10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sure the Civic Type R is exciting, but it seems that Honda is also planning on offering a medium performance model of the Civic, the Civic Si.

Motoring.com.au reports that power will come from the turbocharged 1.5L inline-four announced at the concept unveiling at the New York Auto Show earlier this year. The output will be tuned to around 200hp which is 25% more than the 148hp version of the same engine in the Japan-market Honda StepWGN. Torque would be bumped up from 150 lb-ft to 192 lb-ft.

The Civic Si would likely come with only a manual transmission.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-may-introduce-mediumperformance-civic-si-88860.html

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I just don't know how credible this source is. Unless honda is planning on completely rebranding the Si as just an "upper trim" civic variant... Honda has officially made no announcements on the Si as of yet. The only cars they've mentioned have been the Type R and the base civics which are getting the 2.0NA in the base and the 1.5T in the upper trims. Granted, that engine could be tuned for higher output in tune with the current 2.4L the Si uses. I'm taking this with a grain of salt until honda actually says something about the future of the Si.

On a side note, IF honda were to market the Si as a "medium performance" version of the civic they should definitely offer it with the DCT from the ILX to bring in more sales.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suppose it's realistic that if the CTR isn't coming to the US for 2+ years we could end up with another MT only Si in the meantime. Whatever they decide to call it, I would be disappointed if the top trim US civic is MT only.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I really feel that if the Type R is going to be MT only, the Si should become a more widely accessible "Trim" and be offered with either a traditional 6 speed auto or the DCT from the ILX. The same way the Accord has the upper V6 engine, the Si would effectively be that for the Civic.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
^ That's what I would prefer to see, since from what i've noticed there are those folks that want something sporty enough and at the same time don't want to mess around with a manual.

Plus the Civic is one of the more diverse vehicles out there.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
^ That's what I would prefer to see, since from what i've noticed there are those folks that want something sporty enough and at the same time don't want to mess around with a manual.

Plus the Civic is one of the more diverse vehicles out there.
Exactly! I've always just considered the EX as my go to trim level because of the auto. 95% of my driving is stop and go city driving, i don't want a manual, nor do i know how to operate one (id love to learn tho). But the Si has always been out of reach because of that **** transmission. They have the perfect trans sitting in the ILX now that would be an easy swap to the Si, market it as just another upper trim which would allow honda to pass the new Si off with minimal power gains over the current car (except more torque if they use a turbo engine).

Give the Si a better front grill more like the concept and please dont put those ugly red seats in it like the current car has. I'd be all over that. It's only about $1000 more than an EX because it has all the EX features, just a different engine. I have no need for leather interior either. Then have the Type R as the performance oriented civic.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm not sure how much weight to put in this report, but I can see this happening. It seems like many other brands (granted they are mostly luxury cars) offer multiple trim levels of performance vehicles. I guarantee you that plenty of people would buy the Si model. Offers a mid range option instead of going with the base version or the Type R.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Exactly! I've always just considered the EX as my go to trim level because of the auto. 95% of my driving is stop and go city driving, i don't want a manual, nor do i know how to operate one (id love to learn tho). But the Si has always been out of reach because of that **** transmission. They have the perfect trans sitting in the ILX now that would be an easy swap to the Si, market it as just another upper trim which would allow honda to pass the new Si off with minimal power gains over the current car (except more torque if they use a turbo engine).

Give the Si a better front grill more like the concept and please dont put those ugly red seats in it like the current car has. I'd be all over that. It's only about $1000 more than an EX because it has all the EX features, just a different engine. I have no need for leather interior either. Then have the Type R as the performance oriented civic.
Good point about the ILX, I know they'll like that idea of being able to use what they already have into another vehicle which is similar in ways.

Hopefully they're listening to us :D

·
Registered
959 Posts

The only issue I see with that is it brings Acura and Honda far to close together. If you can get the Civic kitted similar to the ILX why should anyone buy the ILX... they have a hard enough time moving them as is...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do think that it is important to keep some distance between Honda and Acura. I prefer Honda to Acura though. I would choose a Honda for a good mainstream car, but if I went for luxury I probably wouldn't turn to Acura. I like the design direction of Honda better than Acura. If Hondas get too close to Acura then people will stop buying Acuras. I'm okay with that, but Honda (like overall Honda, not just the brand) would not.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The only issue I see with that is it brings Acura and Honda far to close together. If you can get the Civic kitted similar to the ILX why should anyone buy the ILX... they have a hard enough time moving them as is...
It all has to do with the name, status and overall interior quality/features of the car. The ILX offers more features than the civic, comes with that "high end" acura badge, and is bigger than the current civic. The ILX offers a 6 speed manual from the Si, but it doesn't bite into sales. Someone who can afford the ILX 9 times out of 10 won't look at the lowly civic as a comparison. And offering 2 different engines, the 2.4 in the ILX and the 1.5T in the Si would differentiate them enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I suppose we could speculate forever. Honda is very tight lipped on a new generation civic (not to mention MMC's).

I for one feel they are going to have a 2.0L N/A, a 1.5T and a 2.0T Si. But, again, speculation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts