10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 10 year/100,000 mile service plan when I bought my 2016 Civic new three years ago. Today I had my oil and filter changed, but the tech came out and said that Honda recommends changing your brake fluid every three years, regardless of mileage, and they wanted $130 to do it. Can I go somewhere else to get it changed? Or will that void my warranty?

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's rare when a warranty - original or extended - mandates where the car can be serviced. It's probably best that you consult the terms of the warranty, but for the most part you should be able to have the service performed at the facility of your choice. However, since you may have future concerns about warranty and whether the recommended services are performed, I recommend that you get the best possible documentation of the event that you can.

And, for what it's worth, the service is quite easy to perform yourself, providing that you have adequate facilities, tools, and knowledge. An evacuator can be had from a variety of sellers (including Amazon) for well under $50, the brake fluid costs $15 (I use synthetic DOT4 and I buy a quart bottle and a pint bottle), and it can be done in under an hour.

Finally, in case there was concern that this is a "scam" or a B.S. unnecessary service: I flush mine in both of my cars every two years, regardless of mileage. It is one of the most often overlooked maintenance services and I recommend that everyone has it done at a regular interval.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts