10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, for some reason I'm so far having some trouble locating the right information for the audio/phone system in our new Civic EX. Today I loaded some MP3 files onto a USB flash drive and put it in the slot behind the console and while it recognized all the file names and it listed them all in order, each time I tried to select one it told me it was "Nonplayable format"
Can someone advise just what type of file formats this radio can recognize ? I'm a little surprised it wouldn't recognize MP3 as its a rather common format these days. I can convert them at home to just about any format if I knew which format it can read. I've seen nothing about all of this in the manual.
Thanks guys !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 4 Tires I'll have to keep messing with it.
I don't know if this thing is quirky or if it's just me

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's quirky alright. Such is the way with "state of the art" OEM infotainment systems. But an MP3 should play. See OM p. 273:
"Your audio system reads and plays sound files on a USB flash drive in either MP3,
WMA, or AAC*1 format."
Start simple: one MP3 file in the root of a newly FAT32 formatted device.

·
Registered
876 Posts
MP4 format might also work since it's one of the most popular formats around right now and might be what this system has been programmed to pick up on. And of course MP3 is another very common one. Even on computers this is a problem, no all programs will play all file formats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all, for some reason I'm so far having some trouble locating the right information for the audio/phone system in our new Civic EX. Today I loaded some MP3 files onto a USB flash drive and put it in the slot behind the console and while it recognized all the file names and it listed them all in order, each time I tried to select one it told me it was "Nonplayable format"
Can someone advise just what type of file formats this radio can recognize ? I'm a little surprised it wouldn't recognize MP3 as its a rather common format these days. I can convert them at home to just about any format if I knew which format it can read. I've seen nothing about all of this in the manual.
Thanks guys !
I believe it has to be an mp3 file type. I had the same issue and had to convert the unplayable files. Let me know if that works out. If not, I will ask my tech guy what he did to reformat the files that wouldn't play in my car.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You can even try contacting Honda, not the dealership, Honda's help line. Then of course there's the owners manual which I think sometimes outlines stuff like this. With how connected tech like this is these days I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to try a different flash drive but the one I have is formatted to FAT32 and all of the files are in MP3 format. I'm going to try just one or 2 files on a different drive. I'll be back :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I'm back..... Oh boy. I was afraid this thing was going to be quirky as all heck and now I fear I may be right. I got a different flash drive, made sure it was formatted correctly and only put 3 tracks of music on it. I kept trying both USB ports and kept getting "Device not responding" or "Unplayable file" or nothing at all. After about 3 cracks in each port I was about to call somebody I stuck it in under the dash one more time and dang if it didnt kick right up and start playing. Now, all along this test the little light on the flash drive would come on so it at least knew it was there.
I'm a little bit disappointed, music is a very big part of my driving enjoyment and I hope I dont have to fight this thing this bad. Does anybody know if there is a firmware update maybe I dont have ?
BTW all 3 files were MP3 format.
....And trying to text somebody with the voice command without 50 different choices from the contact list coming up.....thats another battle for another time :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And now I'm trying yet another flash drive and it didn't work under the dash but plugging it in in the center console and guess what ? Yeah now it started to play Ooooooook. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
All flash drives are not created equal. Some require special firmware installed for them to be used by a computer and this can cause issues with the audio system. Other flash drives don't need the extra firmware. Also, any firmware or programming installed in the root of the drive can play havoc with automobile audio systems. I had some issues with several drives in my 9th Gen. with Navi. I have settled on SanDisk Cruzer brand drives and have no problems with the nearly dozen of them we use. I have drives in several different capacities with no issues either. We have drives loaded by genre to keep search times low and minimize menu searching. I do a "hard" format of the new drives to ensure there is no firmware on them before moving files to the drive from my computer. I also run CCleaner on the new drives to wipe the drive fully before use.

Reactions: Black Jackyl

·
Registered
331 Posts
We have drives loaded by genre to keep search times low and minimize menu searching.
Not to mention the fact that the '16 Civic doesn't use/recognize and can't select by genre. Nor dies "Random In Folder" work very will if you've organized the drive with genre folders--since it randomly skips from playing on one folder to playing in the next.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It sucks that there isn't much of an area to place an aftermarket head unit, unless someone really wants to wedge it into the storage space under the OEM headunit.

Honda could of at least gave us a headunit with better basic functions.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you are talking EX and above, it appears there's a cavity (double-DIN sized?) behind the separate display where the head unit is installed. Now, how you deal with the separate display and all the functions embedded in the infotainment (e.g., climate controls) is another question. But there appears to be a place for a conventional head unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sandusky. Always use Sandisk when problems like this arise. I'm not going to go into the debate about x brand vs x brand reliability. I'm just trying to imply sandisk is the best when it comes to compatibilty.

And it would be nice of Honda to get out of the stone age and make more formats compatible, especially FLAC. some of us like our music lossless. And how about a dual layer Blu ray disk drive so we can burn music to an optical disk and have that option. Always like options.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The infotainment system just needs to be updated for compatibility but I don't think car manufaturers will add in a disk player once it's been taken out. Those things are going away like tape players.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And it would be nice of Honda to get out of the stone age and make more formats compatible, especially FLAC. some of us like our music lossless. .
Indeed..... I was rather shocked to experience the limitations I have so far in a state of the art vehicle.
We havent bought a new car in over 20 years so we still have a lot to learn and while we just love our new Civic, we are a bit underwhelmed with the music system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Indeed..... I was rather shocked to experience the limitations I have so far in a state of the art vehicle.
We havent bought a new car in over 20 years so we still have a lot to learn and while we just love our new Civic, we are a bit underwhelmed with the music system.
Underwhelmed in terms of audio quality? Or overall accessibility? I was having a hard time adjusting to both of those aspects when I first got my EX two months. Having come from a 2009 BMW 328i with an AUX port and BOSE speakers, I was initially disappointed to say the least.

Now however, two months later, I find myself enjoying leisure drives with music just like I used to. It took some time and research, but here are a couple things that helped.

- Accessibility: Bluetooth tends to get a bad reputation when it's the primary means of connectivity. Complaints range from sound quality to it being fickle on some people's devices.

SOLUTION: If possible, enable or use a device that supports LDAC encoding for audio. LDAC allows streaming of bitrates more than double that of MP3. This makes it so streaming FLAC audio files (lossless audio) is possible and doesn't lose sound quality through standard bluetooth compression.

- Sound Quality

SOLUTION: Before jumping immediately to a new speaker setup, try out different music player apps. Ones that have an Equalizer are excellent because they do all the EQ'ing before the music is sent and streamed through the headunit.

SOLUTION #2: If possible, try to keep your headunit EQ values as low as possible. I've found that in my experience at least, cranking up the mid and treble values created more distortion. By doing the EQ on your phone/ipod's EQ instead of the car's, you can reduce this distortion a great deal and get crisper audio.

As for the USB audio issues you described, I too went through the same frustrating process. However, I was too fed up to continue trying to get it to work. I'm definitely going to try out what you and others said though! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts