10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, of course we all know the Type R will now be arriving at our coasts. Along with a whole new line up of the Earth Dreams Turbo engines.

Many are doubting our Type R will be the same as the soon to be released one in Europe. But I have no doubt it'll be putting out the same if not better HP numbers. Especially with the Focus RS and Golf R all putting out 300+ numbers. With maybe a few different features. I'd say Brembos with a loaded interior and top of the line suspension will all still make it into ours.
But what about release date? And price? Maybe pre - order options?

Now to the soon to be second best Si model. While the Type R is what everyone is raving about. Let's take second to recognize what the Si may soon offer. First, new 3/5 door body style. But it'll also feature a new Turbo VTEC engine. Offering no less than 210 HP atleast, I mean why would they back pedal and offer a lesser Si than previous years.
Standard features I'd say would offer a loaded sport interior with the typical stiffer suspension and decent brakes.
Back to the engine though. For those not able to afford the hefty Type R. The Si may still have a lot to offer.
Anyone familiar with a turbo engine knows a simple re tune and PSI bump along with maybe a larger intake/exhaust combo may bring your Si to near Type R HP numbers.
Who knows? Maybe the Si is the same Type R engine just less tuned running lower PSI and less expensive bolts ons.
Will you get the brakes, suspension, and everything else that the Type R offers? No, but you may get the same engine with a whole lot of potential.

Well my rant is over. Discuss!

·
Registered
135 Posts
So, of course we all know the Type R will now be arriving at our coasts. Along with a whole new line up of the Earth Dreams Turbo engines.

Many are doubting our Type R will be the same as the soon to be released one in Europe. But I have no doubt it'll be putting out the same if not better HP numbers. Especially with the Focus RS and Golf R all putting out 300+ numbers. With maybe a few different features. I'd say Brembos with a loaded interior and top of the line suspension will all still make it into ours.
But what about release date? And price? Maybe pre - order options?

Now to the soon to be second best Si model. While the Type R is what everyone is raving about. Let's take second to recognize what the Si may soon offer. First, new 3/5 door body style. But it'll also feature a new Turbo VTEC engine. Offering no less than 210 HP atleast, I mean why would they back pedal and offer a lesser Si than previous years.
Standard features I'd say would offer a loaded sport interior with the typical stiffer suspension and decent brakes.
Back to the engine though. For those not able to afford the hefty Type R. The Si may still have a lot to offer.
Anyone familiar with a turbo engine knows a simple re tune and PSI bump along with maybe a larger intake/exhaust combo may bring your Si to near Type R HP numbers.
Who knows? Maybe the Si is the same Type R engine just less tuned running lower PSI and less expensive bolts ons.
Will you get the brakes, suspension, and everything else that the Type R offers? No, but you may get the same engine with a whole lot of potential.

Well my rant is over. Discuss!
I think we also need to consider that Honda may reserve the truly bonkers stuff for the inevitable Acura. If the Civic is all new its fair to assume the ILX will be as well. ILX Type S, Integra Type R reincarnate...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't plan on modifying this one any further than OEM+.

I'm worried about what the pricetag will be... First reports are mid 20's, but who knows what they'll be inflated to by the time the R hits the show room. I mean ****, the 2015 Si is $24k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2016 civic SI w/ turbo engine would mean higher gas octane level right? I don't think you can put regular gas anymore if the engine will be turbo.

Honda Civic Type R -- really excited about the +R button they are talking about.
Honda Civic Si -- they should add a +SI button as well. (hahaha)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the Si is going to have to run premium for sure with a turbo vtec engine. Honestly, you should probably run it already. Theyre slightly higher compression than normal civics. Also, its healthy in the long run.

As far as price goes... The Type R wont be cheap. 30k at the LEAST. Si's probably running around the same for what they go for now.
Also lets remember the 5 door hatch will be made in the UK and shipped across the atlantic... So yeah, 5 door Type R wont be cheap.
With the coupe and sedan being produced in the US id say a Si will still be very affordable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, the Si is going to have to run premium for sure with a turbo vtec engine. Honestly, you should probably run it already. Theyre slightly higher compression than normal civics. Also, its healthy in the long run.

As far as price goes... The Type R wont be cheap. 30k at the LEAST. Si's probably running around the same for what they go for now.
Also lets remember the 5 door hatch will be made in the UK and shipped across the atlantic... So yeah, 5 door Type R wont be cheap.
With the coupe and sedan being produced in the US id say a Si will still be very affordable.
MUGEN si was priced $29,500 w/ $635 destination fee ~ $30K
Only 1000 in production

Expect the Type-R to be 1,500 made the first year. The price will rise at EVO/STI price $34,495. With the EVO out of the picture to compete with STI's, the Type R will be competing with the STI in price.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Not all turbos need high octane gas, especially with more and more manufacturers turning to them for fuel econ. A regular 1.5T Civic sedan likely won't need premium...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think they should keep the 2.4L NA in the SI.

like the 2016 ILX's engine
With tougher fuel economy standards to meet, this could be the first time we see them go turbocharged. There's just no reason not to, both sufficient power and great fuel economy can be achieved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 2.4L needs 240hp in my book should be in the engine bay of a 9th gen.

The 01-05 was a bust. The 12-15 was a bust.

North America CIVIC SI has gone down it's sales since 2001.
Sales picked up when the RSX-S had a motor. So they decided to put that in the Civic SI and sales picked up again since 06-11.

Civic comeback in 2016???

Bring back the Type-R to the U.S. and boost that at 305hp (HATCH ONLY). Let the USDM have the 2.4L in the SI and boost it's power back up to 240hp-260hp on the sedan/coupe. This would be my 10th gen dream! :D

·
Registered
876 Posts

Sales picked up when the RSX-S had a motor. So they decided to put that in the Civic SI and sales picked up again since 06-11.

Bring back the Type-R to the U.S. and boost that at 305hp (HATCH ONLY). Let the USDM have the 2.4L in the SI and boost it's power back up to 240hp-260hp on the sedan/coupe. This would be my 10th gen dream! :D
YES!
Big HP per liter days from honda need to return. Time is prime for such a car, Honda needs something refreshing going on and this should be it

·
Registered
959 Posts

The increase in Si sales from 06 on is more attributable to the Si sedan then the motor. 2001 was the quirky 5 door SiR from Europe which was never loved on our side. Your statistics are misleading and lack the context which makes them valuable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The increase in Si sales from 06 on is more attributable to the Si sedan then the motor. 2001 was the quirky 5 door SiR from Europe which was never loved on our side. Your statistics are misleading and lack the context which makes them valuable.
It's the motor. Next in line is the chassis. Honda likes to have their best years and motors in a generation apart to keep that generation sales have value.
If the Type-R quiky 5 door hatch came to our side, I would bet that the tables on that model would have turned around differently.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's the motor. Next in line is the chassis. Honda likes to have their best years and motors in a generation apart to keep that generation sales have value.
If the Type-R quiky 5 door hatch came to our side, I would bet that the tables on that model would have turned around differently.
I don't bet a thing on the Type R. America is all talk, Scion FRS sales are in a pit, the Golf R has never sold well here. Sorry we're not a hot hatch nation.

Yea the motor is nice, but there's a reason Honda came out with the 4 door Si, they were losing die hard loyalists, guys who grew up in Civics. Now they had families and Honda had nothing to offer in terms of a similar 'experience'. Honda betrayed their logic when only offering the Mugen Si as a sedan.

The best I can give you in terms of figures is the delta between 2006 and 2007. The key difference between the two years is the addition of the Si Sedan for the 2007 MY

2006: 316,638
2007: 331,095

Granted we don't know how much of that is attributable to the Si sedan alone vs normal growth. But if you look at 2008 the increase has slowed to 8,000 units. Now that could simply be diminishing returns OR a return to normal growth rates. AFAIK Honda doesn't publish figures broken down by trim level, this is the closest I could get. Sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned Civics since the early 80s, I own and drive a 1998 Type R, I also own a 2015 Civic SI 4 door. I'm completely disappointed about this Accord pretending to be a Civic, sorry buy if I wanted an Accord ahem a 2" fatter 2016 Civic I would buy one (the Accord). Plus what is all the hype the 2.0 liter is a compete gutless wonder engine that get better MPG in the era of sub $2 a gallon gas and is SPANKED in all other areas by the 2.4 SI. Come Honda already tried to sell the turkey setup in the ILX and that was a bad joke and finally dropped leaving only the 2.4. Now I'm supposed to be all excited about the most powerful base engine ever.... the same 2.0 turkey that they could not sell in ILX? I think not. Till the SI comes out and it better have the 2015 ILX 2.4 direct inject, I would buy just buy an Accord with the same great 2.4 as the Civic SI.

The turbo 1.5 please, I want my Civic to go 300,000 miles with MINIMAL maintenance and I'm probably 1/10 that actually change oil on time with a quality synthetic. Ya think with 110 texas weather, stop and go in Austin and the cheapest bunker oil that JiffyLube has on special changed 2000 miles after the service engine light comes on is going to really protect the engine?? Oh don't get me going on why Syntec is not a synthetic motor oil, just dino lube sold with hype and bribes to SAE..

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've owned Civics since the early 80s, I own and drive a 1998 Type R, I also own a 2015 Civic SI 4 door. I'm completely disappointed about this Accord pretending to be a Civic, sorry buy if I wanted an Accord ahem a 2" fatter 2016 Civic I would buy one (the Accord). Plus what is all the hype the 2.0 liter is a compete gutless wonder engine that get better MPG in the era of sub $2 a gallon gas and is SPANKED in all other areas by the 2.4 SI. Come Honda already tried to sell the turkey setup in the ILX and that was a bad joke and finally dropped leaving only the 2.4. Now I'm supposed to be all excited about the most powerful base engine ever.... the same 2.0 turkey that they could not sell in ILX? I think not. Till the SI comes out and it better have the 2015 ILX 2.4 direct inject, I would buy just buy an Accord with the same great 2.4 as the Civic SI.

The turbo 1.5 please, I want my Civic to go 300,000 miles with MINIMAL maintenance and I'm probably 1/10 that actually change oil on time with a quality synthetic. Ya think with 110 texas weather, stop and go in Austin and the cheapest bunker oil that JiffyLube has on special changed 2000 miles after the service engine light comes on is going to really protect the engine?? Oh don't get me going on why Syntec is not a synthetic motor oil, just dino lube sold with hype and bribes to SAE..
If they use the 2.0 in the new Si it will be turbo... they aren't going to step backwards on the Si when the regular civic has jumped forward so far.

Also, so far all of your posts have been bashing the new civic to no end. If you don't like it or what honda is doing, go find another car and let the rest of us enjoy it without your snide commentary as it's contributing literally nothing to the conversations. k? thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry we're not a hot hatch nation.
Tell that to all the guys scrounging for gently used WRX's because they discontinued the hatch version (which accounted for half of WRX sales).

I don't fully understand the Type R on paper. I doubt it will be much cheaper than an STI or Golf R, yet lacks AWD and at least the Euro version has a lower 0-60 figure. These things don't matter much to me but it does to a lot of performance oriented buyers. Yet the current version gets good reviews. I guess we'll find out in a couple years...

·
Registered
959 Posts
I doubt there much we can glean about gen 10 ctr based on the current car. 2.0t sure...next car will go awd, everyone is doing it. You think they learbed a thing or two from the nsx about e AWD...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts