10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question about the E-brake on the 2016 Civic, since its electronically controlled would it be recommended to use alongside while I'm Parked and outside of the car? My concern is that it'll drain the battery. This car has a lot of tech. and most of the time I worry about some of the tech. draining the battery while the car is off.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I tried looking at the owner's manual and it doesn't mention anything about the battery being drained from the Electric E-Brake. Only problem is if your battery is already dead from something else.

I would guess that it's just electronically controlled when you apply and disengage it, not while the brake is in use while your car is parked and turned off. Maybe soemone else can answer this better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 2014 civic touring sedan when I bought the car I put auto options leave it like that and almost 2 years gone I don't have any problem with battery it's always work even minus 35 40 don't worry the car electric system is set accordingly.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think these come with fail safe's just to ensure it won't drain power like many electronic systems can but don't.

If you're really concerned and want to track it yourself, buy a volt meter and take random measurements of the batteries charge state, typically 14v or around is what you want

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honda calls it a parking brake, not an e-brake. It's meant to be used when you park. I always use the parking brake when I leave my car and I have not had a problem with the battery draining. I think 4Tires is right, the battery is only used to engage/disengage the brake, not hold the brake in place.

Interesting side note, according to the manual, if you pull up on the switch to emergency brake, the car uses the stability control system to stop the car, not the parking brake itself:

"If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while
driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the VSA
system until the vehicle come to a stop. The electric parking
brake then applies, and the switch should be released."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wish they would have just put an oldschool parking break lever in there. I'm gonna miss the click sounds when I get my '17 6MT EX-T.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wish they would have just put an oldschool parking break lever in there. I'm gonna miss the click sounds when I get my '17 6MT EX-T.
I like the e-brake. It's simple to use and it allows for that very spacious center console. I like the console very much. The sliding and removable components allow for easy cleaning and some versatility in the layout scheme.
This console wouldn't be possible with the old fashioned emergency brake. Nice touch for the Civic IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's just an electrically operated parking brake. It doesn't need electricity to stay on or off. It just uses an electrical motor to pull or release the hand brake. That is all it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Note with the engine running the e-brake will disengage after ten min. Use of the e-brake when stopping and exiting the car appears to automatically set the parking brake when you remove the key.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Honda calls it a parking brake, not an e-brake. It's meant to be used when you park. I always use the parking brake when I leave my car and I have not had a problem with the battery draining. I think 4Tires is right, the battery is only used to engage/disengage the brake, not hold the brake in place.

Interesting side note, according to the manual, if you pull up on the switch to emergency brake, the car uses the stability control system to stop the car, not the parking brake itself:

"If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while
driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the VSA
system until the vehicle come to a stop. The electric parking
brake then applies, and the switch should be released."

Ahhh okay I see now. So it's used for parking, that explains why whenever I put the transmission in "P" it still moves around, very slightly but when the electric brake and the transmission is on P it sits very solidly. I was very confused on the addition of it. I've seen Civic reviews and other cars with the electric brake like the, C7 Corvette, and they claim it to be an an electric E-brake. Thank you for clearing it up, I'll be sure to use it more often when parked :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts