10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice that the Honda Civic, Chevy Volt, Hyundai Elantra and KIA Forte all kinda look the same? I'm not sure how much room car companies really have to do something different that we haven't seen before, but I am disappointed that all these cars basically are carbon copies. Take a look.

·
Registered
237 Posts
the thing about design in this segment is more often then not its a function of the lowest common denominator. Homogenous styling ensures that all the manufacturers are appealing to all of the potential..

I'm not sayig its a good thing, Its just their rationale...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm not surprised one bit, these days a lot of vehicles have a lot of similar things going on, in almost every segment.

Few times do you see completely unique designs.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean there is a certain understanding that cars are going to look a bit the same. They are going after the same customers after all, but it would be nice to see a bit more innovation. There is certainly more room for experimentation (that is still pretty risk-averse) than car makers are doing right now.

Any examples of unique cars in this segment?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I mean there is a certain understanding that cars are going to look a bit the same. They are going after the same customers after all, but it would be nice to see a bit more innovation. There is certainly more room for experimentation (that is still pretty risk-averse) than car makers are doing right now.

Any examples of unique cars in this segment?
You also have to consider buying motivations and demographics. Is this demographic using their vehicle as a surrogate for 'image'? How integral is the uniqueness of their transportation to their overall strategy and value of image?

Then you have to take the demographic ideals and compare them with the manufacturers intentions, which is ultimately sell as many cars as possible to as many people as possible. Vehicle design inevitably aims at maximising consumption before production even begins. If the chief competitor in segment looks a certain way, functions a certain way and appeals in a certain way its logical for a company looking for those EXACT same virtues to copy or appropriate those virtues as their own...

The ideal of the demographic doesn't dictate the ideal of the manufacturer, the manufacturer dictates the consumers ideal.

It costs money to have a soul, that's why Ferraris look like Ferraris and not Hondas...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figure that there should be a bit more variety even in this segment though. Just because you are going for a more conservative look doesn't mean that all the vehicles should look the same still. I think you are right that these consumers probably don't care as much about design though which means that the company has less incentive to push itself design-wise in this vehicle segment.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Image is the least of their concerns if it is even a concern to begin with, being part of the demographic and having friends and family that stick within this range, what it comes down to is the necessities. For some it starts with a brand they're comfortable for others it's how much they can get for what they're paying.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Image is the least of their concerns if it is even a concern to begin with, being part of the demographic and having friends and family that stick within this range, what it comes down to is the necessities. For some it starts with a brand they're comfortable for others it's how much they can get for what they're paying.
I understand this, but I would just think that car companies would want to differentiate their cars from one another more. It doesn't mean the have to make some incredible design award winner. I would just think that they do something that makes their car stand out obviously as "X brand". When it comes to "necessities" as you put it, I'm not sure there is a ton different about these various vehicles either.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I understand this, but I would just think that car companies would want to differentiate their cars from one another more. It doesn't mean the have to make some incredible design award winner. I would just think that they do something that makes their car stand out obviously as "X brand". When it comes to "necessities" as you put it, I'm not sure there is a ton different about these various vehicles either.
Because you're missing the point. Its about catering to the lowest common denominator. Thats why appearance, features and benefits all make similar offers across brands...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suppose you are right. With these models it might be best to track the design change of the whole segment instead of each individual model.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I suppose you are right. With these models it might be best to track the design change of the whole segment instead of each individual model.
How do you expect design changes to be tracked when things are under development for years and kept secret until they get the green light to go public?

It's not about tracking design change, it's about doing whats enough for this segment.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you expect design changes to be tracked when things are under development for years and kept secret until they get the green light to go public?

It's not about tracking design change, it's about doing whats enough for this segment.
I'm just saying that the design in this segment is more defined by wider design movements and trends than by one auto maker's unique design ideas. Every car goes through long development processes, I don't really see how that has much to do with analyzing design trends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts