10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consumer Reports has posted information pertaining to their auto reliability survey and the results are pretty disappointing. For Honda that is. Lexus, as usual (more often than less) took the cake with the highest score with Toyota following right after. Ram ended up coming at the bottom of the pack because.. well, it's quite self explanatory. But as for Honda and the Civic specifically, Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports' director of automotive testing, has stated "We're not recommending the Honda Civic because of it's poor reliability."

Link: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...orts-2016-annual-auto-reliability-survey.html
Fisher said that for the first time ever, “We’re not recommending the Honda Civic because of its poor reliability.” Owners reported issues with faulty in-vehicle electronics as well surging engines, among other things.

When asked why they aren’t doing as well as they have in the past Fisher responded, “I think Honda is kind of [moving] away from the Toyota playbook,” by making a lot of changes all at once. The Civic is completely new, with a new engine, new infotainment system and plenty of other new features. Whenever a car company makes a slew of major alterations they open themselves up to quality issues. Because of this, Fisher described Honda as “not a conservative company [anymore].”

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yea, the Civic has been having a lot of reliability problems if the threads in the forum are any indication. Things just aren't built like they used to be.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt. A new model of vehicle is going to have some teething issues regardless of the manufacturer and CR often shy's away from recommending new models. But look at some of the top notch brands that are rated lower than Honda, some impressive names among the list.

FWIW, I own a vehicle from the 26th ranked manufacturer, I've pounded 98k kms on it in 2 years and it has not had a single defect or complaint since I've owned it, if you look up the CR rating on it they don't have anything good to say about it.

Car ratings are like buttholes, everyone has one and they are all a little bit different.

Reactions: 4Tires

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you get CR's April auto issue and review the reliability survey charts, you will see a very good overall rating. CR will not recommend a new model until they have more information on it from the next couple of surveys. The Civics assembled in the US have had assembly issues. The last couple of generations had design issues.

I believe Honda has turned the corner on the Civic design and will improve there position over the next couple of years. The CR-Z was made in Japan and was very reliable. It dropped off of their survey because not enough users responded to the survey and it was a low volume car.

·
Registered
876 Posts
As great as these reports are and as reputable CR can be we should always cross reference what they report with other sources since when you do that, you position yourself best.

I think at one point CR was said to be biased towards certain car makers.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Car ratings are like buttholes, everyone has one and they are all a little bit different.
I can never take any car ratings seriously again. :surprise: Guess a better judge for reliability would be actual complaints lodged by people who own the car, i.e. that car complaints site.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still can't believe the Chevy Cruze was the recommended vehicle.. I mean, I guess it's reliable because it's boring...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I still can't believe the Chevy Cruze was the recommended vehicle.. I mean, I guess it's reliable because it's boring...
Take it with a grain of salt.

What matters more to me is looking at who actually has skin in the game, who has owned a good number of vehicles that can speak from a solid history and so far Japanese vehicles have long proven themselves, meanwhile American cars have more proving to do.

Anyone that solely relies on rating likes these are doomed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
but, alot of Japanese cars are now built here in NA. the design and engineering may be spot on...but, the actual assembly could be different than the NA models vs. the Mexico built and European built models.

maybe once the hatchbacks start hitting the streets more...we'll get a better gauge of how the assembly affects the grade. (hatches are built in europe where as the sedan/coupes are built here in NA).

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
but, alot of Japanese cars are now built here in NA. the design and engineering may be spot on...but, the actual assembly could be different than the NA models vs. the Mexico built and European built models.

maybe once the hatchbacks start hitting the streets more...we'll get a better gauge of how the assembly affects the grade. (hatches are built in europe where as the sedan/coupes are built here in NA).
I hear alot of people online complain about cars being built in mexico, and sub par build quality... but, in reality a company is going to have quality control in place so that no matter where something is built, it shouldn't make a difference. Obviously, it comes down to the regional bosses to enforce said quality control. I agree it'll be interesting to see what,if any difference the NA vs. UK builds have. On a lesser scale the coupes are built in Canada, as opposed to the sedans being built in the US, and the sedans have had quite a few more quality issues than the coupes have, but that could be argued that is due to increased scale of production on the sedans compared to the coupes which are produced in much smaller numbers and therefore potentially built with closer attention to detail.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Then I assume the same would apply to the hatchbacks that are built in the UK. They may be popular but the hatch won't be built in large quantities like the sedan.

I'm a bit amazed that Jeep has gone up on the list. They aren't really known for reliability even though people still flock to the brand.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Then I assume the same would apply to the hatchbacks that are built in the UK. They may be popular but the hatch won't be built in large quantities like the sedan.

I'm a bit amazed that Jeep has gone up on the list. They aren't really known for reliability even though people still flock to the brand.
Jeep seems very Jekyl and Hyde to me... knowing people who've owned multiple Jeeps over the decades they're either unkillable or total lemons. I work with someone that has 2 jeeps currently and they seem to be in and out of the shop on a constant basis, but he still loves them and insists on buying more jeeps in the future. If i had had that kind of luck with any of my honda's i probably would've jumped ship from the brand, not crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeep stories I can agree, I find them either very great, or just horrible. There really isn't a mid way point. But they're brand over the years has developed quite the following and one thing you can't deny is they're very versatile vehicles. Some models more than others of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts