10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Hyundai Elantra versus 2016 Honda Civic??

Thanks to Daily Sun for the quick comparison:

-Civic is more pricer than the Hyundai...

-Elantra has 147 HP versus Civic has 158 HP up to 174 HP (options that are +/-, especially in the Type Rs).

"At just over $20,000 buyers can get a good deal of safety features along with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, remote start, climate control, alloy wheels, keyless entry, auto trunk open, dynamic bending HID lights, Bluetooth connectivity, steering wheel buttons, and many others."

What's your pick??

:confused:

·
Registered
346 Posts
2017 Hyundai Elantra versus 2016 Honda Civic??

Thanks to Daily Sun for the quick comparison:

-Civic is more pricer than the Hyundai...

-Elantra has 147 HP versus Civic has 158 HP up to 174 HP (options that are +/-, especially in the Type Rs).

"At just over $20,000 buyers can get a good deal of safety features along with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, remote start, climate control, alloy wheels, keyless entry, auto trunk open, dynamic bending HID lights, Bluetooth connectivity, steering wheel buttons, and many others."

What's your pick??

:confused:
This comparison has already been done in this forum

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Civic hands down. Having looked at both at the auto show this last weekend the Elantra, while nice, is meh compared to the civic styling. Especially the interior. The elantra also doesn't have the nifty gauge cluster digital screen that's configurable. While the elantra goes more for the luxury look, the civic has the sporty looks and i guarantee that the elantra doesn't handle as well/sporty as the civic does either. Also the lack of a coupe option is an immediate drawback for me personally.

The elantra is a good car, packed with features for a super competitive price, but styling and performance it can't hold a candle to the new civic.

·
Registered
346 Posts
A year ago I would have picked Elantra over Civic, because the Elantra had all the tech and looked better to me than the 2015 Civic, but now? HA no contest, the Civic has it all over the Elantra, no contest

·
Registered
37 Posts
The rivals for the 10Civic will be the soon face lifted Corolla and Mazda3 IMO. Especially the Mazda3.
I think VW just released a 1.4 turbo golf/jetta also. The 3 cylinder mini also comes to mind as a rival...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rivals

The rivals for the 10Civic will be the soon face lifted Corolla and Mazda3 IMO. Especially the Mazda3.
I could see the close call between the two cars of the civic and mazda3...
Although, when I'm looking at it side by side, I personally prefer the civic better.

Exterior trim on the honda civic is a bit more eye catching to me compared to the mazda3.

Seems like the mazda3 interior space is not much of a difference to the honda civic. Although the cargo has more space, which is what I like :D

It's going to be a head on competition among these cars right???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Civic VS Jetta?

I think VW just released a 1.4 turbo golf/jetta also. The 3 cylinder mini also comes to mind as a rival...
It looks like it.

Color isn't bad, but there's not physical exterior appearance that strikes out at me to rival with the other 3 competitors that were mentioned in the previous post...

But then again, perhaps you're right, it can become a rival for the others too.

The civic just keeps stepping up its game, don't you think? :D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The 2017 Hyundai Elantra has the same large grille as everyone else and it's not an exciting design overall. Not sure about the face lifted Toyota Corolla, they're generally pretty vanilla in terms of design. Toyota is trying to move away from that but it doesn't look that great. The Mazda is going to be the main competition in design.

With Honda's new line of Civics, I'm sure they're bound to draw in some people from the other models listed here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I agree about the grille on the hyundai.

Toyota hasn't really stepped up their games with their car designs.. hopefully they will!

Perhaps the Civic and the Mazda3 will go head to head in competition, but I personally still prefer the civic trim.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Some here have quoted looks, power, tech, etc., but the most important comparison (to me anyway) is reputation for quality...I choose Honda! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also, it seems likely that the Honda's suspension tuning will trounce the Hyundai's. Good thing for Honda that they finally will have a hatch. That was where Hyundai cleaned up a bit: the more practical body style was unavailable for too, too long. Soon to be rectified!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great news

Also, it seems likely that the Honda's suspension tuning will trounce the Hyundai's. Good thing for Honda that they finally will have a hatch. That was where Hyundai cleaned up a bit: the more practical body style was unavailable for too, too long. Soon to be rectified!
That's great news for Honda!

Looks like Honda is going to clean up the market for a bit too then with their new hatch back.

Will Hyundai go head to head to compete with honda then?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Toyota has stepped up design, just look at how the current corolla compares to the generation before it, that's a big change.

But where they haven't improved (or at least how some of us see it) is they might not have mass appeal since the brands new design language seems to be either you hate it or love it, no inbetween

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True

Toyota has stepped up design, just look at how the current corolla compares to the generation before it, that's a big change.

But where they haven't improved (or at least how some of us see it) is they might not have mass appeal since the brands new design language seems to be either you hate it or love it, no inbetween
Yeah that's true. The new corolla definitely takes off with the new design.

It's kind of like the lexus too, where it's a love or hate debate.

Perhaps, when they go from basic or simple look to a drastic change in appearance, some don't know how to react to it? like mixed feeling?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Some here have quoted looks, power, tech, etc., but the most important comparison (to me anyway) is reputation for quality...I choose Honda! :)
Isn't Toyota also known for quality and reliability? always thought Toyota and Honda were both around the same level regarding this.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Isn't Toyota also known for quality and reliability? always thought Toyota and Honda were both around the same level regarding this.
Reliability maybe, but quality, not as much anymore. Having looked at most of their new models recently compared to honda... Toyota's materials, interior build quality etc has suffered. Way too much thin, hard and brittle feeling plastic all over the place while honda is adding more and more soft touch to it's cars. The one thing i'll give to the corolla over the civic, standard LED headlights... but that's it.

They just debuted the refreshed 2017 corolla and it is as terrible as i expected. It's got the upper grill of the Scion iM, the headlights of the camry/avalon and the grill opening of a way bigger lexus with the sharp points and creases of the new prius... meanwhile the back end is unchanged and still looks round and bulbous (more so now because of the new front end).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm..

Yeah.. True say.

I've thought the same, however, it seems alot of others lean towards Honda?

Cheaper parts for repair compared to Toyota.. :surprise:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like 5STAR mentioned, not everyone has adapted to the new design language for Toyota just yet. But I believe this isn't necessary a bad thing for not just Toyota, but any brand out there since a new design can certainly bring a lot of attention for a brand. Like with the 2017 MDX, there's already been people talking about Acura's new design language, the "diamond pentagon" grille that will soon go on all Acura models. Also, remember when the 4th gen CR-V came out back in 2012, people hated that Volvo looking taillights and the overall look of its rear. But guess what? The 4th gen CR-V has been outselling itself every year since 2012. But I do think that the public will like the new Civic better in general.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts