10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im reading that 2017 Civic 1.5T in US it has 174 hp and in EU 182 hp. Why is that or am I missing something here ?

R.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
VTC on the 1.5-T.Theres a difference between that and VTEC.

Reactions: barenaked

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
VTC on the 1.5-T.Theres a difference between that and VTEC.
Exactly! Lots of people misunderstand this. VTEC is essentially having two separate camshaft profiles; one for low RPM, providing good torque and excellent drivability, and a camshaft profile for high rpm that has greater lift and longer duration. VTC is a truly variable timing control which allows the camshaft gear to be continuously variable. This allows the valve overlap to be adjusted at any given RPM, which further improves engine efficiency and power output.

Honda only uses this system on the intake camshaft. VTC is always active and adjusting valve overlap for optimal engine efficiency and power at any given RPM. A VTC system is pretty much a requirement on direct injected engines (along with turbocharging) in order to produce usable torque at low engine revs using such a small displacement.

Information for my comments may be found here:

https://dustrunnersauto.com/vtec-vs-ivtec/

Also, Bosch has a terrific You-Cylinder video explaining HOW direct injection systems work, generically speaking. It's good to understand the differences between our GDI turbocharged VTC engines and a DOHC VTEC engine from something like the previous version Si.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Im reading that 2017 Civic 1.5T in US it has 174 hp and in EU 182 hp. Why is that or am I missing something here ?

R.
174hp = 176ps

In Europe we don't even have the 174 or "176ps" motor or the 2.0 litre machine.. only the 1.0 litre Turbo with 129ps 200Nm\147 lbf ft and 1.5 Turbo 182ps with 240Nm\177 lbf ft (manual shifting). But i cannot explain the difference.. In autumn follows a diesel motor for the Sedan and maybe Hatchback in Germany. I got the 1.5litre Hatchback in Sporty Brilliant Blue Color, "Sport Plus" trim, with the Panorama Sunroof and LED lights, 11 Speakers, 7" Display and manual shift gear (32000$). I love that car. But you guys own all the cars in this world. Acura or Honda Integra, NSX, Nissan GTR, Nissan Maxima, Mazda RX-7 etc... in Germany exist only VW Golf :crying:

Edit: The Dual Exhaust System gives the 1.5l Hatchback the boost of 6 horsepower. 174hp to180hp =182ps

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Well there you go they are the same in the US & UK just different units of measurement. As a note the hatch gets more HP due to a tune for premium fuel, exhaust is just decorative for the most part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a note the hatch gets more HP due to a tune for premium fuel, exhaust is just decorative for the most part.
"Differences and Similarities of the 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback vs 2017 Honda Civic Coupe

As you can see, the performance specifications of the two models are similar. Both have turbocharged engines capable of reaching 174 horsepower, with the Civic Hatchback offering 180 horsepower when you add the Center Outlet Dual Exhaust system, giving your hatchback a boost of power"

source: Cannonhonda.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well there you go they are the same in the US & UK just different units of measurement. As a note the hatch gets more HP due to a tune for premium fuel, exhaust is just decorative for the most part.
Jep, heard that also, in EU the only fuel is 95 or 98. Nothing to do with the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
The article he referenced was just from a dealer, not his bad. ECU mapping is set to 91 octane to get 6 more HP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts