10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Raise your hand if you're just as curious as we are about what Honda is doing with three tips on the CTR mules. Well, we have a theory.

It involves sound, fury and Formula 1.

For the 2016 F1 Season the FIA is aiming to increase the volume of the V6 turbo hybrids, which is notably muted compared to the screamers of yore. As you may know turbocharged engines are significantly quieter then a naturally aspirated motor, the turbine acting as a second muffler of sorts, dampening the sound.

The turbo has a similar effect on exhaust systems, where the exhaust-side impeller disrupts the exhaust flow by creating an extra gate for the sound to have to flow through. When talking about cars with exciting exhaust sounds, most people gravitate to sounds where the individual “pluses” of cylinders firing are very defined, creating an exciting burble or rhythm to the engine’s sound. Unfortunately for turbos, the turbo itself acts as a sort of “revolving door” where the air has to enter (and therefore exit) the turbo in a smoother, more consistent pattern. Much like the effect on the intake, this results in a flatter, more sinusoidal tone to the exhaust, which most people would say is less exciting than an NA engine of similar design. The turbo also tends to make the exhaust quieter as a byproduct.
So for next year the FIA has decided that all cars must have one tailpipe for the turbine and 2 smaller tailpipes for the wastegate.

“For 2016, all cars must have a separate exhaust wastegate tailpipe through which all and only wastegate exhaust gases must pass,” noted the FIA. “This measure has been undertaken to increase the noise of the cars and will not have any significant effect on power or emissions.”

This is how Honda intends to do it on their 2016 powerunit

How does this relate to the CTR?

Coming back to the K20C1 in the Type R, we see the smaller diameter pipe in the centre of the two larger, could Honda be using a similar noise boosting strategy on the 10th Gen CTR? Granted they would have to run a separate exhaust all the way back just for waste gases but it would certainly help distinguish the different mechanical sounds. For comparison, the somewhat docile sounding 2015 CTR

Most OEM turbos feature an integrated wastegate which robs us of the distinct sound and fury of fluttering waste gases that we've come to know and love. Internal wastegates simply dump excess gasses downstream into the exhaust. While other manufactures are fiddling with pumping sound into the cabin to liven up the 'experience', Honda would blow them all away with what essentially could function as an extended screamer pipe.

C'mon Honda, do something crazy!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Could it possibly be this is why the 1.5T civics have 2 tail pipes as well even though 2 pipes isn't really necessary? An increase in sound????

·
Registered
959 Posts
Screamer pipes are insane!!!

I don't know if its going to be quite the same effect, but I do agree the video posted above certainly sounds somewhat boring... the road was great and the car looked compliant but watching I couldn't help thinking so what, what's so special about it... we've talked about it before the current CTR isn't a game changer, its a good player for sure, but its no Michael Jordan...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I have a turbo car now and no one would EVER call it quiet. In fact it's louder than 90% of other cars and trucks easily. 500 Abarth, they have it figured out, search a YouTube clip or two on Abarth exhaust if you've not heard one as they are quite loud. That's half the fun of driving the snarling little meatball lol. When first looking a few years back the dealer started it up and my wife said "No way. Pass." Meanwhile I lit up in a huge smile and after getting in and driving it she agreed.

Super loud and snarly and only a 1.4 liter engine. Hoping the Si is not super silent.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have a turbo car now and no one would EVER call it quiet. In fact it's louder than 90% of other cars and trucks easily. 500 Abarth, they have it figured out, search a YouTube clip or two on Abarth exhaust if you've not heard one as they are quite loud. That's half the fun of driving the snarling little meatball lol. When first looking a few years back the dealer started it up and my wife said "No way. Pass." Meanwhile I lit up in a huge smile and after getting in and driving it she agreed.

Super loud and snarly and only a 1.4 liter engine. Hoping the Si is not super silent.
"Snarling little meatball" LMAO!

I'm hoping honda tunes the exhaust note as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts