10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more question, I swear. What are Honda's extended warranties like cost wise/duration wise?

I plan on getting a 2016 Si Sedan next spring and then drive it into the ground or keep it for 10 years... whichever comes first.

Just wondering what experience you guys have had with Honda's extended warranty.

Gracias!

·
Registered
77 Posts
GREAT question!
I'll soon be buying a Touring sedan and I expect them to push me on extended warranties, etc.

We need advice people! Speak up and advise!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got an extended warranty with my 2010 accord from fidelity. I do believe I overpaid, it was $1,500-$2k and its basically bumper to bumper coverage.

Good thing is, I just about broke even on it as my radiator sprung a leak, my a/c condenser sprung a leak and one of my door lock switches stopped working and they covered it all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does Honda Care extended warranty really start when you pay? So if I bought 8y/120K miles warranty at the time I bought the car, the first three years are redundant because of the standard warranty. Extended warranties in general are a huge profit maker for companies.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would generally shy away from extended warranties, based on the experience I've had with Hondas, Toyotas, and Mazdas. This time around I spent $1K for an eight year extended warranty just because of the replacement cost of the Navigation unit. When we purchased Black Betty, the Navi unit was $4,500 MSRP and the SD card was $900 MSRP. The prices today still make the warranty worth the cost. Look up a few electronic items parts prices and make the decision if it's worth it.

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Wow the display unit is expensive. Warranty for that alone is more than worth it if you ever need to replace it. Wasn't aware replacing one of them would cost so much.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Here's a list of the MSRP prices for Honda's extended warranties

The final prices will vary, of course, based on what you and the finance manager agree upon. I am fortunate that my store allows me to offer a set discount for customers that come in through my website, so they don't have to haggle for a good deal. We keep it simple, though.

You might be asking why the extended warranties start with a 3 year/45,000 mile coverage. That's for people who lease and do more than 12,000 miles a year, who still want to be covered under a warranty.

I personally get extra warranties on anything Im keeping for five years or more. Repairing cars are expensive and every year more and more computers are added, which the average American is simply not equipped, nor trained, to repair.

In the end, they kind pay for themselves. Example: a friend of mine purchased a used Honda Fit a few years ago. It was at a different store than mine, but I still helped her with the whole buying prices. They offered her the extended warranty. She asked me if this is something she should consider, which I insisted she take since she was planning to keep this car for many years.

Not long after owning the car her AC condenser went bad. While the car had less than 40K miles, these things can simply happen. There's no car brand that never breaks. Remember, every manufacturer has suppliers and it is expected that something can go wrong at some point.

Needless to say, the part alone was about $800 without the labor. She didn't have to pay anything because she had the warranty, which still covers her till this day.

Finally, in the chance that you do sell/trade in your car after a two or three years, you can call the warranty company and they will reimburse you the difference. In simple terms, if you paid for $1600 for a 6 year warranty and traded in the car after three years, the company will reimburse you the difference, which is about $800.

So if you are planning to keep your new Civic 5 years plus or drive a lot miles, get a warranty. It just makes sense, especially with all the new tech that the 2016 Civic offers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can you buy the extend warranty close to the end of the factory warranty period (for an upcharge, of course).

Also, can you buy Honda Care from another dealer, possibly in another state even, that offers you a better price?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's a list of the MSRP prices for Honda's extended warranties

The final prices will vary, of course, based on what you and the finance manager agree upon. I am fortunate that my store allows me to offer a set discount for customers that come in through my website, so they don't have to haggle for a good deal. We keep it simple, though.

You might be asking why the extended warranties start with a 3 year/45,000 mile coverage. That's for people who lease and do more than 12,000 miles a year, who still want to be covered under a warranty.

I personally get extra warranties on anything Im keeping for five years or more. Repairing cars are expensive and every year more and more computers are added, which the average American is simply not equipped, nor trained, to repair.

In the end, they kind pay for themselves. Example: a friend of mine purchased a used Honda Fit a few years ago. It was at a different store than mine, but I still helped her with the whole buying prices. They offered her the extended warranty. She asked me if this is something she should consider, which I insisted she take since she was planning to keep this car for many years.

Not long after owning the car her AC condenser went bad. While the car had less than 40K miles, these things can simply happen. There's no car brand that never breaks. Remember, every manufacturer has suppliers and it is expected that something can go wrong at some point.

Needless to say, the part alone was about $800 without the labor. She didn't have to pay anything because she had the warranty, which still covers her till this day.

Finally, in the chance that you do sell/trade in your car after a two or three years, you can call the warranty company and they will reimburse you the difference. In simple terms, if you paid for $1600 for a 6 year warranty and traded in the car after three years, the company will reimburse you the difference, which is about $800.

So if you are planning to keep your new Civic 5 years plus or drive a lot miles, get a warranty. It just makes sense, especially with all the new tech that the 2016 Civic offers.
Do these warranties start after the new car warranty ends or what?

·
Registered
53 Posts
That has to be the case otherwise if the standard warranty is 3 years and you get a 3 year extended warranty, after 3 years you're left with nothing,. :D
It's not the case. That 3 year warranty was created just for leases, where the car is driven over 36K miles. To me it is false advertising to list these like this. To understand the true time/milage, you have to subtract the standard warranty (3 years / 36,000 miles). That's the coverage you are buying.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I never get the extended warranties. It's obvious that it is a money grab and ultimately is a bet basically, just like any insurance. If you never use the insurance over the time period, then you do not benefit at all. You have to actually have a significant problem for it to be worth it, and most people do not, that's how Honda makes money.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since negotiating off MSRP might be difficult early, I wonder if they are more willing to give a decent discount off extended warranties. Normally I wouldn't consider it but with a brand new design the warranty could come in handy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since negotiating off MSRP might be difficult early, I wonder if they are more willing to give a decent discount off extended warranties. Normally I wouldn't consider it but with a brand new design the warranty could come in handy.
Are they willing to leave money on the table? Doubt it. But it should be negotiable, just like dealer fees, add-ons, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Once you understand how extended warranties are calculated, you realize they are almost always a waste of money on nearly everything except German cars. Even if something were to go wrong, the chances of it out-costing the extended warranty itself is slim-to-none.

Save your monthly payment from the extended warranty and invest in a 5 yr bond. Then throw in the bank for a rainy day once the powertrain warranty expires. Your pocketbook will thank you. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do your homework if getting an extended warranty. The poster above (HondaGeek I believe) has the Civic warranty listed $2480 in his provided price sheet (thank-you for the image). As you know in most states you can buy an extended warranty from any dealer across the nation. I believe California and Florida may be the exception.

I would contact Hyannis Honda and/or Saccucci Honda for their best price. My best offer for 8 years, 120,000 miles and zero deductible is $1015. I did notice they ask if the vehicle has ever been covered by a previous Hondacare warranty. Leads me to believe that there may be an issue cancelling an already active Hondacare to purchase another at a cheaper rate. Some dealers will offer 12 months no interest on the Hondacare, the two dealerships I listed will not allow you to use the 0%.

Please do not take my word for these prices, Google for yourself before going to the dealer. If you want to see the Finance guy turn pale, show him a screen shot on your phone of the on-line prices. If my dealer would have approached the online price I probably would have bought local.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts