10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look what was caught in germany testing on the 'Ring... a 10th gen Type R with an actual production body! Not a test mule!!!! Also gives us a good hint at what the hatch will look like, minus the extra sporty bits. Enjoy :)

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Look what was caught in germany testing on the 'Ring... a 10th gen Type R with an actual production body! Not a test mule!!!! Also gives us a good hint at what the hatch will look like, minus the extra sporty bits. Enjoy :)
If that is the hatch, which it appears to be, I like the roof line on the sedan much better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I like what is happening with the spoiler and I also think that the triple exhaust pipe with different sizes is a cool look. It doesn't look crazy different from the current generation Type R. I just mean that it isn't crazy different. It looks like something we would basically expect.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
agreed, the fastback makes the car visually flow better IMO. It could just be the camo but it looks a bit squashed in the rear 3/4...
This is pretty much what i expected from the civic hatch... this goes very much in line with the 8th and 9th gen hatches in terms of rear end shape, especially the split rear window. I didn't imagine they'd do a square back end like the fit or tourer model has.

·
Registered
959 Posts
This is pretty much what i expected from the civic hatch... this goes very much in line with the 8th and 9th gen hatches in terms of rear end shape, especially the split rear window. I didn't imagine they'd do a square back end like the fit or tourer model has.
thats not what I'm talking about. The C-pillar has gotten fat!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In reference to the C Pillar, i think the camo is hiding a small window like the sedan has on it... which will make the C pillar seem less huge as it appears with the camo on it. Actually, 90% sure there is a small window there.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everything we've heard from honda says the Type R is going to be a hatch... since honda is spending the money to import the hatches to the US for the first time in decades why change the formula of what everyone has been praying for for so long? It just makes sense that the same plant that builds the hatch and Type R would import both as is here instead of splitting up the production of the type R between the UK and US.

Not to say we won't EVER see a type R sedan or coupe... but i think until honda see how well a $30k civic sells in high performance variation they're going to keep it limited to the hatch body style that the UK is getting.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Everything we've heard from honda says the Type R is going to be a hatch... since honda is spending the money to import the hatches to the US for the first time in decades why change the formula of what everyone has been praying for for so long? It just makes sense that the same plant that builds the hatch and Type R would import both as is here instead of splitting up the production of the type R between the UK and US.

Not to say we won't EVER see a type R sedan or coupe... but i think until honda see how well a $30k civic sells in high performance variation they're going to keep it limited to the hatch body style that the UK is getting.
They've done a CTR sedan in the past.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes, i know that they did have a Type R sedan... but i just don't think that's what we're getting... Every single type R mule and prototype we've seen has been a hatchback. If they were going to make a type R sedan or coupe i would think we might have spotted one by now with that huge spoiler or the triple exhaust. But we haven't, only hatches... I don't see honda spreading out their production costs even further to make a sedan or coupe Type R (for the time being) until they know how well the hatch version does in sales etc.

Also the CTR Sedan was Asia only, and was more closely related to an Si (2.0L made similar numbers to the current 2.4L) than the current gen 305hp CTR hatch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There was a CTR sedan in Japan because the only Civic being sold in Japan at the time was a sedan. Now they don't regularly have any Civic at all - though they will receive the CTR along with the rest of us.

The new CTR will only come in 5-door hatchback form, built in the UK and shipped worldwide.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Not a big fan of hatchbacks because their shapes just looks odd to me but if that's all they're making...Are hatchbacks really that popular in the U.S?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a big fan of hatchbacks because their shapes just looks odd to me but if that's all they're making...Are hatchbacks really that popular in the U.S?
They never used to be... not since the oh so popular station wagons back in the 70s and such...

But now a days more and more hatches are being offered and selling in good numbers. The focus hatch makes up close to half the total sales of the focus compared to the sedan. The fit sells in good numbers too. When they came out with the new WRX sedan everyone had a hissy fit because they stopped offering a hatch... They're not everyone's cup of tea, but alot of people value them for not only their sporty character but their usable cargo area and versatility.

I never used to like hatches either... always thought they looked too boxy and not sporty at all... then somewhere along the way i started liking the look of the Golf and old EP3 hatch Si. Then having learned about the European hot hatch market just made them even more attractive.

I almost got a CRZ before i got my civic because i really really would love to have a sporty looking 3 door hatch. Maybe the next gen CRZ will be priced right and i can get one then...

Honestly, i know just as many people that don't like the look of coupes as i do people who don't like hatches. They say coupes look slab sided and boring because of their lack of back doors and that to me is insane, but everyone has their personal taste in style.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Also I think the whole thing about Americans wanting bigger vehicles played into the death of hatches and them not being able to grow in the U.S. market.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also I think the whole thing about Americans wanting bigger vehicles played into the death of hatches and them not being able to grow in the U.S. market.
Totally agree with this statement...

Our low gas prices (compared to europe) played into americans wanting their utility vehicles to huge and gas guzzling. Europe with their higher gas prices need utility from something more car like, smaller and more frugal...

Now that gas prices here have gone up we see a move away from large trucks and SUVs to smaller more economical hatches and CUVs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts