10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Perhaps you have some funds squirreled away for a fun car project and there just happens to be a work in progress sitting in your garage. Well there’s some good news for you! Honda will start selling the 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder unit from the Civic Type R as a standalone crate engine.

Uncovered at SEMA yesterday, the dual-overhead cam VTEC K20C1 crate motor will delivery just as many ponies as it does in the outgoing Type R. All 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque can be shoehorned into an Integra or even bring your HR-V Type R Frankenstein dreams to life.

But there is a catch. The Type R crate engine can only be purchase through Honda Performance Development’s Honda Racing Line program and only to “U.S. grassroots and professional racers for verified, closed-course racing applications," meaning these turbocharged powerhouses will not be available for street use anytime soon.

If you do fit the bill and manage to pass Honda’s verification process, then the Type R crate engine can be purchased for $6,519.87 (plus shipping), a reasonable piece for a fresh from the factory engine. Even if you can’t get your hands on one, let us know what car you’d like to put the Civic Type R’s engine in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, these people will buy it: U.S. grassroots and professional racers for verified, closed-course racing applications," meaning these turbocharged powerhouses will not be available for street use anytime soon. Rats. On the bright side, I'm not tempted to buy one now.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I saw this on Autoweek the same day I also saw that Dodge is offering the Hellcat motor as a crate install.

The Honda motor at approximately $6,000 USD feels like a bargain as compared to the Dodge motor at nearly $20k USD.

Mike

·
Registered
382 Posts
20K? i'm thinking a good engine builder can do more for lot less. and i'm sure with that motor, one would have to change a myriad of items to ensure it works and fits properly.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
@fear24 - It's supposed to be turn-key and the $20k number includes "accessories", like the stuff that bolts to the front of the motor (alternator and power steering specifically). If someone wanted 400 or so horsepower and a carburetor then most engine builders can provide for many dollars less, but 707hp and fuel injection? That's going to cost. Disclaimer: emission exempt (pre-1976) applications only. Void where prohibited by law. Actual results may vary. Do not stare directly into the sun while using.

By comparison, the Type R engine package seems like a serious bargain to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would consider this if it was a **** near direct drop in for my 2017 si, and didn't require some stupid ass verification bla bla.

·
Registered
25 Posts
20K? i'm thinking a good engine builder can do more for lot less. and i'm sure with that motor, one would have to change a myriad of items to ensure it works and fits properly.

I'm betting on your same boat, heck i bet once i can get my hands on a cheap used 15T, i can make what a TypeR makes to the wheels with a baby 1.5T, keep in mind in stock form some tuners are already getting nearly 250whp without internal engine modification.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts