10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Civic
We have had our new 2016 Civic for 3 months.
Last night i saw one dent over the driver window, and one dent over the driver rear window.:surprise:
I have 2 thoughts how they got there.
Maybe the car wash.
Maybe someone tried to get into the car.

Has any body received dents above the drivers window from a drive through car wash ?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
2016 Civic
Last night i saw one dent over the driver window, and one dent over the driver rear window.:surprise:
Maybe the car wash.

Has any body received dents above the drivers window from a drive through car wash ?
Ive never had full on dents, but, i had my car in the shop twice (once for oil change once for CVT recall on 9th gens) and both times they ran it through their on site car wash (they used to do it by hand) and both times big black scuff marks have appeared. The first one was above the driver side foglight area and the second time was on a side view mirror. (I have a taffeta white coupe). Sadly, i didn't notice these until days after the car washes and seriously doubt i could take it to honda and blame them for it (and have them believe me anyway).

Lesson of the story, its always better to do a hand wash. If you can't manage that, then a touchless carwash is usually pretty safe. The washes with the big rollers get tar, rocks and other debris stuck to the foam rollers and those are what cause scratches, bumps, dents etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FYI most Japanese Manufactures have been decreasing their metal body panel thickness to ridiculous levels to make their cars lighter in order to maximize fuel efficiency. You CANNOT even LEAN on any fender or door on a late model Japanese car like you used to do on a 80's Oldsmobile without visiting the body shop. My friend leaned on his front fender of his Corolla and dented it at a cost of $300 (decided to cheese it up rather than a $700 replacement job). If you think I'm kidding or exaggerating then try it at your expense. A typical Honda Civic front fender will weigh a pathetic 7 or 8 pounds with a metal thickness of about 0.5-0.6mm. You must be extra careful when waxing your car in the middle of the hood or roof as not cave it enough to cause a permanent crease. Insurance companies are well aware of this as damage from hail on insurance claims have gone up dramatically since the 80's. The insurance company hates it (hail) while the manufactures love it (body panel replacement revenue). Well now you know.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do you ever leave your windows open just a tiny bit when parked or no? If not I would suspect that you got the dents by either a carwash or someone accidentally leaning on it or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guy's, Thank you for your input. I'm meeting with a manager of the car wash to learn the process and see if any rollers touch the car in that area.
The only time it was out of sight was at the dealer getting the display replace under warranty, and change the oil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you ever leave your windows open just a tiny bit when parked or no? If not I would suspect that you got the dents by either a carwash or someone accidentally leaning on it or something.
The windows are always closed.
Did you know, on your keys if you press unlock once then hold the unlock down, all the windows will open.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I washed my car at a car wash that used rotating brushes to clean the sides of the car. The water pressure was high enough that it pop opened the fuel door unfortunately. Luckily, I saw the door was wide open as I was driving out. Geesh, that was embarrassing. Oh, there were no dents on the doors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2016 Civic and sheet metal dents

My 2016 Civic EX-L has dents on the rear pillars on BOTH SIDES! It has to be from waxing the vehicle or going through the car wash. I noticed the other day going through a car wash that the air the blowers put out to dry the car actually was causing the sheet metal to wobble and vibrate. I was shocked at how flimsy the metalwork is. I'm not sure there is anything Honda can do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been happening to several new Civic owners including me. I just picked mine up last Saturday (16 April) and Monday after getting home from work, I stepped out into the bright sun and saw three shallow indentations just above the small window behind the rear driver's side door. Looks like someone tried to rock the car with their palms planted on the pillar there leaving the slight indentations / rippling. I have not washed the car and had no idea how this could have happened until I stumbled on a this thread from another 10th Gen forum:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/dent-above-passenger-doors-accident-or-body-issue.3002/

Seems there is a body issue of some sort causing this to happen. One of the poster's there discovered that two different strength steels join in that area of the rear pillars and may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I don't think a car wash would be able to dent a car, scratches yes but not enough to make dents. Maybe someone at the factory or some random person put pressure on the area and created those dents. Maybe it's a defective batch with these dents.

Just stinks that body material quality has gone down so much where even leaning on the car can dent it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It's going to be hard to get the dealer to help resolve the issue since its small in comparison to other issues that impact driving and so on. hopefully Honda does take action in good timing as it seems to be something wide spread.

Yet another reason why I don't like buying new cars right away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I second this. I wash my Civic for the first time this weekend and was horrified how thin the hood was. The lightest pressure would flex it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
2016 Civic
Maybe the car wash.

I have a carwash pass, for 19.99 a month I can wash the car every day if I want to, that being said I wash it on average 2 to 5 times a week, no dents no scratches no damage to my car what so ever.
I wonder if someone punched the car with their hand or something? Sounds a little weird for carwash damage but I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Up date

Guy’s I’m so sorry it has taken me this long for an update.
Mr mycivicisalemon, is right on the money ( hit the nail on the head) spot on. THANK YOU

The area just above the rear windows are so thin that small pressure can leave a dent.
I have been to many Honda dealers looking at NEW CIVIC. I have seen the same dents in the same area.
Just at one dealer 3 out of 15 Civic's had dents in the same area.

Just one guess, A passenger in the back seat is getting out of the car and puts his hand on the top of the car to help them out of the car. 2nd guess pressure from waxing your car.

Now let me talk about the hood.
My wife had a deer run into her car a few weeks ago. OUCH.
Her Civic had a new (NEW ) hood along with other new body parts.
We were told not to use a car wash for a few weeks because of the new paint.
After 4 weeks we took it to the car wash for the first time.
Before interning the car wash I inspected the car from top to bottom for any marks.
Then after the car wash I inspected it again. I was surprised to see 2 new indents on the hood up by the window. You can push on this area and it is soft.
It’s Ridiculous to have the mettle this thin.

I called Honda and filled a complaint.

Pictures where to look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The windows are always closed.
Did you know, on your keys if you press unlock once then hold the unlock down, all the windows will open.

OMG! That is so helpful! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts