10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone from the south part of US with the 105 heat index, wherever you are, what oil tends to sop up the heat from the crankcase. From with your Civic experience or previous vehicle. I realize we need to stick to 0w-20.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump, someone has done an oil change here and lives in a hot or severe climate. share your experience with the oil change. what brand is good. I am sticking to honda oil for the time being and it said Full Syn on the dealer receipt when I did the 1st one. I feel full syn gives it a bit of lag but the benefit is more protection, your views? hurry up and press reply, don't be shy.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Amsoil SS, new formulation, best oil there is!
Agreed, but for the cost and the type of driving I do I've been using the Amsoil XL. Mine are mostly commuter highway miles in very warm to very cold temperatures, with little to no hard acceleration or aggressive driving.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed, but for the cost and the type of driving I do I've been using the Amsoil XL. Mine are mostly commuter highway miles in very warm to very cold temperatures, with little to no hard acceleration or aggressive driving.
The best oil is the one that correlates the best with the FF because you will have wear patterns that align and complement the original wear patters you had during the FF. By changing to a different formulations (think: base oil + additives), you end up with something different and something that doesn't work as well overall in the nomenclature of the FF. Ofcourse this is with the belief that you can extend the break-in for 10-20k miles which apparently the Amsoil crows would be vehemently against and steadfast at that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Right now, the hatch is on a steady diet of honda swill of the fun full synthetic kind, atleast per the dealer's receipt I got. I experienced no complicating incidents/problem with scratches or further issues or anything new arising from the oil change event.
Check this oil I am eyeing, out.
Anyone heard of or use or plan on using this oil?
Can we get this in US?
Shell Helix Ultra SN 0W-20 | Shell Australia
https://www.shell.com.au/motorists/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-sn-0w-20.html

·
Registered
228 Posts
Right now, the hatch is on a steady diet of honda swill of the fun full synthetic kind, atleast per the dealer's receipt I got. I experienced no complicating incidents/problem with scratches or further issues or anything new arising from the oil change event.
Check this oil I am eyeing, out.
Anyone heard of or use or plan on using this oil?
Can we get this in US?
Shell Helix Ultra SN 0W-20 | Shell Australia
https://www.shell.com.au/motorists/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-sn-0w-20.html
Here in the USA it's penzoil Ultra Platinum, search and you will find it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here in the USA it's penzoil Ultra Platinum, search and you will find it.
I do not see it at my local Wal Mart however it doesn't matter for now since I bought the free oil change package obligatory for ever Civic sale, or so it seems, earning me 3 free oil changes but notice it doesn't say spin balance included just filter and car washes which I steadfastly decline everytime.

Ever seen a one of these car wash contraptions, they look like they were hit by an earthquake..EARTH SHAKERRR!! Sure to strip you of your valuable wax applied from UK FACTory! This honda 0w-20 that every dealer switched to FULL in May of this year 2017 is perfect for the winter. You only get in trouble with the Honda swill and by swill I generalize semi synthetic unless your dealer serves FULL which from what I've been told, all dealers switched to full syn in May of 2017, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I do not see it at my local Wal Mart however it doesn't matter for now since I bought the free oil change package obligatory for ever Civic sale, or so it seems, earning me 3 free oil changes but notice it doesn't say spin balance included just filter and car washes which I steadfastly decline everytime.

Ever seen a one of these car wash contraptions, they look like they were hit by an earthquake..EARTH SHAKERRR!! Sure to strip you of your valuable wax applied from UK FACTory! This honda 0w-20 that every dealer switched to FULL in May of this year 2017 is perfect for the winter. You only get in trouble with the Honda swill and by swill I generalize semi synthetic unless your dealer serves FULL which from what I've been told, all dealers switched to full syn in May of 2017, correct me if I'm wrong.
Walmart doesn't carry the ULTRA anymore just the regular Platinum

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Walmart doesn't carry the ULTRA anymore just the regular Platinum
Cool, yeah, I think I am going to ride out this OEM Honda oil, the receipt stated FULL SYN and I called and it was confirmed but you know how dealership information is, sketchy at best. Either way, I wanted to extend the break-in so both would suffice, especially now with my and our mild winter temps that we have in store for several motnhs (oh boy, a welcome break from the 105+ HI for 8 str8 months!) This oil will handle, it will be a piece of cake. I believe it carries the Honda HTO-06 turbo or better cert, correct me if my facts are askew.

edit: the honda swill has more boron and less moly cause these wiz kids (honda and the oil formulators) think moly is too abrasive and less of moly is good. course it has more moly than the average 3rd party oils out there like mobil 1 and PP and that is not besides the point!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts