10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am driving in a very busy city and a handful of time, I've been getting close to getting into an accident. I was told to get a dash camera for my car to record things for insurance purposes. The civic 2017 does not have a cigarette lighter but only a power outlet socket. most camera only work with cigarrete lighters. Does anyone have a camera for their car and has a solution for my problem? thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,
I am driving in a very busy city and a handful of time, I've been getting close to getting into an accident. I was told to get a dash camera for my car to record things for insurance purposes. The civic 2017 does not have a cigarette lighter but only a power outlet socket. most camera only work with cigarrete lighters. Does anyone have a camera for their car and has a solution for my problem? thank you
Are you sure the cigarette lighter "output" plug isnt behind the main console below the display but behind the console, you cant just get in and see it. Anyway just went through this entire mess. I bought a camera with a display on it and it was a nightmare trying to look at it and drive would be a great mix for a crash. The best one I found is by Cobra and adapts to the Cobra radar detector. It is a little costly but you wont be sorry. You actually watch the video on your phone. So if you have different holder that is eye level or close (like a vent clip holder) you will enjoy i much beter than trying to watch that little stupid screen that you need 15-15 vision to see........Oh and adding a 12v line is a piece of cake. You tube it if you need to.
Take care and good luck..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you sure the cigarette lighter "output" plug isnt behind the main console below the display but behind the console, you cant just get in and see it. Anyway just went through this entire mess. I bought a camera with a display on it and it was a nightmare trying to look at it and drive would be a great mix for a crash. The best one I found is by Cobra and adapts to the Cobra radar detector. It is a little costly but you wont be sorry. You actually watch the video on your phone. So if you have different holder that is eye level or close (like a vent clip holder) you will enjoy i much beter than trying to watch that little stupid screen that you need 15-15 vision to see........Oh and adding a 12v line is a piece of cake. You tube it if you need to.
Take care and good luck..
I have a 2018 Civic Sport Touring Hatchback, & my cigarette "lighter" socket is also "hidden" out of normal view forward, & behind the center console shelf, kind of under the center dash. I think they actually recommend they not be used with the actual push in part that lights a cigarette, but to now use only as a power source. I have a two way splitter plugged into mine. one for the Garmin dash cam, & the other for my radar detector. I hope you didn't mean to be watching the cam video when driving, instead of watching where you are driving! I highly recommend NOT using a suction cup mount for either!!! They tend to lose suction very easily & can result in falling down with possible damage to the unit or dinging/denting car interior parts. I have a visor clip mount for the detector & a mirror post clamp mount for the cam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 Civic Sport Touring Hatchback, & my cigarette "lighter" socket is also "hidden" out of normal view forward, & behind the center console shelf, kind of under the center dash. I think they actually recommend they not be used with the actual push in part that lights a cigarette, but to now use only as a power source. I have a two way splitter plugged into mine. one for the Garmin dash cam, & the other for my radar detector. I hope you didn't mean to be watching the cam video when driving, instead of watching where you are driving! I highly recommend NOT using a suction cup mount for either!!! They tend to lose suction very easily & can result in falling down with possible damage to the unit or dinging/denting car interior parts. I have a visor clip mount for the detector & a mirror post clamp mount for the cam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I have a suction cup that has a handle that pulls it right down on my window. Sometimes when I wash my car I am amazed at how stuck to the windshield it is. Works great, but it wasnt cheap. I agree a regular suction cup to hold both a radar detector and a camera would be far to much load for a wimpy suction cup that temperature can affect.
point well taken..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
I...but only a power outlet socket. most camera only work with cigarrete lighters. Does anyone have a camera for their car and has a solution for my problem? thank you
If you do only have a USB outlet, look at the Nexar Beam (I have one), as thats its hookup cable.

I call it a basic dash cam. Not perfect, has limited features, but i can set it to auto-record when I turn on the Si, and shuts off when I turn it off. Not a lot of frills to the app or the camera, but thats not why I bought it. Has a few weak points, but it does the trick for me. I need a running vid of my drives "just in case" something happens (my shite luck kicks in when I lest expect it). Company looks like they are actively growing and improving their product.

Cost was $65.00 US +/- with a 32Gb micro card. Cost more if you want a bigger card (you don't need it, imho), and has all you need. See: Nexar | Road safety powered by dash cam & app

NOTE: no affiliation, just a satisfied user.

Just my 0.02...Good lick!

Eddie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts