10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not concerned with numerical ratios or the like. I know the only 6MT currently available is with the 2.0NA engine, but I'm confident an identical setup will come with the 1.5T, so here's my request:

Will some owner of a 6MT civic please post steady state rpm while cruising in top gear, for 60, 70, and 80 mph? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am actually interested in this too.

However, I dont share your confidence that the ratios will be the same. A small displacement turbo engine has alot different gearing requirements due to its torque curve that an N/A Motor doesnt have.

Thanks,

Reactions: dick w

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually interested in this too.

However, I dont share your confidence that the ratios will be the same. A small displacement turbo engine has alot different gearing requirements due to its torque curve that an N/A Motor doesnt have.

Thanks,
True, but more expensive retooling, etc. to carry two distinctive 6MT's for the same car. My main concern is that Honda doesn't screw it up like they did for Fit two years ago after they "upgraded" to a 6MT. I was chomping at the bit to buy one, until I found out that instead of merely adding an overdrive 6th gear to the existing 5 speed, the engineers had to redo the whole thing, resulting in a manual that drones at 3500 rpm on the interstate at 70 mph like a 4 speed from back in the 60's. Just hoping that with the new Civic, the ratios are more evenly spaced, and hopefully able to cruise at 70 mph while turning about 2600 rpm.
We shall see if Honda did their homework!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just joined the forum and picking up my 6MT LX in a few days. I can find that out for you.
Thank you sir! When available, please post in mph/rpm units instead of kph. :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
True, but more expensive retooling, etc. to carry two distinctive 6MT's for the same car. My main concern is that Honda doesn't screw it up like they did for Fit two years ago after they "upgraded" to a 6MT. I was chomping at the bit to buy one, until I found out that instead of merely adding an overdrive 6th gear to the existing 5 speed, the engineers had to redo the whole thing, resulting in a manual that drones at 3500 rpm on the interstate at 70 mph like a 4 speed from back in the 60's. Just hoping that with the new Civic, the ratios are more evenly spaced, and hopefully able to cruise at 70 mph while turning about 2600 rpm.
The fact that the civic models come with 2 different CVT versions for the two engine choices would lead me to believe there will be 2 slightly different versions of the 6 speed manual as well, as the one currently on the 2.0NA might not be well suited for the 1.5T and it's power band. It might also be why honda delayed release of the 6MT for the turbos, in order to develop and test a different transmission setup for the turbo specific models.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You and I are pretty much in the same boat. I bought a 2007 Fit Sport 5MT in January that year, and I've been ready to replace it for more than a year now. I was excited to learn the new Fit would have a 6MT, then totally turned off when I found out the new 6th gear was the same as the old 5th. They also slightly reduced cargo capacity behind the rear seats to increase legroom in the rear seats. I almost never have rear seat passengers, and I'd really like to have a little MORE capacity behind the rear seats. On top of that, reviewers say the Fit lost some of its fun to drive factor.

Now I'm waiting for the 6MT on the new Civic hatchback. I will compare test drives with the Golf TSI and Mazda3 2.0, then pick whichever I think I'll be happiest with for the next 10 years (I've owned 3 cars in the last 30+ years). A big chunk of my miles are long road trips, so a fairly quiet interstate cruiser is important -- but a manual transmission in a hatchback that's fun to drive and gets good fuel economy are absolute requirements.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fact that the civic models come with 2 different CVT versions for the two engine choices would lead me to believe there will be 2 slightly different versions of the 6 speed manual as well, as the one currently on the 2.0NA might not be well suited for the 1.5T and it's power band. It might also be why honda delayed release of the 6MT for the turbos, in order to develop and test a different transmission setup for the turbo specific models.

My bad...I didn't know there were two different CVT's for the Civic. I could see different ECU programming for the two different engines, but not two different CVT's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright! Thanks! Now that's what I'm talking about - Honda seems to have cured it's "anal-cranial inversion" disease that was evident in the Fit 6MT.
Good Job! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts