10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure that this is the kind of question people usually discuss here; so I apologize in advance.

I have a 2016 Civic EX with the sensing package. About three months after I bought the car, it was hit head on while I was standing at a light. The air bags didn?t deploy, but there was a lot of front-end damage, which a Honda repair shop said they fixed.

Fast forward to now. I noticed, as is typical with Civics, that one back rotor is starting to get slight groves in it. I've worked on other Civics I've owned, and I don't think much of the back brakes precisely because of this. To make it easer to work on the brakes, I bought a Foxwell 510 bidirectional scanner. It has a lot of ability to read OEM codes and allows service on the parking brake and the ABS system should I need to work on those components. I probably will only need it for the parking brake for this job.

I ran the OEM codes, and the thing lit up like a Christmas tree. No check engine light is on, but I get codes for things that may have been affected by the accident. For example, B0090-87 - no signal from left front impact sensor. U0416-68 VSA system malfunction. P2583-97 - Wave radar (could just be dirt the scanner said. It seems to be clean).

These are OEM codes and I'm not sure that they are supposed to turn a check engine light on. They haven't.

I'm not sure how I'm going to convince the Honda people to scan the codes without paying them. I'll try, but I just wondered if anyone here has any experience with problems indicated by these codes after an accident? By the way, I've never thought much of the Honda sensing system; so I have no real way of knowing if it is off because some of the sensors are not working. It has always seemed to work intermittently. I just thought it was a poor design. Now I'm wondering if it's just partially working.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Safety Features and codes

I have a 2016 Civic Touring and rarely use the safety features because they work erattically or shut off prematurely which is worse than not working at all. No service light and never checked codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reset the codes. They might be left over from the accident. I'll see if they come back.

I guess the dealership couldn't be bothered to check the codes or to reset them after the accident. I hope none of the sensing equipment was damaged. although I agree with you about its usefulness. Sometimes with the LKAS on and no traffic on the road, I watch as the car wanders into another lane and the lane departure warning lights up, while the LKAS system thinks everything is ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts