10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been quite a bit of discussion on how our civic's like to get up and go, plainly I will entertain some of you.

Basically, The car is programmed very roughly in the acceleration department, almost laughingly so.

This is how it works.

Pedal is not depressed = You get 1%
Pedal is depressed 1-10% = You get 10%
Pedal is depressed 10-25% = You get 20%
Pedal is depressed 25-45% = You get 40%
Pedal is depressed 45-65% = You get 50%
Pedal is depressed 65-85% = You get 80%
Pedal is depressed 85-100% = You get 100%

This seems to be about right, I might be giving it too many variables here, In real world driving I only notice the 4, Idle, 20%, 50% and 100%

This would make sense of how I've also realized how the car behaves while cruise control is not activated, I can tell that if you are going 65 mph, and just hold the medal near that "spot" you can then individually feel the rough points in either slow down or go, It takes a mighty hill to budge the motor vs. hill or wind.

Another thing to enlighten you would be a layman take of this phenomenon;

The pedal likes to accelerate from a stop, but once at speed it prefers 35%~ to stay at just that speed

So that's that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dick,I think it just means it's not very smooth or linear in it's control of the transmission.
If that were true, then engine RPM would change in step functions as speed varies. Except at WOT--"G-shift Logic"--I don't see that. "G-Shift Logic" is explicitly trying to pretend it's shifting between fixed ratios for driver perception reasons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah,I'm not educated about them but was offering more of an observation. I just traded-in my '14 LX CVT for a '16 6-spd LX. I remember the stepping but don't recall how it related to RPM changes. I seem to remember that at the max step,WOT,revs held while speed continued increasing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I seem to remember that at the max step,WOT,revs held while speed continued increasing.
Not sure exactly haw the 9th gen CVTs operated but this seems reasonable. Generally, some people didn't like how earlier CVTs accelerated because they expected a more traditional feel of revs increasing and gear ratio shifts--step changes in RPM--along the way.

Here's how Honda describes the CVT behavior for the '16 Civic, I added the bold:

The Civic CVTs have a new generation of special G-design shift logic that is designed to offer more immediate acceleration response than either conventional automatics or other CVT designs. When abruptly applying power from a steady-state cruising speed, both Civic CVTs immediately send power to the drive wheels while simultaneously adjusting the gear ratio (seamlessly and progressively downshifting) to smoothly bring the engine to its horsepower peak in a linear way.

During full throttle acceleration, the new generation of G-Design shift logic employs stepped ratios as the vehicle speed increases. This helps give the transmission a more "connected" feel as the engine rpm and vehicle speed increase together. This stepped operation also improves acceleration performance incrementally.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh well,I'm enjoying the new LX 6-spd quite a lot more than my traded-in 2014 LX CVT. I've seen many videos on new Civics,almost all 1.5 CVTs,but I wanted a manual this time and the associated lower price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts