10th Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ive never had full on dents, but, i had my car in the shop twice (once for oil change once for CVT recall on 9th gens) and both times they ran it through their on site car wash (they used to do it by hand) and both times big black scuff marks have appeared. The first one was above the driver side foglight area and the second time was on a side view mirror. (I have a taffeta white coupe). Sadly, i didn't notice these until days after the car washes and seriously doubt i could take it to honda and blame them for it (and have them believe me anyway).

Lesson of the story, its always better to do a hand wash. If you can't manage that, then a touchless carwash is usually pretty safe. The washes with the big rollers get tar, rocks and other debris stuck to the foam rollers and those are what cause scratches, bumps, dents etc.
Sorry, that has happen. I started taking pictures before and after.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
FYI most Japanese Manufactures have been decreasing their metal body panel thickness to ridiculous levels to make their cars lighter in order to maximize fuel efficiency. You CANNOT even LEAN on any fender or door on a late model Japanese car like you used to do on a 80's Oldsmobile without visiting the body shop. My friend leaned on his front fender of his Corolla and dented it at a cost of $300 (decided to cheese it up rather than a $700 replacement job). If you think I'm kidding or exaggerating then try it at your expense. A typical Honda Civic front fender will weigh a pathetic 7 or 8 pounds with a metal thickness of about 0.5-0.6mm. You must be extra careful when waxing your car in the middle of the hood or roof as not cave it enough to cause a permanent crease. Insurance companies are well aware of this as damage from hail on insurance claims have gone up dramatically since the 80's. The insurance company hates it (hail) while the manufactures love it (body panel replacement revenue). Well now you know.
You are right on, Turns out the body parts are way to thin.
With that said WHO should Honda stand behind the product and fix it.

I was told that the car wash was making the dents, I took the car manager out on his lot and showed him that some of his NEW cars have the same dents. then he just said I'll report it to Honda.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dents C pillar

My 2016 Civic EX-L has dents on the rear pillars on BOTH SIDES! It has to be from waxing the vehicle or going through the car wash. I noticed the other day going through a car wash that the air the blowers put out to dry the car actually was causing the sheet metal to wobble and vibrate. I was shocked at how flimsy the metalwork is. I'm not sure there is anything Honda can do.
I am seeing new cars on the lot with dents. Honda should fix them

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Josh

The air blowers in a car wash would not dent your car.
Josh, I can't say all car wash's will dent a Honda Civic . I will say this car wash did. I checked the car before and after.

Honda is stating the car wash is causing the dents. BUT,, when the body parts are so thin that can't hold up to a car wash who's issue is it ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dents C pillar

Has anyone talked to their dealership about the flimsy panels and if dents to them are covered by warranty?
Yes, I am !

Last week 5/11/2017

Honda was writing up a finding, why my car keeps getting dents. They said the car wash. Then I took the manager out on his new car lot and pointed at a new 2017 Civic and said, has that car been to the car wash? He said NO it's a new car.

Then I said why is the rear C Pillar dented? The Manger was nice, he took pictures and said that he will report it to Honda.
I started laughing and said, I'm SURE Honda all ready knows the issue. They just don't want us to know.

Look the issue is this, the area by the rear C pillars are so thin that just about anything will dent it.
:surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just FYI most of the time the paint-less Dent Remover system will work to remove the dents.

But my dents returned with in the year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes i had same problem its not that someone trying to steal your car its from when u wash your car my advise to you is not to call Honda cause they gonna try to blame you for and will say to wash it by hand went to my dealer and told me that its a defect from the factory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I only have my new Civic 2 weeks and I already noticed a dent in the C-pillar. I'm taking it to a paintless dent repair shop next week for them to take a look. Hopefully they can smooth it out. I looked the car over really well before signing the paperwork, but I missed this dent (didn't expect such a thing in a new car). I do know that my previous car was a 2015 Honda Fit and when waxing the roof, I had to be EXTREMELY careful not to lean against the roof pillars because they dented very, very easily (I learned that the hard way by putting 5 dents in the pillar just by leaning my arm on them).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts