10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got 5000 miles maintenance check up from my dealer.
They rotated my tires and re-calibrated for TPMS, couple days later, I got the 'low tire pressure warning' for the first time. Of course I took it back to the dealer.
1st time, dealer said it is because of the spring weather. During the night it's cold, and during the day it's hot. They filled more air and re-calibrated. Couple days later the error code popped out again.
2nd time, dealer said Honda has a sensor for the spare tire, and my spare tire has low psi. They filled more air and re-calibrated. Couple hours later, while I am driving highways, the error code popped out again!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
if i'm not mistaken, honda uses an indirect tpms system. you do not have a sensor in the spare tire. the indirect system is based on an algorithm that the computer uses to check the rotation of each tire and compare them to one another. if your tire is low on pressure, the rotations will be different than the other tires.

if it's been truly recalibrated...and the all the tires are the same pressure...then, unfortunately, it appears your tpms system is malfunctioning. i'd try another dealer - one who at least knows what they are talking about.

if you have two different tires on the car (read: offset, staggered, etc) your car will throw the tpms sensor and light up the dash.

i had a few issues with mine way back when....over time, it actually fixed itself and hasn't happened. read - some electrical interference COULD cause a malfunction (which is what happened to mine). i'd be driving down the highway...and all of a sudden, my lights would glow. i'd check the tires...and all were good. i'd reset/re-calibrate the system...and it would work for long time....then, it would do it again. after about 1.5 years of this (maybe 3 times in that span) did it happen, it no longer comes on. i'm going on my 3rd year of the car and 65K miles.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Uh yea there are no sensors in the wheel anymore especially not in the spare.Thats really dishonest of them to have said that,they oughta be ashamed of themselves.

·
Registered
198 Posts
They rotated my tires and re-calibrated for TPMS, couple days later, I got the 'low tire pressure warning' for the first time. Of course I took it back to the dealer.
1st time, dealer said it is because of the spring weather. During the night it's cold, and during the day it's hot. They filled more air and re-calibrated. Couple days later the error code popped out again.
2nd time, dealer said Honda has a sensor for the spare tire, and my spare tire has low psi. They filled more air and re-calibrated. Couple hours later, while I am driving highways, the error code popped out again!!
Yes, run the calibrate TPMS from your infotainment screen and the drive for 30 minutes. That how long the calibration takes to complete

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey there,

So I have also been recently been getting this problem also. I rotated my Civic Touring tires back in June and almost 5,000 miles ago with the oil change. The Low tire pressure warnings would NOT go away, even after I checked each tire that had about 28 - 29 PSI and not that bad.

Did you run the calibrate TPMS and worked? Please let me know ASAP as a current concerned Civic driver of this beauty!! Thanks!!

- Chuck

·
Registered
382 Posts
if you are at 28-29 psi...you are too low for recommended PSI. it will throw the light. it's getting colder, so the pressure in your tires will drop.

fill your tires to the recommended pressure (indicated by the sticker on your door jamb) and reset the tpms system by performing the recalibration method as outlined by your manual.

get in the habit of checking your tire pressures once a month. it's a 5 minute check...and it's the difference between you, your family and a ditch or tree.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I had a very similar issue. Run the calibrate TPMS from your infotainment screen, do that 3 times in a row, that will reset the module. Of course make sure your tires are at the correct psi as said on the tire label

·
Registered
88 Posts
These hanGOOK Kinergy GT All-seasons hold their air pressure so well in this sweltering heat that I am in heaven. Not a mutter from the TPM and all my previous DD were always losing 2-5 psi every few weeks, even brand new tires like the Yokohama YK 520s that were the house brand from Discount tire. For example, I go in for FF oil change and only 2 psi loss with front set only! These Made in Korea hanGOOKs are jawsome, 5 jaws open! I bet they cost a lot to replace all four.

·
Registered
3 Posts
low tire

dealer had tires off lost my lock and cant get rid of low pressure warning

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have an 18 Civic Sport that had the light come on almost right away. Dealer did a recalibration. Worked fine for a bit, started having issues again. Temperatures arent making a difference as the tires have nitrogen in them. We are on our 6th visit to the dealer because of this problem. As it sits, it has new tires, new wheels, new sensors. We drive it for 60-100 miles and light comes on. Honda advised replacement of the VSA controller. Now here is the kicker, our loaner car is also an 18 Civic Sport with 10k on odometer. Guess what came on? Yep, TPMS light. Dealer said fluctuation in outside temp, so reset system. Guess what came back on after 50 miles of driving?? We have received 2 warranty extensions from class action lawsuits for other reasons and think there is a TPMS issue now. Btw, this is our first Honda, and not liking the experience. Any one else with same issue??

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter bought a used 2018 Honda Civic and it started throwing the code a month ago. Checked tires and found one that had a small nail but psi was same as others. Had tire fixed and recalibrated. Light comes on again. Checked the tires and all were fine. Had a oil change today and went to dealership. Told him what was happening and he said you gotta recalibrate 3 times. Sounds ridiculous but he said he would take care of it. Looked over the tires and he did the recalibration, I’m supposing the three times. On her way home from dealership 30min into the drive, the light comes back on. Seems like this system they use that relies on the abs instead of tire sensors is faulty. I have a Nissan Rogue and when my low tire pressure light came on it was because I had low pressure. Once filled, light went off and that was that. No recalibrating 3x. Seems like every car maker has their defects. She has to take it back to the dealer, but it’s strange that your rental is doing the same thing. :unsure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts