10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Civic Sport Touring Hatchback I bought in March of 2018 (about 2 years & 8 months ago). I just turned over 13,000 miles on it. I had the first oil change at 3,000 & the second at 8,000 (5,000 later) when the reminder light came on. Some family members with other brand vehicles do theirs at 7,000. The reminder light came on again at 13,000 after another 5,000. The code I got was A7. "A" is for oil change, & I found the "7" was for brake fluid change. Brake fluid? No leaks or low fluid I am aware of. I have never had a vehicle that needed a brake fluid change, much less at the low mileage of 13,000. To be sure I didn't void my extended warranty, I had it done (at the Honda dealer where I bought it) at a cost of around $150 which seemed a bit high, but had nothing to compare to it, since I had never had or needed a change done before. I do nearly all local short trip driving. Does this put extra wear on the fluid? Was this change really necessary, & was that a normal cost to do it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me! Around 13k miles, 2018 sport touring hatchback and A7 light came on. Also ended up spending $150 at the dealer for brake fluid change. Everybody told me I was nuts- no way you need new brake fluid at that low mileage, but I did it as I also had nothing to compare it to. Something seems off...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exact same thing happened to me! Around 13k miles, 2018 sport touring hatchback and A7 light came on. Also ended up spending $150 at the dealer for brake fluid change. Everybody told me I was nuts- no way you need new brake fluid at that low mileage, but I did it as I also had nothing to compare it to. Something seems off...
Thanks for your reply. It just doesn't seem right, as in my 75 years, with many types of driving & warm & cold climates, I have owned many different kinds of vehicles with drum brakes & disc alike, or a combo of both, & never once had to change brake fluid or had a need to. I would think that now with the synthetic stuff, it should last nearly forever, unless you need to add because of a leak. I am unable to change it myself at a far lower cost, & thought $150 was very much on the high side, even at present dealer mechanic pay rates. Can someone explain why they now want a brake fluid change at any mileage, much less at such a low mileage?

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my experience, it is best to flush the brake fluid every 2 years, as it tends to collect moisture over time. This will prolong the life of the master and wheel cylinders. Mileage has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the A17 MM last week.. Checked the Brake Fluid- Very dark. Dealer charged $150 for flush the brake fluid.
I did the oil and tire rotation myself. Just over 30,000 miles on a 2018 Civic....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts