10th Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hollow Material Strength?

Original screw mounts the spacer to the floor while a new bolt and nut mounts the seat frame to the spacer.
Not sure what material is used for this design. Forces in a crash (100+ G) would likely cause this set-up to bend/collapse/break.
A threaded solid block, or half-block, even a cross-braced version of this in heavy-gauge steel or cast iron is needed.
The idea of the spacer is great but be sure it's safe for when you need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Original screw mounts the spacer to the floor while a new bolt and nut mounts the seat frame to the spacer.
Hi i am looking for the exact thing.. Can you let me know how to do this? I am very new to this kind of stuff.. Can you please let me know what parts i need and how to install? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Doesn't look like either companies are into producing things for Honda civics. You may need to get the Optima set and somehow macgyver them to fit into the Civic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure what material is used for this design. Forces in a crash (100+ G) would likely cause this set-up to bend/collapse/break.
A threaded solid block, or half-block, even a cross-braced version of this in heavy-gauge steel or cast iron is needed.
The idea of the spacer is great but be sure it's safe for when you need it.
The steel I used is stronger than the seat support plates. So.. before the spacer steel collapse ... I'm sure the original seat support plates will go first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made them. I used 1 inch steel block with slots on both sides (top & bottom).
Thanks for your response.. I am very poor at this diy stuff.. I have seen few seat riser kits in ebay which looks similar to your spacers but dont know if they work well..

·
Registered
876 Posts
Anyone undoing screws that have to do with the seat should make sure to put some loctite on those threads, it will ensure you have a steady seat for a very long time. Vibrations over time and your own movements can loosen up the threads.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Any of those would really work, it just an added precaution to keep em' down. Have definitely had experience where they loosened up just a little but that's where a bit of loctite and an impact gun come into place

·
Registered
876 Posts
It can be a vital thing since anything that moves like that or takes on tension tends to come lose over time. So that's something to factor in and not always will the manufacture do it. It's only to areas that once loose can become a real problem, and cost them money.. and maybe not you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else considered somehow sourcing a drivers seat from a right-hand drive Civic? Maybe from a salvage yard if someone already totalled one. This is all assuming the adjustment controls are on the right side of the seat rather than the left.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Raising the Pilot Seat

My wife had the same issue- felt like she was sitting in a tunnel. I used 40mm M8x1.0 rod couplers from Belmetric. Used threaded studs and raised the seat. Biggest problem- in the front mounting Honda riveted the front bracket on with the stud. Grind the rivet off, and use an 8-32 x2" bolt, with one nut on the seat and two across the bracket (each side). Use Locktite so it won't come apart. BTW- disconnect the battery and disconnect the seat connectors. Took about 1.5 hours, but most of that was fighting the two rivets. Total cost $32.00 Any questions send me a reply

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes the controls are on the right hand side of the drivers seat in the right hand drive cars and it does raise to a normal height. The height of the passenger seat in the right hand drive car is also ridiculously low. One inch spacers would be a minimum that it needs to be lifted. Everyone that sits in this seat immediately turns to me and says WTF? So it's not in their imagination.
I'll possibly end up doing the same thing, use spacers and rebolting but I'll be taking time to do it right.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts