10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently bought a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport (manual) and the infotainment system is lacking. I know higher trimmed models can have CarPlay units but having a manual was and saving money on other features was more important to me.

So, my question is, does anyone know of any aftermarket CarPlay units that fit my Civic? I obviously googled it, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for as I've never replaced a head unit before.

Bonus question: Have any of you installed a strut bar? Did you notice a big difference? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

· Registered
88 Posts
You want to look for double-DIN unit with a screen the same dimensions as your current one. Be careful because screen dimensions are shown as corner to corner. Be sure to measure the actual width and depth of your Honda screen and find the same dimensions on the one you are thinking of buying. There are several units that offer only Apple car play. It is nice to find one that has FM as well to hear news and traffic info. Unless you have an app on your phone for that of course. Crutchfield.com is a good source for the unit, mounting hardware, the wiring harness I mention below, and great tech support.

I highly recommend you purchase a compatible Honda wire harness to mate with your new unit so it is plug and play. There are several ways to connect the wires between the units. Avoid cheap plastic crimp or wire "biting" connectors because they will eventually fail due to temp changes and bumps. The best technique is solder and heat-shrink wrap, although I have seen folks use household wire nuts and wrapping the whole mess with electrical tape. smh

I have removed several dashboards and the trick is to go online or find a shop manual that shows you were to start the process. Most newer cars, and I assume our Hondas, don't have direct access to the head unit. Get a decent set of pry tools from Amazon or Harbor Freight (although, I have seen folks use a screw driver with a couple of wraps of tape to avoid scratching) and find that first panel and gently but firmly (don't be too shy) pop it off. Then it is a series of screws and connectors to disassemble the puzzle until you can get to the radio mounts.

Let us know how it goes, what unit you found, and PICS!

· Registered
382 Posts
go to crutchfield to get an idea as to what you can install in your car.

strut bars, the correct ones, can make a difference. there are many out there that look cool but don't do much in the way of stiffening up the suspension. true strut bars are one piece units as they don't flex as much as units with multiple pivot points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.