s chance to redeem the Civic nameplate after receiving widespread criticism over the 9th Civic. Styling was plain and its drive dynamics lackluster. The 10th gen Civic is anything but boring with a sporty front facia, perfectly pinched side panels and clean tail.

To experience all that Honda has to offer, they decided to go with the touring trim with its 174-hp 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Of course, the engine is paired with a continuously variable automatic as the six-speed manual gearbox is only going to be available with some boosted 2017 models.

So far, they’re impressed with the Civic’s performance. A month of roads trips and commutes have given them an average fuel economy rating of 39 mpg, impressive when you take into account the Civic’s 0-60mph time of 6.9 seconds. Sure, some of the new tech features can be frustrating at times and the adaptive cruise control can be a bit jerky, but the car’s steering is sharp and ride quality is smooth.

Right now, the 2016 Civic sedan only has 2380 miles under its belt and the last Civic they tested was driven for around 40,000 mile. This is just the first month of testing so we’ll probably see an update from them when the weather condition changes.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I feel like it's a bit late for car and driver to do a test like this. The Civic has been out for a while now and I'm sure a few owners have already taken theirs on road trips. But, it does make me wonder why they haven't' mentioned any problems that's already been reported here. Could the have a problem free Civic?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I feel like it's a bit late for car and driver to do a test like this. The Civic has been out for a while now and I'm sure a few owners have already taken theirs on road trips. But, it does make me wonder why they haven't' mentioned any problems that's already been reported here. Could the have a problem free Civic?
The fact that they waited so long to acquire and test the new civic probably means that which ever dealership that gave them the car probably made sure all the known issues were taken care of before handing the car over.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The fact that they waited so long to acquire and test the new civic probably means that which ever dealership that gave them the car probably made sure all the known issues were taken care of before handing the car over.
Good point and I was just about to mention that, being a new vehicle it would have been great if they started this off like any typical owner would, but of course that wouldn't be good for them, possibly get blacklisted by Honda, and that often means more to them. Yet another reason to pay attention to the community and what real owners have to say.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can never read too much about cars. I belong to several auto forums, VW, Honda, Toyota and Porsche.

Reviews by the auto industry pretty much never call out the problems with their test vehicles. They may say things like it needs more HP or rear leg room is sparse. The farthest they will go is to say something stopped working and the dealership fixed it under warranty.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I can never read too much about cars. I belong to several auto forums, VW, Honda, Toyota and Porsche.

Reviews by the auto industry pretty much never call out the problems with their test vehicles. They may say things like it needs more HP or rear leg room is sparse. The farthest they will go is to say something stopped working and the dealership fixed it under warranty.
For me it has come down to speaking with tech's, service advisors, and people on communities like this. Advisors and Techs's want to help you and sometimes will be transparent about issues since at that point they can fix it or are waiting on a fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts