10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
This one time merging on to the highway in "mexico" I hit 135 in 5th and it still had more to go but I had to let off.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
The non SI models with governor removed are hitting the mid to high 160's. That's too fast for a stock Civic, upgrades needed to be safe at that speed!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wouldn't try it. Aerodynamics are what will kill you. Possibly literally.

I have a supercharged '95 Civic, and found a stretch of nicely paved highway that even went downhill with visibility to spot the 5/0 for miles - so I punched it from the top to see what I could get to. Somewhere around 130 things simply start to get squirrelly, and that was with the car having a pretty solid suspension (Neuspeed sport springs, Koni shocks, and a ST anti-sway kit, although that doesn't come into play at straight speeds). The car will start to drift around, and that has nothing to do with the suspension - it has to do with the car starting to lift off the ground.

Perhaps if you drill out (or remove) the rear bumper, provide a larger outlet opening than the combined front air inlets / front bumper gap provide, then you can create the suction force to keep the car planted. The new cars do come with some plastic under-belly pans, but I don't know anyway how much of a role they are designed to play for high speed aerodynamics - I suspect they exist more to smooth the underside in the pursuit of better fuel economy, which may actually decrease rather than increase downforce.

Just saying, I wouldn't play that game - besides the ticket, you'll find very few sympathetic to a headline that reads "car estimated to have flipped over 10 times, occupants inside killed at the scene of the crash".

·
Registered
135 Posts
Car's too light and not enough downforce, so I won't be experimenting anytime soon. The car likes to move in the lane when there's the slightest of crosswind at 75mph; don't want to know what that'll be like at double the speed...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard through the grapevine that it's governed at around 138mph and feels perfectly planted and smooth at that speed with no handling issues that stick out. Maybe someday I'll actually get to try it out for myself. *wink* *wink* ;) 0:):D

·
Registered
1 Posts
They'll hit 160mph with the stock horsepower?
Only in somebody's dreams. No way you get an Si up to 160 even with an extra 15 - 20 hp which is all you can get out of a simple reflash. Although many people will claim to get more, they never show the actual dynamometer output. Talk is cheap but increasing Si top speed to 160 is not...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got up to 140 in a bone stock 2018 SI Coupe, let off due to instability. Car starts to lift at around 120, there's just nothing keeping you on the ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts