10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I've had my white '17 Si Coupe since mid-July. Time for a proper intro and photos. It's my 4th Si Coupe - others were '06, '09 and '14. Had a '95 Del Sol VTEC too! Not sure if I'm the oldest on this forum, but I'm probably close.

So far, I've got mixed feelings about this '17's build quality. I've already posted about the shifter getting stuck. It hasn't happened again, knock on wood, but it is still harder/more fussy to shift it into reverse. Quite often it's easiest to shift into a forward gear first, and then it goes more easily into reverse. I've read in the thread about several of you having similar trouble.

When it comes to rattles/noises, fit and finish, I'm really f-ing fussy. Cars are expensive and I don't like worrying about issues that shouldn't be there in the first place. I've noticed several things that I'll post about soon in separate threads, to see if anyone else has similar problems and if they've found a way to correct them.

On a brighter note, I will also be posting about recommended products that I've either used on, or have added to the car. I am NOT affiliated with any of these companies, I only want to share my experiences. Here's the first...

Chrome Trim Blackout using vinyl wrap: See Photos!

I know the jury is split on the chrome trim running along the top of the window. Personally, I didn't like it, so I blacked it out. I chose to do it with vinyl as opposed to Eastwood Elasti-wrap because in my experience with that product, its rubbery finish is a dirt magnet.

I used VViViD brand vinyl. This was my first attempt at vinyl wrapping anything on a car. I bought some of VViViD's standard black matte and also some of their VViViD+ Matte Metallic Black. The standard matte black has the appearance you'd expect, and is a near perfect match (95% match, or better) to the surrounding matte black window trim on the car.

The + Matte Metallic Black is a slightly lighter-appearing black tone with a very fine metallic fleck in it. When it catches the light the right way, it has a premium-looking effect. I've shown a side-by-side photo of the two vinyls. I tried to catch them in the right light to show the "muted sparkle" of the metallic one, but the photos of it on the car tell the story best.

I did one side of the car in the standard matte and actually didn't like the way it so closely matched the other trim. It was "too much", so I redid it with the matte metallic black and much prefer the very subtle difference in the shade of the vinyl and overall appearance. It's still an accent trim piece on the car, but now toned way down.

The vinyl itself seems of top quality and when heated, formed nicely. It was my lack of experience that caused me to lose 2-3 years off my life expectancy. Despite buying and/or having all the correct and necessary installation tools, I had to redo each section at least once because I messed up, one way or another. Despite YouTube videos and other beliefs, I say this project is not for the faint of heart or those with minimal patience. It's hard to get the vinyl under the very fine rubber lips along some areas without making it look like it's been beaten up; or trimming along edges that mate with other trim surfaces. If you can get it done, it's certainly worth the effort, IMO.

Recap:

VViViD+ Vinyl: recommended, works well IMO
Chrome Trim Blackout Difficulty Level: Tricky for beginners but not impossible; may cause grey hair

Hope this might help someone other there thinking about blacking out their trim!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you get the "Turbo" for the rocker panels? And is it a Honda item or otherwise?
Hi, the Turbo lettering was on the car when it arrived at the dealership. I assumed it was on all Si models - does yours not have it? I'm sure you can buy the decal from Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I've had my white '17 Si Coupe since mid-July. Time for a proper intro and photos. It's my 4th Si Coupe - others were '06, '09 and '14. Had a '95 Del Sol VTEC too! Not sure if I'm the oldest on this forum, but I'm probably close.

So far, I've got mixed feelings about this '17's build quality. I've already posted about the shifter getting stuck. It hasn't happened again, knock on wood, but it is still harder/more fussy to shift it into reverse. Quite often it's easiest to shift into a forward gear first, and then it goes more easily into reverse. I've read in the thread about several of you having similar trouble.

When it comes to rattles/noises, fit and finish, I'm really f-ing fussy. Cars are expensive and I don't like worrying about issues that shouldn't be there in the first place. I've noticed several things that I'll post about soon in separate threads, to see if anyone else has similar problems and if they've found a way to correct them.

On a brighter note, I will also be posting about recommended products that I've either used on, or have added to the car. I am NOT affiliated with any of these companies, I only want to share my experiences. Here's the first...

Chrome Trim Blackout using vinyl wrap: See Photos!

I know the jury is split on the chrome trim running along the top of the window. Personally, I didn't like it, so I blacked it out. I chose to do it with vinyl as opposed to Eastwood Elasti-wrap because in my experience with that product, its rubbery finish is a dirt magnet.

I used VViViD brand vinyl. This was my first attempt at vinyl wrapping anything on a car. I bought some of VViViD's standard black matte and also some of their VViViD+ Matte Metallic Black. The standard matte black has the appearance you'd expect, and is a near perfect match (95% match, or better) to the surrounding matte black window trim on the car.

The + Matte Metallic Black is a slightly lighter-appearing black tone with a very fine metallic fleck in it. When it catches the light the right way, it has a premium-looking effect. I've shown a side-by-side photo of the two vinyls. I tried to catch them in the right light to show the "muted sparkle" of the metallic one, but the photos of it on the car tell the story best.

I did one side of the car in the standard matte and actually didn't like the way it so closely matched the other trim. It was "too much", so I redid it with the matte metallic black and much prefer the very subtle difference in the shade of the vinyl and overall appearance. It's still an accent trim piece on the car, but now toned way down.

The vinyl itself seems of top quality and when heated, formed nicely. It was my lack of experience that caused me to lose 2-3 years off my life expectancy. Despite buying and/or having all the correct and necessary installation tools, I had to redo each section at least once because I messed up, one way or another. Despite YouTube videos and other beliefs, I say this project is not for the faint of heart or those with minimal patience. It's hard to get the vinyl under the very fine rubber lips along some areas without making it look like it's been beaten up; or trimming along edges that mate with other trim surfaces. If you can get it done, it's certainly worth the effort, IMO.

Recap:

VViViD+ Vinyl: recommended, works well IMO
Chrome Trim Blackout Difficulty Level: Tricky for beginners but not impossible; may cause grey hair

Hope this might help someone other there thinking about blacking out their trim!
Hey bub, I really approximate your post. I have a 2017 civic lx coupe I had a question about the trim. What was the best way to get it off without damaging it? And when I contacted Honda about the back piece of trim on the window. They told me it was part of the window. I can’t find any videos or anything of anyone removing these pieces. Can you tell me if this info is correct? And if it’s not how you got it off? Also I’m torn between using the vinyl you used or getting it painted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts