10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks:),

I just joined the 10thCivic forum and have found a ton of useful information so far! Many thanks to all the excellent contributors here.

I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray on order with an expected delivery in a few weeks! These things are still really hard to get out here in Hawaii. I've still only seen one Hatch on the road. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be paying MSRP plus the $2,500 dealer markup, which seems to be standard for new models out here :cool: It is a price I'm willing to pay to have this amazing car that I have been anticipating since the Hatchbacks were first announced. I was originally waiting on the new Si, but I am disappointed they won't have a Hatch option so I decided on this car. However, since doing more research, I've heard of an issue that may change my mind on purchasing this car...

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the "grinding" sound that occurs immediately after a warm start on the 1.5L Turbo and CVT combination, which is what I plan on buying. Touring only comes with a CVT in the US...
It sounds like it could possibly be an issue with the High Pressure Fuel Pump or possibly the VTC Actuator. It also seems like this may be something occurring on most, if not all vehicles. Does anyone have a definitive cause for this "characteristic" of the engine?

At this point, this is my main concern that may lead me to DELAY my purchase. What do you think??? Should I still buy? Should I wait until the 2018's come out? Or is this issue really just a characteristic that is NORMAL and should be ignored. Are there any Hatch owner who DO NOT have this problem? Thanks for the help guys!

Aloha,

Bobby

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Welcome to the forum,Ive had zero issues in relation to a grinding noise with my 16 EXT Sedan.But aren't the Hatchbacks engines built in a different country than the EXT sedans?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Welcome to the forum Maui. The new Civics are great cars, and as they are a total redesign there are a few minor bugs, but nothing we have seen yet that is worth waiting another year. It sounds like you have been doing you homework and as such you will have read how much fun this car is and the great aftermarket support that's already available, it wont be hard or that expensive to bring that touring up to SI standards. I say go for it and keep in touch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum Maui. The new Civics are great cars, and as they are a total redesign there are a few minor bugs, but nothing we have seen yet that is worth waiting another year. It sounds like you have been doing you homework and as such you will have read how much fun this car is and the great aftermarket support that's already available, it wont be hard or that expensive to bring that touring up to SI standards. I say go for it and keep in touch.
Thanks for the encouragement! I am super excited about this car. Maybe I've done too much research because inevitably you will find problems like the one I mentioned above and maybe I shouldn't be so concerned...

And yes, I've read TONS of good things about this car, that's why I want one. Test drove a Sport Touring a few weeks ago before putting down a deposit on a new order and thought it drove great. Looks amazing too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts