10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! Before the flames come out, I did search and didn't see anything on this on the forum

Coming from an 07 VW GTI with the FSI direct injection engine, I've become very numbed to the efficiency of a DI engine simply because of the carbon buildup on the intake valves requiring so much attention. Granted, that was a 10 year old engine design.

I'm hoping that the more recent direct injection engines across the industry have gotten better about this. I know it's probably way too early to tell with these cars but does anyone know if Honda did anything to address carbon build up on these 1.5T engines?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gotcha. Unfortunately, catch cans only delayed the inevitable. IMO not worth the price, even at wholesale or crazy bulk discount. Many GTI owners diverted their PCV valve to the exhaust so that the engine never saw the blow-by which is of course a big EPA no-no. Even after that, regular carbon cleaning with seafoam or similar solvent was required.

A little bummed that this may still be a problem for this engine but it'll be alright. Still love the car.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
I have faith that Honda engineers addressed this problem prior to putting their DI engines into production.I also own a 16 Accord Sport that has the DI K24 so it'd be a double whammy if the engine started to suffer from carbon buildup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the possibility of buildup exists, these engines look way easier to work on.

The intake manifold is in the back and has a disconnect on the side rather than underneath. Not sure where the fuel injectors are though, probably close by.

My point is that if the manifold ever has to be pulled for cleaning, it doesn't look like a headache as much as it was for my GTI. That monster required an extended triple square bit, a bunch of blind screws, and often resulted in pulling injectors out with the manifold, each requiring a new sealing kit at $30 a pop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts