10th Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Agreed, OTA updates seem very rare. I'm 110% OK with ones I can download to a stick and then put the stick in the car. I'm *not* OK playing the "know the magic phrase from the TSB" game for infotainment updates. Especially if they are going to roll the cars out of the factory this bug ridden.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I happened to be listening to Talking Cars from Consumers Reports today. #80 talks a lot about Infotainment Issues in recent cars- starts at 1:45 in and comes back again at 3:50 in.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuO3_lqJIMM

3 year development cycle.
Great to get the subject out there. Sad that I don't think it will improve things.

One comment: the car companies are fine at electronics. They aren't worth spit at higher level software. The biggest problem with the infotainment systems is not only the mismatched gears of the development cycles of mobile device tech vs. automobiles. It's also that they link these complex software developments to a start date for an auto production pipeline. If an Android device is a little late while the software gets polished a little more, nobody notices. If an auto production pipeline sits idle waiting to make the radios work that's a huge deal to lots of people worldwide. And they can't ship cars with holes in the dash. So they ship them with infotainment software that doesn't (yet?) work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a problem with a 2016 Touring, I think it is the same as what has been described but I have it even with no phone paired and not even a device listed in the Bluetooth Device list:

Roughly 40% of the time when I get in the car I get no sound whatsoever through the speakers. The unit boots up and looks like it is operating perfectly, but no audio from navigation, not even the click sounds. I can stop the car and open the door and try again and it will not work. Only by leaving the area (could the keyless system be involved?) will it ever reset and play. But, as I said, even that doesn't fix it about 40% of the time. The rest of the time it works perfectly. I took it to the dealer and they had it for two days and never had the problem. They created a case with Honda and I have that number but I am hoping for some hack that will allow me to enjoy the navigation sound and radio in the interim. Any ideas short of pull the connection to the battery?

·
Registered
331 Posts
The other c-i-v-i-c-x forum has lots of reports of this that all seem to be from Touring owners and reports of several of them getting Honda to suggest replacing the Touring-unique amplifier. One inference from this is that Honda is aware of a problem with at least some of the amplifiers. Not sure there have been any post-replacement reports yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am still having the exact issues that pro-bassoonist is having. Have spoken with the Honda care team. They are also looking into it. Car is at dealer for the third time with still no cure in sight either from the dealer or from the Honda Team. It's been 2 weeks now that I have brought this to the dealers attention (started the same night that I picked it up for delivery). This is getting really old. Paying nearly $30,000 for a Civic Touring them having all audio inoperative and the factory not knowing how to fix it...........com'n Honda!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is a greed driven and we don't give a crap attitude from Honda.

Honda is rolling out and fulfilling orders, despite the fact that they are fully aware of the entertainment systems lack of functionality.

No doubt, Honda is just pushing the units out, collecting the money, and then taking a we will fix this in time approach. The more units sold, the longer the line to get it fixed when a solution is developed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sadly, the intricacy of an auto production pipeline is so great that it's less bad to ship them with the issue while figuring it out than it is to stop the multi-supplier, worldwide, production pipeline. (Honda Indiana claims employment of over 2,300 people. And they just final assemble parts and assemblies from suppliers all over the world into some, but not all, Civics being sold in the US.) Not good for the customers, granted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spent some time in the diagnostic mode today

I am still having the exact issues that pro-bassoonist is having. Have spoken with the Honda care team. They are also looking into it. Car is at dealer for the third time with still no cure in sight either from the dealer or from the Honda Team. It's been 2 weeks now that I have brought this to the dealers attention (started the same night that I picked it up for delivery). This is getting really old. Paying nearly $30,000 for a Civic Touring them having all audio inoperative and the factory not knowing how to fix it...........com'n Honda!!!
I found the directions to get into the diagnostic mode in another forum and spent some time today looking at the error logs and the like. There seems to be no different log entries OR indications of the green OK blocks between when the audio works and when it doesn't work. I could find no way in there to force the unit with no sound to start making sounds. I am reading that removing the fuse and putting it back in (basically the same thing to the unit as pulling the battery terminal but far less intrusive to the other circuits in the car) will reset it so tomorrow I'm going to find that fuse (anyone know off the top of their head which one it is?) and if it is inside the car I'm going to put a fuse extender in there so I can just reach down and feel for it without having to climb into the floorboard to get it reset. I'll do this until they find the fix I guess. I love the car in every other way or I'd be banging on the dealership door tomorrow at 9AM demanding to return it (not that they'd likely do that).

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 7" unit is the same basic unit that is in the '16 Accord and '16 Pilot. Does anyone know if they've run into any community chatter that either of those vehicles are experiencing similar challenges or is it somehow unique to the Civic?

I browsed through d-r-i-v-e-a-c-c-o-r-d and did not see any obvious thread about the issue with Accords.

If you are experiencing ANY anomaly with the head unit / infotainment system in your Civic please take the time to call Honda directly - at the number posted previously in this thread. This is the only way they will give this the attention it deserves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I totally agree that this is stupid. BUT, if anyone was in any doubt, at least in my case pulling 18 and 19 does re-enable the sound in the car. Boot up has to happen, of course, and the backup markers and things like that are gone for a few minutes while that happens but it does work. I did try just pulling the audio fuse by itself and that does not fix it. The backup fuse seems to have to be pulled at the same time.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
For those that are having trouble, please specifiy the model of Civic you have too, there has been some speculation that the issue is primarily present in the Touring model. Some dealers have been swapping out the 450 watt amp to try and fix it, hence the issue being possibly unique to the Touring.

Just might help us get a handle on what's going on, or crush the possibility if lots of EX and EX-T owners have the issue also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same here

Touring here too. 2016 Civic Sedan

I am experiencing the same no volume problem. Here is the scenario: Not connected to CarPlay. I get in the car and the system boots up. Everything looks like I should hear something but nothing... No volume for stereo or the system phone. There's even no volume on my cell phone either. No matter what I do.... No volume. So, I drive around and exit the car to go into someplace. After being in the place for a short time(5 minutes), come back to my beautiful car;get in and low and behold.....perfect volume....just like nothing's ever been wrong. I don't believe this is a CarPlay issue , but a generalized entertainment computer issue.
It's very disappointing because I love the car but no stereo, etc is very disappointing. There must be a fix for it.
I believe this will soon be fixed! �� I really like this car.

·
Registered
331 Posts
They won't have a fix. And they are likely to tell you to go to the dealer. But the only way this stuff will get fixed is for Honda to feel the pain. And lots of it. Suggest you call Honda In-Car Technology Support at 888-528-7876.

·
Registered
74 Posts
They won't have a fix. And they are likely to tell you to go to the dealer. But the only way this stuff will get fixed is for Honda to feel the pain. And lots of it. Suggest you call Honda In-Car Technology Support at 888-528-7876.
I will call.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Well, this appears to be leaning towards a Touring problem after all. How interesting.

I sure hope they get whatever is causing this figured out, if it is unique to the touring then it will be a lot easier to track down. I'm sure there are other bugs to be found but the big on seems to be Touring related so far anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone, new here.
I looked around the site a bit and couldn't see an 'infotainment' thread so I started one up. Just read the first page on this 'Apple Car Play' thread, sorry. I am about to take delivery of a WOP Touring. Have read on other forums of this issue. It's like a nasty rash that seems to have plenty of bizarre owner stories.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts