10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else? I've had this a couple times. Moderate RPMs, gentle shifting. It's happened a couple times now. Does hot happen at redline and WOT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have noticed that shifting into the 3rd gear is sometimes «harder». But I have not heard an audible grind.

Downshift ok, its only at upshift that I notice.

I have a '17 Civic Lx, I think I'm only at 50 km on the odometer since 1 month of owning the car. So she still has lots of break-in time needed.

I have also noticed a strong burning plastic smell when the heater is turned up really high, it seems to come and go. Hoping its just because its new!

·
Registered
922 Posts
That's really weird that it doesn't happen close to redline or at WOT. That's typically when something like that would happen opposed to when your calmly trotting along. Check the fluid level ?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Is it happening when you move the shifter or when you disengage the clutch? I have driven five 2016/17s and the gates on the gear box are all different, some are silky smooth in and out and some you have to "pop" in and out of. Sometimes it almost sounds like a grind and 3rd seems to be the one that mimics that the most. p.s. mine is the worst of all five i have driven, on very cold mornings it's hard to go through the gears the first time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree it's weird that it doesn't happen at redline/WOT. My new '07 Civic SI grinded going into 2nd gear at redline/WOT (as did almost everybody else's).

So it happened when clutch was in, and I moved the shifter from 2nd to 3rd. As I was trying to get into 3rd, I heard the grind. It acts more like the clutch isn't fully disengaged. The first time I thought it might be user error (i.e. clutch not all the way in) but the second time, I know for a fact the clutch was all the way in because I was conscious of the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Sport and same thing is happening to me. Started at 500 miles. At first I thought it was driver error but I've tried different shifting techniques and it still happens. I feel it in second gear as well. It really feels more like a rough shift than a grind but I do hear a fairly loud click when it goes into third. It only happens when I'm cruising.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is that the car only does it when it wants to. It would be very hard to duplicate for a dealer. interesting that I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 16 LX sedan 6MT. I've noticed that until the tranny fluid gets a little heat into it I get a little grind in 2nd and 3rd. Seems to be worse the colder ambient temps. On a really cold day it'll take 5 miles or so. On a warm day it takes 1/2 a mile. And on a hot day it takes about 1 shift into each gear.

Keep in mind this thing is 10x better than my T56 will ever be. (V8 muscle car)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't noticed any problem yet (4000 mi) with 3rd on my 2017 LX Sedan.
Vent warning: What happens to me that I do hate, is that going from 5th to 6th, it wants to shift back into 4th. I have to really make a deliberate effort to go into 6th.
(no grinds or anything).

Glenn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, going into 6th takes an intentional straight rearward move. But that's not really any different than other 6MT cars. (I have a muscle car w/6MT and its exactly the same)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts