10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

An agonizing two months after we saw the coupe, Honda finally showed us the next body style in the 10th Gen Civic Launch.

• The 10th Civic Coupe is lighter and stiffer than the sedan.
  • The suspension is tuned to be sportier, read stiffer
  • Expected onsite date is March 2016
  • 2.0 and 1.5t powertrains are the same as the ones found in the sedan.
  • 6MT 1.5T version will come later.
  • Interior roofliner is only available in black
  • Trim levels range from LX on up to Touring, just like the sedan. Equipment will differ slightly
  • Vehicle shown was accessorized with available wheels and wing

Up front it's more of the same, but from the A-pillar and back Honda has something hot on their hands. The roof heads back to the deck just above your head, sloping in a sexy tear drop shape that tapers inwards subtly, giving the fenders their haunches.

Honda chopped 5.5 inches off the Sedans rear overhang while stretching the wheelbase some 2.9 inches. Completing the sporting transformation, the Civic Coupe is nearly 2 inches wider then the Sedan and sits 1 inch closer to the road.

The Coupe Honda brought to the reveal is an EX-L trim, which was slightly disappointing. We would of loved to see the Coupe with the new gorgeous Jewel Eyed Civic headlamps.

In terms of interior space, up front keeps all the virtues of the Sedan, while in back Honda has increased rear leg room some 5 inches. Overall interior space has jumped 8.4 cubic feet.

Engine choices are identical to the Sedan; the 2.0 is available with a 6MT or CVT while the 1.5T will be available with a CVT, until Honda makes the 6MT available with the turbo.

EPA mileage is expected to be similar to the Sedan, CVT's should come in at 31/41 mpg for the 2.0-liter and 31/42 for the turbo (city/highway).

Prices remain hushed for now, but we do know it will be in showrooms by March 2016!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That spoiler looks great, glad they didn't overkill the rear by adding lighting in the spoiler, instead just leaving it plain.

Wheels look great too although they wouldn't be what i will want to pay more for, rather put that money towards a set of aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Is it 2 inches wider than the sedan or 2 inches wider than the 9th gen model?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Is it 2 inches wider than the sedan or 2 inches wider than the 9th gen model?
Honda doesn't do a very good job of clean copywriting...

The 2016 Civic Coupe carries forward the sporty and premium character of the 10th-generation Civic design, including the bold front fascia, fast-back profile and sharp-edged detailing, as well as its more athletic wheels out proportions – its longer wheelbase (+2.9 inches), wider body (+1.9 inches), shortened front overhang (-1.4 inches) and wider stance. The new Coupe also benefits from the lower seating position, or hip point, of the new Civic platform, which amplifies the Coupe’s low, wide and planted dynamic driving character.
but it does sound like they're talking about the coupe in relation to the sedan...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It would be kind of surprising to me if the coupe was that much wider than the sedan as they share the exact same front end between the coupe and sedan. I think its a copywriting error (the 9th gens were exactly the same width) so i assume the 10th gens are the same width as one another because that would mean the whole front end would need tweaked from the sedan.

Good news is, being 5.5 inches shorter than the sedan it's actually like .5 inches (give or take) shorter than the 9th gen coupe, so it's lower, wider and shorter than the 9th gen coupe was. Those are good proportions and should translate well into the handling and performance of the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Expected onsite date is March 2016?

Where does that leave the Si in any configuration, July-August? It'll be a 2017 model by then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The interior is beautiful, but I gotta say I'm otherwise a little underwhelmed. Anyone else agree/disagree? I suppose I was expecting them to be a bit bolder with the design. Maybe the concept got me a little too excited.

Also, 6MT 1.5L Turbo is dropping... later? As in after it hits showrooms in March? When do you guys suppose that will be?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The interior is beautiful, but I gotta say I'm otherwise a little underwhelmed. Anyone else agree/disagree? I suppose I was expecting them to be a bit bolder with the design. Maybe the concept got me a little too excited.

Also, 6MT 1.5L Turbo is dropping... later? As in after it hits showrooms in March? When do you guys suppose that will be?
Honda has said the 6MT for the turbo will be introduced on the 2017MY civic, not the 2016 models.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
wow, still a long wait
so when the hatch comes
the manual will be introduced on the other models as well?
That's what is to be understood yes. Honda states 2017MY for the manual turbo models, so around the time the hatch meets our shores most likely.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's what is to be understood yes. Honda states 2017MY for the manual turbo models, so around the time the hatch meets our shores most likely.
Do you think it is a smart idea to release both the coupe and the hatch at the same time? And do you think it will be at exactly the same time?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do you think it is a smart idea to release both the coupe and the hatch at the same time? And do you think it will be at exactly the same time?
Huh? when did i say that? The coupe will be out first quarter of 2016 as a 2016 model. The hatch will come later, probably around early fall when the 2017 models hit.

I was saying the manual transmission option will hit the same time the hatch hits.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It would be kind of surprising to me if the coupe was that much wider than the sedan as they share the exact same front end between the coupe and sedan. I think its a copywriting error (the 9th gens were exactly the same width) so i assume the 10th gens are the same width as one another because that would mean the whole front end would need tweaked from the sedan.

Good news is, being 5.5 inches shorter than the sedan it's actually like .5 inches (give or take) shorter than the 9th gen coupe, so it's lower, wider and shorter than the 9th gen coupe was. Those are good proportions and should translate well into the handling and performance of the car.
they could be wider in the rear track, which leaves the front clip in tact.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
they could be wider in the rear track, which leaves the front clip in tact.
I double checked with another site admin and they confirmed 2 inches wider than the previous coupe/sedan (which were the same width) so same width as the 2016 sedan. Just 5.5 inches shorter and an inch lower.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Just hope they have better interior color options. That grey looks so plain compared to it's exterior.
Maybe the Touring trim will look a lot better.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I double checked with another site admin and they confirmed 2 inches wider than the previous coupe/sedan (which were the same width) so same width as the 2016 sedan. Just 5.5 inches shorter and an inch lower.
its not 5.5 inches shorter, thats the overhang from what i understand. The coupe has a longer wheelbase

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
its not 5.5 inches shorter, thats the overhang from what i understand. The coupe has a longer wheelbase
Longer wheel base but 5.5 inches was shaved off the rear overhang compared to the sedan, another site admin that was at the event confirmed with a honda rep, the coupe is 5.5 inches shorter than the sedan, which also makes it shorter than the 9th gen coupe.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Just hope they have better interior color options. That grey looks so plain compared to it's exterior.
Maybe the Touring trim will look a lot better.
I'm most interested in seeing what they'll do for the Si, with a confirmed Type R, it's possible we'll get some Type R DNA in Si styling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts