10th Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Question about speed sensitive volume,I had a rental (Hyundai Tuscon) and this feature was very obvious when functioning. It is turned on on my civic but I do not believe that it's working, does the volume number setting change as the volume goes up and down with speed?
The volume # wont change, the radio compensates for cabin /road noise and enhances the volume to a comfortable listening level for the volume you had it set at when idling. When you slow down the music will soften as well. If you set it on the highest setting you will definitely notice the change

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Anyone willing to go the extra mile when it comes to cabin quietness should look into dynamating their interior. Takes a bit of work and patience but well worth it in the end if doing it on your own, not exactly cheap if paying a shop.

·
Registered
382 Posts
for those of us not familiar with the product, what is dynamat?
it's a foil back insulation/sound deadener used initially with high end audio systems to help minimize sound reverberations in cars. it now has become synonymous with customizing cars...nearly all highly customized cars now have it as standard.

it quiets the car, it makes car sound more like a thud when closing doors instead of a 'ping'. also helps with heat dissipation

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...o=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4jqh74xfwi_b_p14

dyanmats own interpretation: Dynamat Xtreme is the highest efficiency sound damping material available and the most effective product for stopping noise and vibration in your automobile. With Dynamat Xtreme installed, road noise becomes silent energy. The effect this has on your sound system is phenomenal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I fixed my own floppy rear stop light cover, since Honda doesn't have a fix for it. It would flop around when driving, but the worst part was it would allow red light to cover the rear windshield when backing up and interfered with outward viewing.

I pulled off the two Velcro tabs and stuck them to the window with Permatex Ultragrey sealant (similar to Hondabond). I let it sit over night to cure and then pushed the brake light cover upwards and it has held up nicely thus far. No need for me to go back to Honda now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for the definitive answer Dallas, based on this It is not working !
How can you tell? (I'm thinking that "calibrated ear" is not a very reliable measurement instrument.) Have you played with the settings for the amount of the SVC effect?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I fixed my own floppy rear stop light cover, since Honda doesn't have a fix for it. It would flop around when driving, but the worst part was it would allow red light to cover the rear windshield when backing up and interfered with outward viewing.

I pulled off the two Velcro tabs and stuck them to the window with Permatex Ultragrey sealant (similar to Hondabond). I let it sit over night to cure and then pushed the brake light cover upwards and it has held up nicely thus far. No need for me to go back to Honda now.
Nice fix, that should go in a DIY section (sort of) for those that want to deal with this themselves since often dealers aren't that helpful.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
On the bright side we don't have it that bad, some owners of new cars go through issues so bad they can't even drive the vehicle or it just ends up being a big inconvenience. As Honda owners we have it really good.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Lol the 3rd brake light issue is beyond a common issue at this point, it's like a feature that come with the car.
When i got my EXT coupe a few weeks ago i mentioned it to my dealer, and he said he hadn't heard of any cases of it happening with any of the cars they've sold. I went back in two days later to have my spoiler installed and he told me that the day after i was there he had a woman come in with her's falling off, and then he immediately noticed one of their showroom cars with the same issue. So at this point i'm just waiting for mine to fall off. Hoping the cooler weather will prevent that until it gets hot again, as it seems to be a bigger issue in high heat weather.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice fix, that should go in a DIY section (sort of) for those that want to deal with this themselves since often dealers aren't that helpful.
Here are my specifics on the repair. Honestly I don't feel like leaving my car at the dealer all day for a 2 minute repair job so even if they come out with a fix I don't want to waste my time. I first attempted to use double sided clear tape, but the attachment point is a very slippery surface so for some odd reason even the stickiest form of tape does not adhere.

The third brake light cover is meant to stick to the glass through use of Velcro clips. The clip with the cloth material is attached to the brake light cover, and the clip with the vinyl loops is supposed to stick to the glass, and they hold together when the to parts meet. The issue is that the clip with the loops does not stick to the glass so it remains attached to the cloth clip that is attached to the brake light cover.

I put a small bit of permatex ultragrey sealant onto the backside of the looped Velcro clip, and then I pushed up the third brake light cover and that provides and indication of the attachment point. I just used a very light amount as this is just to indicate the contact point on the glass surface and I would be applying more sealant in the next step that actually attaches the clip to the glass.

I then removed the light cover which is held in place with two Honda clips on the edge that faces the front of the vehicle, just give it a bit of a pry on both sides to release the clips and the cover will drop down. I then removed the looped Velcro clip which was used as a marker. I put more permatex ultragrey sealant onto the clip and firmly attached it to the glass on the indicator marks that were left on the glass in the first step noted above, such that a bit of sealant oozed out around the clip. I let the clips cure in place on the glass overnight for about 24 hours.

The next day I reattached the third brake light cover by popping in the two Honda clips along the front edge, then pushing up the light cover on the back edge to allow the two parts of the Velcro clips to engage and that supports the cover in place. That was it. So far so good, it's been through some heat and some cold temps and no issues yet. Permatex ultragrey sealant can be found at most auto parts stores, and is similar to Honda bond, it has lots of uses on car parts and holds pretty firmly, and can be easily removed and cleaned up if needed in the future.

Reactions: 5TAR

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thanks for posting up a guide on fixing Honda's new "feature". They should just use Permatex ultragrey sealant at the factory when they're producing the Civics so we won't have this problem.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Here are my specifics on the repair. Honestly I don't feel like leaving my car at the dealer all day for a 2 minute repair job so even if they come out with a fix I don't want to waste my time. I first attempted to use double sided clear tape, but the attachment point is a very slippery surface so for some odd reason even the stickiest form of tape does not adhere.

The third brake light cover is meant to stick to the glass through use of Velcro clips. The clip with the cloth material is attached to the brake light cover, and the clip with the vinyl loops is supposed to stick to the glass, and they hold together when the to parts meet. The issue is that the clip with the loops does not stick to the glass so it remains attached to the cloth clip that is attached to the brake light cover.

I put a small bit of permatex ultragrey sealant onto the backside of the looped Velcro clip, and then I pushed up the third brake light cover and that provides and indication of the attachment point. I just used a very light amount as this is just to indicate the contact point on the glass surface and I would be applying more sealant in the next step that actually attaches the clip to the glass.

I then removed the light cover which is held in place with two Honda clips on the edge that faces the front of the vehicle, just give it a bit of a pry on both sides to release the clips and the cover will drop down. I then removed the looped Velcro clip which was used as a marker. I put more permatex ultragrey sealant onto the clip and firmly attached it to the glass on the indicator marks that were left on the glass in the first step noted above, such that a bit of sealant oozed out around the clip. I let the clips cure in place on the glass overnight for about 24 hours.

The next day I reattached the third brake light cover by popping in the two Honda clips along the front edge, then pushing up the light cover on the back edge to allow the two parts of the Velcro clips to engage and that supports the cover in place. That was it. So far so good, it's been through some heat and some cold temps and no issues yet. Permatex ultragrey sealant can be found at most auto parts stores, and is similar to Honda bond, it has lots of uses on car parts and holds pretty firmly, and can be easily removed and cleaned up if needed in the future.
Great DIY. One important thing to note for those that haven't already done jobs like this in the past, you need to be very careful with those clips since its easy to break them. Be mindful of things like that and for the most part you will be okay. Just need to have patience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got my appointment set for 7:30 am tomorrow. Cant wait for them to tell me my HIDs are the reason my seat creaks and the doors and fender are misaligned:laugh:;)>:)
Sounds like most manufacturers. This time I doubt it though, Honda has a lot of PR work to do. Especially since they dropped off the charts for new build quality with CR magazine. They don't need more bad press!

I detail a lot of vehicles and have owned 4 Civics and an Acura and I'll tell you there is far worse out there . None of mine have had anything mych foe issues outside of a gps glitch. The only ones I have owned with better fit and finish were the Audi/VW family.
My first year 2004 TL was pretty magnificent. It was a great effort by the manufacturer and integrators of the assembly line equipment to make sure they weren't building crap. My 2012 Golf is really nice too.

Someone at the production plant was sleeping on the job. Maybe it was still within tolerances specified by the automaker and that's how it passed inspection, but your dealership should be able to fix it. NO idea what the process would be or how they will pull it back into position.
More like S1/S2 build (first generation stampings before they were perfected for fit up. Ok perfected is a stretch, but this is disappointing.

I was waxing my car I have an EXT coupe and as I was rubbing the rear right quarter panel (mind u I wasn't rubbing hard) pop off the bumper. I notice before that happened the bumper would creak when cleaning. The built quality of this car is cheap...This is my first Honda and probably my last. I had it since May and only Have 345 miles on it and it had 3 visit to Honda for recalls. Tomorrow I have to take it in for radio and third brake light cover is hanging off. I haven't drove it enough to hear seat rattle yet....Hopefully that doesn't happen.... I am stuck with this car for 7 years!
WTF?! Now I'm second guessing. These are mostly teething pains and the 17/18 models will likely be great. The 16s probably got released a bit early. :eek:

41 - 58 of 58 Posts