10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the forums, and bought my first new car which was a EXL-Navi Hatchback.

I recently got all the bugs worked out with the car and thinking of getting it tuned now.
I drive 100mi every day... so I'll be reaching my 36k warranty in about 1-year from now (already 9k from early October).

For anyone that tunes... any idea what the maximum "SAFE" tune PSI boost is recommended for STOCK intake/exhaust 1.5T Civics?
This is my daily driver, so I want it to last, yet get some extra juice out of it.
My last car drove 230k before I had to make body/tire repairs which totaled 3k plus... didn't make sense anymore.

My local shop is getting their hands on their first 1.5T next week to tune.
They were interested to see how the Hondata default specs could be tweaked to better optimize with the 1.5T.
My co-worker is planning on taking the new Type-R once he gets his hands on it to the same shop in a few months.

Again... I don't plan on changing anything with intake/exhaust... just ECU reprogramming.
Was hoping someone could give me some numbers before I decide to dish out $850 to get it tuned.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I'm tuned at 21psi with Ktuner.I have a CVT also.Vitvipers 1.5-T with a MT is tuned at 27psi.Ktuner offers more adjustments then Flash Pro at this time.I started with Flash Pro BTW but switched.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm tuned at 21psi with Ktuner.I have a CVT also.Vitvipers 1.5-T with a MT is tuned at 27psi.Ktuner offers more adjustments then Flash Pro at this time.I started with Flash Pro BTW but switched.
Did you have to add an intercooler and swap out your exhaust to get stable numbers?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Ive only got the Mishimoto intake with a tune and no issues stabilizing anything.Im at 22 psi not 21 my typo at 100% TPS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How much horse power and torque are you pushing? Also I was planning on getting the Hondata Flashpro but do you think theres something better?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How much horse power and torque are you pushing? Also I was planning on getting the Hondata Flashpro but do you think theres something better?
With 87-Octane the stock Civic = 17-18PSI / 174HP / 162 Torque.
With 91-Octane and Hondata +6 PSI boost = 23-24PSI / 197HP / 218 Torque. <--- (not sure where Honda Pro Jason got 213HP / 241 Torque from)
With 91-Octane and custom tunes + Mishimoto Filter + Intercooler = 25 PSI / 212HP / 230 Torque <--- (however, you get engine knocking)
With 102-Higher Octane fuel + everything above = 27-28PSI / 216 HP / 237 Torque (still stock exhaust)
(all acording to Hondata + DSPort)

I was looking at Hondata because it came with its own Flash Pro kit and not needing to go to a tuner... especially if I was going to keep everything stock.
I'm "assuming" most of Hondata's preset settings are safe for stock builds without a need to go to a tune shop (they did that work for you)?

If I was changing parts, I would need to go to a tune shop because the intake pressure and exhaust back pressure will change and timing will need to be modified to optimize the engine.

Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Check out Ktuner they just added more maps,its less expensive and maps that offer up to 21 psi plus TPS adjustments.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I currently just have the Mishimoto intake installed and I want to get as much power as I can out of a tune. Is Hondata or KTuner the better choice? Since I have the Sport Hatch also I supposedly have 180hp + the intake, I really want this tune to get me over 200hp!

·
Registered
198 Posts
"With 91-Octane and Hondata +6 PSI boost = 23-24PSI / 197HP / 218 Torque. <--- (not sure where Honda Pro Jason got 213HP / 241 Torque from)"

This is false, No one is see 23-24 psi on the +6 PSI High Octane tune with the way the ECU work. The max continual boost Ive seen is 18psi on my Flash Pro. Im running 93 Octane. Sometimes it will peak to 19.5 or 20 but thats literally as Im letting off the gas

Reactions: Deathklok

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
So I currently just have the Mishimoto intake installed and I want to get as much power as I can out of a tune. Is Hondata or KTuner the better choice? Since I have the Sport Hatch also I supposedly have 180hp + the intake, I really want this tune to get me over 200hp!
Im easily over 200WHP on my Ktuner tuned 1.5 CVT EXT,that's with VitViper custom Ktuner tune.Im pushing 22 plus PSI boost.

Reactions: Dallasjhawk

·
Registered
2 Posts
So that is 240 to the crank? How much torque are you pushing? Your engine doing well so far? I just got a civic cvt sport, they didn't have a manual in my area and I needed a car for work right away.

I sent you a message regarding some things. Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
So that is 240 to the crank? How much torque are you pushing? Your engine doing well so far? I just got a civic cvt sport, they didn't have a manual in my area and I needed a car for work right away.

I sent you a message regarding some things. Thank you!!
My calibration has been converted to a boost by gear calibration a few months ago and dialed back to peak at 21 PSI of Boost.Ive put about 4000 miles on my car with this calibration with zero issues.Ive also had some of my best MPG lately at 46.8 MPG.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Did that intake give you much? I have read that intakes on this engine don't do much for gains just mostly for a better sound?
No gains just sound from what Ive heard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just happened to run across this thread while looking for something else and just wanted to chime in with a little data, naturally a teaser for some upcoming content, and bring it back from the dead.

First, SonicTMan is sort of right about the intakes for these. The biggest restriction we face when developing intakes for MAF based cars is that pesky sensor. In order to release something that doesn't require a tune, we have to keep the MAF housing around the same size as stock with just a little bit of wiggle room. Typically bigger is better, but too big and it will skew the long term fuel trim too much and throw a code. For the 1.5T Civic, however, we actually got better results after shrinking the size of the MAF housing, and were able to squeeze another 9hp and 9ft-lbs of torque out of out test car, but has the potential for more with a tune. Not to mention it really turns up that turbo sound track ;)

In regards to the tuning, we recently had a Sport Hatch in for our intercooler testing (for those of you who haven't seen our thread, be sure to check it out, there's going to be a huge post very soon) and we wanted to make sure it would be able to hold up to the tunes that many of you are most likely going to equip. The biggest concern with turning up the boost is the heat. While you're churning out more power, but your stock intercooler is going to soak up that heat. We ran Hondata's +9psi tune and were seeing inlet temps up to about 340*F, about 100 degrees hotter than the stock tune, and about 115-120*F outlet temps. Something to consider is that the heat from the intercooler is also passing to the radiator as well, and can add some extra stress on the cooling system. We saw similar issues with the Focus RS as well.

We are currently working on a bar and plate performance intercooler, and whether or not you wait for ours to release, I would definitely recommend keeping changing out the stock core.

As an added bonus we ran the Sport Hatch with the Hondata +9psi tune, our intake and full intercooling set up and we had numbers well over 200hp ;)

-Nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive posted at least in one other forum ... how much can these lil tykes take ? I guess what I'm really asking .. how long will it run before turning the engine and/or CVT into toast .. that is .. if these mods are being done on the CVT as opposed to the stick.

... and ofcourse there is always the topic of warranty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm waiting for Honda to offer the 2.0 in the Type R into something with a DCT, although I am warming up to the idea of learning stick on a used car, would never learn on a new age Honda. This is in anticipation of a Type R engine in a lower trim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My buddy has the 17 sport with the CVT and I have the 18 sport touring with CVT. Our question is how much boost can the CVT handle? I’m liking the numbers for the manual and starting to wish I had just got the Si, but here I am and I’m starting my mod list. So knowing what the CVT can handle is going to weigh in on my UG list. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts