10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any problems with cracking and/or flaking paint on handles and mirrors? I have a 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback in Sonic Gray, about six or eight months ago I noticed the paint on the door handles were cracked and flaky. Took it to the dealership and the painted cap/cover piece had to be replaced on all of the door handles and both side view mirrors. I was told these pieces were bought from an outside source and mine just happened to get some bad paint. It was an easy fix and under warranty. Now I have one handle that's starting to crack again, but its no longer under warranty so I will have to pay for the piece. It seems odd to me that this is happening again so soon, anyone have similar issues?

· Registered
3 Posts
I didn't have cracking or flaking on the handles or mirrors of my 2017 Aegean Blue Civic, but at fewer than 30,000 miles and a couple of months out of warranty, the paint surrounding the rear windshield began peeling extensively. Additionally, spots on the door beneath its window were beginning to peel. I'd purchased the car new so contacted the dealership and learned my problem wasn’t unique and that Honda had extended its paint warranty to seven years and would cover the cost of repainting. The dealer sent me to its preferred body shop for necessary photos and an estimate, which it sent to Honda's district office. I was then told that although Honda would cover 100% of the repainting for white Civics, my Aegean Blue Metallic Civic was eligible for only 40% because it was out of warranty. That body shop as well as another one I went to independently told me that peeling was either caused by defective paint, bad prep work, or faulty paint application. My research showed other Aegean Blue Civics with the same issue: Honda addressed/remedied those inconsistently. Honda eventually paid for 50% of my car's repainting, but it took a lot of haggling. For what it's worth, the estimator at the first body shop had a grey 2019 Civic (I don't know the specific grey or model) that also had paint peeling.

· Registered
66 Posts
Anyone have any problems with cracking and/or flaking paint on handles and mirrors? I have a 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback in Sonic Gray, about six or eight months ago I noticed the paint on the door handles were cracked and flaky. Took it to the dealership and the painted cap/cover piece had to be replaced on all of the door handles and both side view mirrors. I was told these pieces were bought from an outside source and mine just happened to get some bad paint. It was an easy fix and under warranty. Now I have one handle that's starting to crack again, but its no longer under warranty so I will have to pay for the piece. It seems odd to me that this is happening again so soon, anyone have similar issues?
I have a 2018 " Aegean Blue Metallic?" Sport Touring Hatchback & had minor paint chipping/peeling on the short rearward facing piece on my right front door handle. I replaced it as the cost was not too bad. I blamed it on the hot Florida sun, as that side faced the most sun when parked. It was cheaper that way I was told than just the cost of painting it would be. Now I just noticed that the forward long main gripping handle piece is showing some small paint chipping, which I can probably fix with my bottle of touchup paint, unless it gets worse. This is the only area I have seen so far, & until reading these two reports, have thought it to be hot sun related, & now I am not so sure.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 " Aegean Blue Metallic?" Sport Touring Hatchback & had minor paint chipping/peeling on the short rearward facing piece on my right front door handle. I replaced it as the cost was not too bad. I blamed it on the hot Florida sun, as that side faced the most sun when parked. It was cheaper that way I was told than just the cost of painting it would be. Now I just noticed that the forward long main gripping handle piece is showing some small paint chipping, which I can probably fix with my bottle of touchup paint, unless it gets worse. This is the only area I have seen so far, & until reading these two reports, have thought it to be hot sun related, & now I am not so sure.
Google it. Lots of peeling paint out there, unfortunately.

· Registered
2 Posts
I’m having issues with my 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback. Maybe less than a year ago I started noticing the drivers side mirror chipping and now the paint is almost completely gone. I’ve also noticed the door handles are chipping as well. Called Honda and was told there is nothing they would be able to do since the car is not under warranty anymore. My car is almost paid off but now I’m questioning if I should sell now before the problems get worse. This seems to be a problem for lots of Honda owners. Very unfortunate situation. Wish I would have stuck with Toyota now instead of buying this car years ago.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m having issues with my 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback. Maybe less than a year ago I started noticing the drivers side mirror chipping and now the paint is almost completely gone. I’ve also noticed the door handles are chipping as well. Called Honda and was told there is nothing they would be able to do since the car is not under warranty anymore. My car is almost paid off but now I’m questioning if I should sell now before the problems get worse. This seems to be a problem for lots of Honda owners. Very unfortunate situation. Wish I would have stuck with Toyota now instead of buying this car years ago.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The paint problems seem to be with the mirrors and door handles not the body of the cars, those parts are painted separately. Did you call Honda directly or a local dealership? The dealership I bought from refused to do anything because my car is out of warranty. They had replaced the mirror caps and one door handle less than a year before but 800 miles later, and past the warranty cutoff, they refused to do anything and were actually very rude to me. This is a Honda issue with paint on certain parts, it has nothing to do with miles or age of vehicle, the cars with these problems are 1 to 3 years old. After researching and seeing so many Civics and Accords with this problem, I was determined someone was going to do something lol. I called another Honda dealership and spoke to the service manager, (I didn't tell him about the other dealership, only that I bought the car elsewhere) told him what had been done and that there was flaking and cracking again. He confirmed it is a Honda issue that they are aware of and said he believed they would make it good. I took it in, he took photos and made an expedited claim directly to Honda and they are replacing my door handles! I do have to pay $30, not even sure what that is for but it's reasonable so I'm fine with it. So maybe try another dealership, another one may be more willing to work with you.

· Registered
2 Posts
Okay, thanks for the information. My husband and I had reached out to the local dealership. I will try contacting Honda directly next and if that doesn’t work check with another dealership to see what they would be able to do. I’m hoping to find a solution soon. Don’t want

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**Update: I ended up at a different Honda dealership because the dealer I bought the car from refused to do anything and was very rude about it. The service manager at the other dealership told me this is a Honda issue they are aware of and believed they would make it right. He took photos of the problem areas and made an expedited claim directly to Honda and they are replacing my door handles. Seems like my original Honda dealer didn't care to know what was going on or even try to make it right while the dealer knew of an issue and said he wanted to do whatever he could to "keep you happy with a Honda"

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
**Update: I ended up at a different Honda dealership because the dealer I bought the car from refused to do anything and was very rude about it. The service manager at the other dealership told me this is a Honda issue they are aware of and believed they would make it right. He took photos of the problem areas and made an expedited claim directly to Honda and they are replacing my door handles. Seems like my original Honda dealer didn't care to know what was going on or even try to make it right while the dealer knew of an issue and said he wanted to do whatever he could to "keep you happy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts