10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these two 2016 Honda Civic spec sheets online today, and thought I'd post them up here with some commentary. It is possible that they have been leaked, or it is also possible that they are mock-ups made by an excited enthusiast. Check them out and let me know how realistic they seem to you, and any problems that you see.

2016 Honda Civic Sedan Spec Sheet

2016 Honda Civic Coupe Spec Sheet

UPDATE: Speculated 2016 Honda Civic Specs sheets were created by RobbJK88 from 10thcivicforum.com
Suspension
This spec sheet tells us that the 2016 Honda Civic Sedan will use a MacPherson front Strut suspension on the front end, and an Independent rear suspension. This system is generally thought to give worse handling than a multi-link suspension system which is the suspension system that the current NA Civic uses. It seemed more likely that a multi-link suspension system would be used simply because it would be more comfortable.

Suspension for the Honda Civic Coupe is the same.

LEDs
People will be happy to see that LEDs are included in the base Lx version of the Honda Civic. Both the daytime running lights and the full width tail lights will receive LEDs. More LEDs are added on higher trim levels with LED projector beam headlights and LED fog lights added on the Ex trim. This seems like a good balance between giving people LEDs at the entry-level of the Civic, and also withholding the full LED suite for people who opt for a higher trim level. This would also match up with what we have been seeing in recent Civic spy shots.

LED setups for the Honda Civic Coupe also mimick the Civic Sedan.

Price
According to this spec sheet, the 2016 Honda Civic will start at $18,680. That is a modest $190 increase in price from the base cost of the 2015 Honda Civic. Prices then increase with each trim level with the SE model starting at $19,995, the Ex starting at $21,200, and the Ex-L starting at $22,885. These prices would place the Honda Civic at a higher price point than many of its C segment rivals, like the Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze and Toyota Corolla, which start at $17,170, $16,170, and $16,950 respectively.

The 2016 Honda Civic Coupe has very similar pricing to the sedan, but there are slight differences. The price for the base model remains at $18,680. The Ex model starts at $20,145, and the Ex-L starts at $22,870.

Options
The 2016 Honda Civic seems to be coming with a nice slate of standard features. These include features like, keyless entry and trunk release, rearview backup camera, Apple and Android compatibility, 5" touch screen interface and an electronic parking brake, among others.

The SE model adds a 160 Watt 6 Speaker stereo, sport cloth bucket seats, and a 7" touch screen interface (rather than the 5" one in the base model).

The Ex trim level will add Honda Lane Watch, heated side mirrors, a power moonroof, SMS voice text function, a 360 Watt 7 speaker stereo with sub woofer, dual zone climate control, paddle shifters, and a push button start.

The Ex-L trim level adds rain sensing wipers, a host of leather options for the interior, a heated steering wheel and front seats, as well as 8 way adjustable power seats, and XM satellite radio.

As there is no SE trim level for the Civic Coupe, some of the options that come with that trim level on the sedan have been integrated into the base coupe. These include, the 160 Watt 6 speaker stereo, and cloth sport bucket seats. The 7" touch screen is bumped up to the Ex trim level though. Other changes per trim level remain largely the same though.

The Coupe also gets a host of independent options that one assumes can be bought individually as you wish. Most of these are cosmetic items like spoilers, side skirts, a black sport grille, and body side molding. There is also a remote start option and an automatic dimming mirror on the more substantial side of the options list.

Engines
This Honda Civic spec sheet shows that two different engines will be offered, and both engines are pretty much in line with what has been speculated. The 2.0L i4 is the base engine and produces 165 horsepower with 145 lb-ft of torque. Combined fuel economy comes in at 35.5 mpg, and its 0-60 mph time is 7.9 seconds.

The optional engine is a 1.5L Turbo i4 engine. It makes 167 hp and 191 lb-ft of torque, which should give it nice low range power and acceleration compared to the base engine. The horsepower increase is quite small over the base engine, but the torque is a nice jump. Fuel economy comes in at 37.5 combined, and its 0-60 mph time is set at 7.6 seconds. I was hoping for more hp in the turbo engine.

Transmission
The transmissions listed on this spec sheet are a little confusing. The Lx base model comes with a CVT with Sport mode. Sport mode changes the focus of the transmission from delivering the best fuel economy to delivering the best performance.

Getting the SE model will change the transmission to a CVT Automatic transmission. I'm not sure how this is different from the CVT in the Lx trim level.

Yet another different transmission is given at the Ex-L trim level. This one is a Standard CVT Transmission. I again am not sure how this differs from the previous two CVTs.

Let me know if you can discern a difference between these different CVTs. I think this might be a sign this spec sheet may be a mock-up and not a leak.

So I am not sure how much weight to put in these. The thing that makes me most apprehensive is the terms used for the different transmissions per trim level. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't understand the engine choices. If I had to buy one (and I wouldn't the first year), I'd shy away from the small turbo model. The two engines are so close in hp and mileage, I don't see the reason for them. Yes, the big torque boost is impressive and maybe the paddle shifted CVT can make it fun, but the 0-60 times are not that different. I think I'd wait to see official Honda specs. b4 getting excited.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Seems pretty fishy to me as far as it being real, but it is cool to see it all laid out like this to kinda discuss and figure out what might actually be happening ahead of Honda giving us the real deal. I want the turbo to be more powerful than it is shown to be here.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
@OP you've been fooled, there's no way this information would leak.
Skimming through it quickly i noticed they spelled 'Satellite' wrong.

This is more than likely a mash up of speculation, known future features, and current offerings from Honda.

On the plus side, this IS a nice no-fluff look at what to expect. Absorb all the info you need to know quickly.

·
Registered
876 Posts
To give some of the things mention in the original post some credibility, here's a Honda press release talking about some of this stuff:

Apr 1, 2015 - NEW YORK
10th-generation, 2016 model year Civic focuses on sporty, fun-to-drive dynamics
Civic lineup to include Sedan, Coupe, and 5-door Hatchback body types, as well as Si and Type-R versions
First Honda model to apply new VTEC® Turbo engines in North America
Civic, America's most popular small car is designed, developed and produced in North America
Today Honda unveiled its ultra-sporty Civic Concept at the New York International Auto Show as the brand prepares to launch its completely reimagined 10th-Generation Civic models beginning this fall. With a sharper focus on spirited performance and class-leading versatility, the new Civic lineup will include Civic Sedan, Coupe and Si models along with the return of the Civic hatchback, followed by the launch of a new Civic Type-R as the performance flagship of the Civic lineup. The new Civic also will be the first U.S. model to apply new VTEC® Turbo engines from the company's Earth Dreams Technology™ powertrain series.

"The new Civic will be, flat out, the most dynamic, the most technologically advanced and the most refined and stylish Civic we've ever made," said John Mendel, executive vice president, Automobile Division, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "In every way, this will be an epic Civic."

The Civic Concept provides a tantalizing glimpse forward to the thrilling design direction for the all-new 10th-generation Civic lineup launching in the U.S. this fall. Featuring a longer wheelbase and lower, wider stance, the new Civic emphasizes its aggressive personality and the engaging experience it will provide behind the wheel. Proportionally it boasts a longer hood, a shorter front overhang, a more set-back greenhouse and a shorter rear deck, lending the Civic a more athletic and "in motion" appearance.

The low and wide proportions are underscored by its more aggressive wheel-to-body relationship and pronounced fender arches. Its sporty and expressive face is highlighted by bright new LED headlights flanking the "Flying H" Honda grille which is supported by deeply sculpted lower air intakes.

"Charismatic, connected and athletic, our goal was to create a design that is emotional and sporty yet with a sense of timelessness and simplicity," said Guy Melville-Brown, Exterior Design Leader of the Civic concept, Honda R&D Americas, Inc. "In this we set out to create a vehicle that goes beyond the superficial and embraces the very philosophy of what a true Civic should be; it’s a real game changer."

The 10th-generation Civic is based on a compact platform that targets benchmark levels of efficiency, dynamic performance, safety and manufacturing productivity. Leveraging this new platform in conjunction with new Earth Dreams Technology™ powertrains – including a new 1.5-liter VTEC® Turbo engine with direct injection, a short-shifting 6-speed manual transmission, and a new, more sporty and efficient continuously variable transmission (CVT) – the Civic will target class-leading fuel economy ratings and fun-to-drive performance with near-luxury levels of cabin quietness and ride refinement.

The new Civic will also target class-leading levels of safety performance and will offer the Honda Sensing™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies, including Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Multi-Angle Rearview Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control and Honda LaneWatch™, along with Honda's next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure.

The new Civic marks the first time that global development of both the sedan and coupe models is being led by a North American R&D team, with design led by a team from Honda's Los Angeles design studio and development centered in the company's Raymond, Ohio vehicle development center. The North American version of the Civic Sedan will be produced in Greensburg, Indiana, and in Alliston, Ontario. The Civic Coupe and Si models will also be manufactured in Alliston. The VTEC Turbo engine will be produced in Anna, Ohio with engines also produced in Alliston. The CVT will be produced in Russells Point, Ohio. Together, these four Honda plants have invested in new equipment, processes and training to prepare for new Civic production, which will use domestic and globally sourced parts. Production of the five-door hatchback will take place at the company's Swindon, UK plant.

Honda is in the midst of a series of major product launches that began with the freshened CR-V – 2015 Motor Trend Sport Utility of the Year – and continues with the spring launch of the all-new 2016 Honda HR-V crossover and the summer launch of the redesigned 2016 Honda Pilot SUV. This will be followed by the new Civic release beginning this fall.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I really hope they don't put a stupid electronic diff LSD, they really need to keep it pure and mechanical.
I don't know much about it or any technical things like that, but from what i heard, a mechanical LSD transfers different amounts of power while mechanical systems are consistent possibly transferring more power

·
Registered
441 Posts
I really think that the multi link suspension is going to be on the eventual Civic. It just seems like the better choice for a global model.

And does anyone have any idea what a 3D gauge cluster is? Has Honda made any mention of this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
And does anyone have any idea what a 3D gauge cluster is? Has Honda made any mention of this?
Well, the upper part of the 9th gen. Civic has 3D effects in it.

More importantly, will you need special glasses for it?;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Am I the only one excited about the all digital gauge cluster?

Nowadays, I tend to lean my interest towards a car's interior because that's what I experience and spend most of my time... Although many dislike it, I love my current double dash 9th gen dashboard and if the 10th gen offers an all digital speedometer, tach and everything on one screen, similar to the that new Lamborghini, I wouldn't feel bad about losing the double dash, at all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is interesting but where did u get this information from. I do like the motor choices. It's a hard choice. Good ole k20 or smaller turbo motor. I think turbo would be my choice

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't understand the engine choices. If I had to buy one (and I wouldn't the first year), I'd shy away from the small turbo model. The two engines are so close in hp and mileage, I don't see the reason for them. Yes, the big torque boost is impressive and maybe the paddle shifted CVT can make it fun, but the 0-60 times are not that different. I think I'd wait to see official Honda specs. b4 getting excited.
I would spring for the turbo even if the hp figures were the same. If you live or drive at high altitudes, the turbo will keep churning out sea-level power (depending on the waste-gate management). Your 165hp na engine will lose 40hp by 8000ft.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would spring for the turbo even if the hp figures were the same. If you live or drive at high altitudes, the turbo will keep churning out sea-level power (depending on the waste-gate management). Your 165hp na engine will lose 40hp by 8000ft.
Point taken, but since it's less than 700 feet above sea level here and in the 50 years I've been driving, I have never run into that problem. My point was that if you're going to put a turbo engine out as an option, it ought to have a greater amount of output than the NA motor. Chevy did this with the Cruze first generation. My impression is that a tiny turbo motor is an unnecessary, and overly complex, way to get mileage. I'll wait and see how well Honda does it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Likely made up. Spelling errors (break instead of brake), city mpg versus highway looks inaccurate, SE model normally is last model year for Honda, etc.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what are you guys thnking is wrong and what do you think it should be instead? I think that the turbo engine will be more powerful than they have written here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if the price sheet for the SI is actually real.

for me, the 2.0T is a let down. i would prefer to give it the 2.4L (earth dream) non-turbo. so that i can keep this car of 15 years. LOL (current 2003 civic is almost at 12 years)

but all the other stuff i welcome, espcially the
electronic e-brake
apple Carplay
7" touch screen (hopefully W/O the dial control that most other cars have that is near the shifter, hate those buttons)

such a good valued car for $24k. even if its the electronic LSD. better then no LSD.

Now i just hope that the interior design is good. i can deal with if the exterior design isn't 100% to my liking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I still hope they put the DCT in the Si though, it would make me definitely jump on it. Although I won't complain about the manual version either, as long as its easier to drive than my MazdaSpeed3 where the clutch is unforgiving.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hate to break it to you guys but i made these. I'm a graphic designer and i was just having fun. I'm part of the forums at Civic X .com and i started a trim speculation thread. I made these in illustrator, again, just for fun. Everything i listed is either already on the civics or i guessed on based on various interviews and statements from honda along with a healthy dose of optimism. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up. lol.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts