10th Honda Civic Forum banner

9th gen vs 10th gen clutch feel

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  10genSi 
#1 ·
My 2013 civic si was recently rear ended and was labeled a total loss, so i'm in the market for a new car. I'm really leaning towards a civic hatchback sport MT, but was wondering how the clutch feel compares to the 9th gen si? I've read that the clutches are pretty lame on these new models.

I actually really liked the clutch on the 9th gen and was hoping for a similar feel. Anybody who's driven both have any feedback? Thanks!

#2 ·
I've never driven the 9th gen, but my coupe has the most horrible clutch I've ever experienced.
Even just resting my foot on the clutch, when throttling high, it'll slip.
I've had to adjust my driving habits to conserve the integrity of the clutch.
Basically, "granny shifting and not double clutching" (or what I mean is: "really REALLY be gentle with it")
My last car was a 2008 Scion xB2 with a Manual Transmission.
The Toyota clutch took some torture but still held up beautifully.
I've put 22,000 miles on my Civic and the clutch still seems to be holding up, BUT !!!
I've had a few occasions here and there from hard revving where it loses grip completely.

#4 ·
It's my understanding that the new Civic manuals have a Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) installed on them. The intention of this is to slow the engagement of the clutch, similar to a damped record player tone-arm, gently lowering the needle to the surface of a record. The theory is that this makes for a smoother clutch operation, but the reality is that it can cause premature clutch wear over time. I've heard that some people have managed to remove this device or install modified versions, but I don't personally have any experience with this.

Information on CDV's

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.