10th Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Honda Civic

I think my a/c went out today. Of course I am just over warranty, by 6k miles, so not much hope there. I have used the a/c only little more than enough to keep the a/c lubricated and sealed. It doesn't sound like the compressor is kicking on, so still have to look for some other issue. I was surprised to see so many a/c issues online for relatively new Honda Civics. Has anyone heard any updates on if there is work on a recall?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Adding on to this issue. I have owned my 2016 Civic LX for less than 5 years and within those 5 years, I started noticing that my AC stopped blowing cold air, I figured, I need a recharge and took it to the dealer. Dealer diagnosed me for $164 and said I had an AC leak on the line, ok, not a big deal so I had the line replaced and recharged for an insane amount of $441 (curse you 1324yf). Just this year, I noticed the AC had the same symptoms and of course, I bring it back to the dealer again because no small shops has the tools for the new ac system. Again, I paid for the diagnostic and now was informed that the condenser is damaged along with the compressor. I was looking at $2411 for repairs.

Instead of having to pay the dealer, I purchased the given part numbers and will repair it myself, however, I still have to go back to the dealer to recharge the system. Because I have gone to the dealer 2 times to look at this problem and it seems everyone else with a 10th gen has this common problem, I put in a ticket/case #09617115 to American Honda Motor Co for a solution or some type of reimbursement since my warranty is no longer covered. This issue needs to be actively looked at by Honda because soon enough, all 10th gen owners may or will experience this problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, all - I have joined the club of 10th gen Civic owners with failed AC systems. $802 out of pocket and it's working again but I (we) should not have had this happen. I have a 2017 Civic LX, regular 2.0 engine. I'm in the Boston, MA area. During the past winter, I noticed the AC didn't clear moisture from the inside of the windshield as fast as I thought it should but didn't give it more thought as the heater did the job anyway. I wish I had given it more thought because my car only had 32,000 miles at that point. You know where this is going... A few weeks ago, when I started needing the AC to cool the car, I noticed it was blowing somewhat cool air but not very. This quickly got worse until it was blowing only warm air. I stopped in one Honda service dept and a friendly associate suggested I call Honda first as I now had 38,000 miles on the car. I called but Honda didn't offer much hope for help. Had it repaired at Honda Cars of Boston (located in Everett, just north of Boston), who replaced the condenser and recharged the system for a total of $802. It seems to be working fine. Called Honda again and they won't do a thing for me. They would not acknowledge any issues with condensers on 10th gen Civics, which we all know is baloney. Even a service tech at the dealer, when I asked him, said the issue, in his opinion, is not rock and pebble damage through the grille but the fact that these condensers are just fragile and fail too easily. So... if there's a class action suit against Honda, I'd love to join it and force them to pay for my repair and all our premature repairs. I've had 4 Hondas and 4 Toyotas in my life and don't remember replacing a condenser, certainly not so early in the life of a car. Via online searching, maybe in this forum, I saw that there is a law firm in Chicago, Cafferty Clobes, that seemed to be organizing a class action suit but the attorney, Dan Herrera, has not returned a message I left or replied to an email I sent. Anyone have knowledge about this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 Civic 46,000kms - Car for parents to use for shopping in the winter. No A/C to defrost the windscreen is concerning. Made appointment to see what's the issue, I suspect it is this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received this today from Honda Canada
This gave me hope.
I have a Civic hatchback 2017 and my car is out of warranty (75000km).
I'm pretty sure my condenser got perforated this winter but I just found out early may when it was warmer outside. When I called the dealerships to make an appointment for a check, they knew it was a problematic piece on my car and they checked if there was a warranty extension but there wasn't.
I called Honda Canada in hope to talk to somebody about extending my warranty but the guy I talked to would only read to me the current recall on the car. He said "I can only talk to you about what's on my computer screen". I asked if there's a way to negotiate with maybe somebody else. He put me on hold, came back and said not before I do a diagnostic. I have an appointment in 5 days so I'll update on how it goes.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts