10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in Canada and I'm a university student that will be doing clinical clerkships next year. Currently running my 00' SI but I've decided this late summer I was going to change car before heading into clerkships since I will have to do rotations over all province of Quebec hospitals.

I am wondering if the 2016 civic which is the 1st year of the 10th generation is a solid bet or if I'm better off waiting for 2017, to get it next autumn. Do they usually correct lots of details between the 1st and 2nd years of each generation?

Not sure if my question is crystal clear. Many thanks to all of you for your inputs.

- Alex

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hi,

I live in Canada and I'm a university student that will be doing clinical clerkships next year. Currently running my 00' SI but I've decided this late summer I was going to change car before heading into clerkships since I will have to do rotations over all province of Quebec hospitals.

I am wondering if the 2016 civic which is the 1st year of the 10th generation is a solid bet or if I'm better off waiting for 2017, to get it next autumn. Do they usually correct lots of details between the 1st and 2nd years of each generation?

Not sure if my question is crystal clear. Many thanks to all of you for your inputs.

- Alex
Other than concerns about initial recalls and things like that you don't have much to worry about. Honda wont do any kind of substantial updates until the car hits its 4th year in production for the mid model update.

Granted... depending on engine, the 1.5T is all new... so there could be some minor bugs that need worked out once the car is on sale. Things that they'll fix before the 2nd year run... but if you don't mind taking a chance on the new tech and the possibility of a minor recall or two then you don't have anything to worry about. (recalls are always under warranty anyway).

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Usually if there are a lot of people praising it and find few faults, there's a good chance that it will be good aside from possible issues which I wouldn't be concerned about with Honda. This is big step forward for the Civic, a lot for us to get out of it this time around.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wait a year and get a better deal. First 6 months of a new model generally bring about the most hiccups (if any).

That said, Honda's first foray into turbocharging was fine with the RDX. But they are also bringing over direct injection which has its own set of complications. With all the new tech put into these motors, it wouldn't hurt to wait it out a few months.

·
Registered
124 Posts
As noted already the 1.5T engine is available already over seas in the Jade RS and Step WGN. Personally with all the new technology I would wait for the 2017 model year. You will get a better deal along with having the bugs worked out. I would prefer to have less risk of needed the car taken apart. I waited for the 2014 Honda Accord which had the issues worked out of the CVT transmission after the CVT valve body update for the 2013s.

Being this is a Honda it probably matters less if you wait since realistically I do not believe any of us can remember in modern times when Honda really botched a car launch. The main differences in waiting at least 3-6 months after production begins will be minor tweaks such as improved panel alignment, interior fit, paint finish that only those trained will be able to identify those differences. Software updates will come as well.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Wasn't aware of that but with the engine already available hopefully that means we'll see tunes and modifications come to market for it sooner than it would if that wasn't the case. Does anyone know if this is something we can expect?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was all set to buy a 2012 Civic, even though it was a first year production of a new model. I've been around the barn quite a few times and normally wouldn't even consider a first year production car of any make. Horribly disappointed in the offering, so we waited a year. What a difference a year made! The 2013 was almost generation 9.5. I'm in the market for a 10th gen. Civic hatchback, but am holding off until the 2018 MY. That way the new engines will have had two years of "testing" by the consumers and I don't feel like being a $25K guinea pig.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think judging by any issues that are posted on this forum or on sites like this within the first 4 months from current or eventual members will give a general idea if I want to wait to buy a 2016 or 2017.

The 2013 Accord had some CVT hiccups that were fixed by I believe end of July 2013. I was glad I waited for the 2014. But it was not detrimental.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts