10th Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
So, we got the car back the other day, nicely detailed. They did NOTHING to the a/c, but it worked like a charm in the heat and humidity we've had the past two days. All the service manager said was, "Keep it in auto". I started messing with all of the climate control settings when I was getting hot air on Auto-Lo.
When I was there the last time, I was talking to a advisor that I had become friendly with. He's a classic car guy, so we hit off. He was telling me Honda has new machines for a/c repair. 100% computer driven. He admitted, the techs still need training on it. But, the service manager said after the machine gave them no errors, and charged the system(it won't charge unless the pressure test passes) he found oil residue around the Hi-side line fitting. It was leaking, and the brand new machine missed it.
Long story short, the machine works on it's own. The techs rely that capability, and sometimes forget to check the obvious. Being that the machine charges automatically, the last time they ran our car on it for testing, could have fixed our gremlin.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So, we got the car back the other day, nicely detailed. They did NOTHING to the a/c, but it worked like a charm in the heat and humidity we've had the past two days. All the service manager said was, "Keep it in auto". I started messing with all of the climate control settings when I was getting hot air on Auto-Lo.
When I was there the last time, I was talking to a advisor that I had become friendly with. He's a classic car guy, so we hit off. He was telling me Honda has new machines for a/c repair. 100% computer driven. He admitted, the techs still need training on it. But, the service manager said after the machine gave them no errors, and charged the system(it won't charge unless the pressure test passes) he found oil residue around the Hi-side line fitting. It was leaking, and the brand new machine missed it.
Long story short, the machine works on it's own. The techs rely that capability, and sometimes forget to check the obvious. Being that the machine charges automatically, the last time they ran our car on it for testing, could have fixed our gremlin.
Glad to hear they treated you right and fixed the problem! Hope it stays this way!

·
Registered
114 Posts
The other day was 95 degrees. I jump in the car, fire up the A/C(actually it was on auto) and drive home. After a couple of miles, I realize the air is getting hotter. I messed with alll the climate controls, turned it down to "lo", manually turned on the a/c...nothing. I swing by the dealership, and the service managers grabs his thermometer and heads to the car with me. Starts it, revs it to 1500 r.p.m., and we watch the temp from the vents go from ambient 95, to 116! After arguing over a rental, I finally get picked up by Enterprise to drive home in my sweet Sentra. If I didn't have the lifetime wrap package, I would have nothing, so I guess I'm ahead of the game. I get a call the next day saying the car is all set. I asked the problem, and the service advisor said, "No Freon". as in 0 psi.He said the system was leak tested 3 times, and the first time the system was in full vacuum. Honda let the car leave the factory without an ounce of Freon in it. Which also means, not an ounce of compressor oil. Hopefully,the compressor never kicked in, seeing as it was vacuum. This is my first Honda, and more than likely my last. The car has 2k on it, and the smart entry had to be rebooted(which Honda never told me, because they don't know what the issue is), and now this. I'm also getting some rattles in the dash. Honda quality ain't what it used to be.
My LX hatch is flawless!! I use an old fashioned key so no Smart Entry issues and no rattles for crying out loud! Made in UK. Is yours made in Ohio or some ****.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in Canada and a similar thing happened to my 2016 Civic 4 Dr LX...A small stone entered the large unprotected area immediately under the licence plate and hit the condenser causing a leak...If you look at it closely the small fins on the condenser are hardly dented...I took it to a dealer in Vaughan Ontario who showed me the problem and then found out Honda does not have the Condensor in Canada ...So far over a week has gone by and no condenser ie no air conditioning in this hot weather....I complained to Honda Canada re this design fault as well as no part and I have received nothing but a run around....They gave me a complaint number and said they normally reply within 2 business days which never happened...Needless to say as a Honda owner who has bought a Civic in the past and currently own a 17 CRV I am mighty ticked off with Honda Canada's lack of response...

·
Registered
8 Posts
When the condenser does come in I am looking at a $1300 bill for repair....The crazy thing is I live 30 minutes from the Honda Civic plant in Alliston Ontario and these cars are coming off the assembly line as we speak...I am sure they have air conditioners in them yet Honda tells me the part is not in Canada...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sort of related: Every time I see a plastic shopping bag drifting around on the highway my butt clenches for fear it will get stuck in front of my intercooler and cause a melt down. I hold my breath while watching the rear view mirror to make sure it appears behind me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Part still not here...

When the condenser does come in I am looking at a $1300 bill for repair....The crazy thing is I live 30 minutes from the Honda Civic plant in Alliston Ontario and these cars are coming off the assembly line as we speak...I am sure they have air conditioners in them yet Honda tells me the part is not in Canada...
2 weeks have gone by and still no part at my dealership....Very poor service from Honda for a top selling car...

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
I had my 2016 LX in two weeks ago, blowing hot air, but there AC machine was not working so I still don't have air and don't know what the issue is yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After 2 weeks the Condenser finally arrived at the dealership in Vaughan Ontario....and was installed for a quote of $1300 in total...

Complained to Honda customer relations,,sent photos in complaining about poor design of front bumper ie no protection for the condenser from road hazards.....After numerous frustrating phone calls they put it up to customer mediation...I was then told it would not be covered and I was on my own....They used the road hazard escape clause in their warranty....I was not impressed....

·
Registered
8 Posts
No protection for AC Condenser....

I am in Canada and a similar thing happened to my 2016 Civic 4 Dr LX...A small stone entered the large unprotected area immediately under the licence plate and hit the condenser causing a leak...If you look at it closely the small fins on the condenser are hardly dented...I took it to a dealer in Vaughan Ontario who showed me the problem and then found out Honda does not have the Condensor in Canada ...So far over a week has gone by and no condenser ie no air conditioning in this hot weather....I complained to Honda Canada re this design fault as well as no part and I have received nothing but a run around....They gave me a complaint number and said they normally reply within 2 business days which never happened...Needless to say as a Honda owner who has bought a Civic in the past and currently own a 17 CRV I am mighty ticked off with Honda Canada's lack of response...

·
Registered
8 Posts
After 2 weeks the Condenser finally arrived at the dealership in Vaughan Ontario....and was installed for a quote of $1300 in total...

Complained to Honda customer relations,,sent photos in complaining about poor design of front bumper ie no protection for the condenser from road hazards.....After numerous frustrating phone calls they put it up to customer mediation...I was then told it would not be covered and I was on my own....They used the road hazard escape clause in their warranty....I was not impressed....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Think about this....The Honda civic is Canada's best selling car or was.....Why does it take so long to get a condenser for the car....Is it because these 10th generation civics have no protection for the condenser because of that large unprotected opening in the bumper immediately below the licence plate...ie there are so many condensers being replaced Honda does not want to admit they screwed up by not protecting this condenser...There is definitely something wrong when it takes a Honda Dealer so long to get a condenser....

Complain to Honda Customer relations and give them heck on this...We expect better from Honda..

·
Registered
8 Posts
After getting the condenser replaced I took the advice of a person posting on this site and I covered up the opening in the bumper with plastic Gutter Guard from Home Depot...I secured it using black plastic twist ties that you can hardy notice...Cost of protection under $8.00...Now why Honda could not of done the same thing beats me...

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
I finally got my car back in to the dealership today to get an oil change, MVI, and my non functioning AC fixed. They called me at work and told me that the condenser was bad but they had one in stock and that they would replace it under warranty. I did not ask any questions over the phone and when I picked up the car there was no charge. I asked the service tech why it was covered if it was a road hazard and he said that the dealership has changed their policy with regards to the condenser, I asked if this was because of the high failure rate of the condensers and he said yes how did you know. I told him I was a sight moderator on here and that I have seen all the complaints and the long waiting period for replacement parts witch indicates high demand. He then was much more forthcoming with information and told me that they had a huge back-order problem at the first of summer and then when 24 units finally came in ten of them had holes in them right from the factory at that point is when they started covering under warranty. He then told me they went one step further and switched suppliers and the new condensers are much heaver. It sounds like Honda can smell a class action suit on this one and is trying to get ahead of it, so if you or someone you know has paid out of pocket for repairs get back in touch with the dealership or Honda Canada/USA and see if they have changed their position on this. It wouldn't hurt to mention or even print off this thread and bring it with you and that may be enough of a nudge to do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
It looks like the condenser in the 10th gen Civic is of inferior quality. There are documented cases of failure of factory replacement units with visible holes before installation, New cars shipped with no charge left due to holes, claims from dealerships of damage from road debris, and true road debris damage.
My dealership (NB CAN) is admitting an issue and covering under warranty, they are also now using a heaver condenser as "the OEM is flawed"

41 - 60 of 69 Posts