10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, looking at the current conversion rates, the canadian LX is 11977.98 in USD. Wonder why there is so much difference? I am only a couple hours from the border, but I am sure there is enough red tape to make it not possible, or at the least not worthwhile to import.

With these cars made in both US and Canada, what is the reasoning for about a 40% markup in the US?

****, I might consider buying two at that price. I'd be at the dealership today. A US LX would cost 24883.47 after the conversion, for argument sake.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's about the same price in Canada because we don't get paid in US dollars and no one would pay 35k CDN for a Touring civic. A straight conversion from US to CDN would not work in this case.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Top of the line Civic Touring model goes for $26,990 in Canada. Touring model in the US costs $26,500. Crazy how despite out lower valued dollar we only have to pay $490 more than te Americans do for the Touring model.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's certainly not a direct compare, trims are also equipped differently (except Touring)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought my 2016 Touring at close to full list. This would be about US$19,500 at todays exchange rate.

Seven years ago the exchange rate was not in our favour. My 2009 Pilot Touring listed here at about $50,000 vs $44,000 in the U.S.A. Our dollars were equal then. It's all timing.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
We have a lower trim model in Canada (DX, a model below the LX) that starts at 15,990$ (that's under 12,000 USD)
Looks like Honda should have done that to be more competitive on price in the US, something that will take people away from smaller cars since they might see more value in a DX Civic. Beats rolling around in a Yaris.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Canadian dollar is also plummeting so that may cause the price of the Civic in Canada to rise -- unfortunately for me...

·
Registered
959 Posts
The Canadian dollar is also plummeting so that may cause the price of the Civic in Canada to rise -- unfortunately for me...
market adjustment won't happen until MY2017 changeover. So long as you get into one before July 2016 you should be ok ;)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Good point, that's a good timeframe to work with and with the market without much attractive competition (at least how I see it), we should be seeing a growing amount of people taking action quicker on the Civic than they normally would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also in Canada Honda has taken a buy it or leave it attitude. There's no negotiation. There's this is the sticker price, if u don't pay this the next person will.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Also in Canada Honda has taken a buy it or leave it attitude. There's no negotiation. There's this is the sticker price, if u don't pay this the next person will.
As much as it sucks for consumers like us it is to be expected as with any high volume product that doesn't have anything special going on for it. But at least with price we will likely see it depreciate the least among other compacts and previous generations of the Civic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts