10th Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Smart move to cover your wheels. If you're anything like the most of us that live in the city, you'll know how horrible roads can be at times and the damage those roads can do to wheels. Hopefully getting things dealt with through the warranty is easy enough, without issue.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Rust perforation and surface corrosion seems a bit useless if you get the new vehicle warranty. Only lasts five and three years respectively.
The power train warranty only lasts 5 years too. Not sure if you'll need it for the turbo before the 5 years are up.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Rust can happen on new vehicles, once metal is exposed to the elements then it becomes vulnerable. Being a daily driver I don`t want to worry much about, that sort of protection can go a long way.

·
Registered
922 Posts
That's quite a bit of money, and I don't really find it worth it either. By the time the turbo goes, there should be a turbo upgrade kit anyways and opt for that instead :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
few cars ago, ex-wife was sold on the wheel protection package. bought it...it was reasonable, after much negotiation. well, the time came to use that 'insurance'. She hit a pothole filled with water and it broke the wheel, blew a hole in the sidewall about the size of a coaster.

so, i go out and install the spare tire and drive the car to the nearest tire place. bought two tires as she damaged both front and rear tires...but only one wheel. got home and pulled out insurance paperwork. well, since we changed the tire there on the spot...and took it in to get the tires replaced (had no choice, unless we left it in the parking lot for days) we were not getting reimbursed. the 'procedure' for them to replace said broken/covered parts was pretty much ridiculous.

in a nutshell and from memory...we had to call them when it happened and await one of their adjusters to come out and verify that in fact that we damaged a wheel from the car that was covered. this included the tires as well. then, we would have to have taken it to one of their 'authorized' repair facilities for replacement.

lesson learned...most are ripoffs...and unless you follow their procedures...you are out. so, to those of you that have the insurances...read up to what you need to do if and when you need to make a claim.

·
Registered
54 Posts
..most are ripoffs...and unless you follow their procedures...you are out. .
Thats mostly been my experience with extended warranties. After being denied a claim for what amounted to a 35,000 car because of a loophole the insurance company found to jump through, I swore I would never again purchase an extended warranty on anything.
Long story short, mother-in-law buys life insurance on her brand new Oldsmobile Aurora and she up and dies unexpectedly. The insurance company dug deep and decided that mum didnt tell the truth on if or not she had been hospitalized in the past 3 years when she took out the insurance, and they produced proof that she was seen in an ER during that time and because of how hectic and busy they were, she didnt get out until the following day.
All she had was some x-rays taken and she had bronchitis. Claim denied. Dealer came and took the car back. All in the middle of grieving a family members sudden passing.
I understand that insurance is a bit different than a repairs warranty, but they are closely related. Our attorney advised that it may be too big of a hassle to fight it out in court with no guarantee of winning.

·
Registered
876 Posts
few cars ago, ex-wife was sold on the wheel protection package. bought it...it was reasonable, after much negotiation. well, the time came to use that 'insurance'. She hit a pothole filled with water and it broke the wheel, blew a hole in the sidewall about the size of a coaster.

so, i go out and install the spare tire and drive the car to the nearest tire place. bought two tires as she damaged both front and rear tires...but only one wheel. got home and pulled out insurance paperwork. well, since we changed the tire there on the spot...and took it in to get the tires replaced (had no choice, unless we left it in the parking lot for days) we were not getting reimbursed. the 'procedure' for them to replace said broken/covered parts was pretty much ridiculous.

in a nutshell and from memory...we had to call them when it happened and await one of their adjusters to come out and verify that in fact that we damaged a wheel from the car that was covered. this included the tires as well. then, we would have to have taken it to one of their 'authorized' repair facilities for replacement.

lesson learned...most are ripoffs...and unless you follow their procedures...you are out. so, to those of you that have the insurances...read up to what you need to do if and when you need to make a claim.
that's the downside which is why it helps to educate yourself as an owner since in a situation like this just going out and buying that wheel would have saved a lot of time and give how many of these are on the road, odds are you can find that one wheel at a junk yard or just used somewhere online for much cheaper than new.

then swap on the original tire you had and $300-400 later your back in business. Then you can take it a step further and bill the city for it, after all it's a pot hole.

·
Registered
382 Posts
yeah, that is/was lesson learned on that money grab. reason she went for it was on one of our cars...we hit a pothole on the highway during a torrential downpour and bent 2 factory Honda wheels (again, late at nite, filled with water, couldnt' see them)

when i went to replace them..even used, they were outrageous. that is when i first found tirerack and what they have to offer. ended up getting lighter, better looking aftermarket wheels for our accord. kept the 2 good wheels as spares, until i sold the car.

·
Registered
876 Posts
you can even sell those other wheels, since there might be someone in your position looking for the same wheel, might as well throw up an ad for it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
this was few years ago...those wheels were sold, long before there was any craigslist. good ole fashion garage sale!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Was reading up to see if extended warranty was worth it and from consumer reports:

A survey conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center in late 2013 found that 55 percent of owners who purchased an extended warranty hadn’t used it for repairs during the lifetime of the policy. And, on average, those who did use it spent hundreds more for the coverage than they saved in repair costs.
Best warranty you can pay for are those maintenece visits, keep that civic in top shape.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I have never got my money back on any extended warranty for anything I have bought, but I have been able to sell two cars within days of posting an add because of the fact that mine had extended warranty and the other 100 identical cars for sale didn't. Food for thought.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have never got my money back on any extended warranty for anything I have bought, but I have been able to sell two cars within days of posting an add because of the fact that mine had extended warranty and the other 100 identical cars for sale didn't. Food for thought.
Definitely a plus on the back end if you happen to sell the car, and you can get more money for the vehicle and a quicker sale.

I've purchased dozens of vehicles in my lifetime, this is the first car where I bought the extended warranty. Mainly to cover all of the electronic parts on this car and the safety (Honda sensing) systems, etc. Good to have the turbo covered too. A few days before I bought my Civic I was shopping at a Subaru dealership and they told me the turbo is not covered under warranty on the WRX as it is not a powertrain item, they called it a power adder !, lol. That gave me cause for concern right there, and I went to the Honda dealer and bought my Civic Touring Coupe.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Ive got the extended warranty,too many gadgets plus the new 1.5T engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was debating bout the extended warranty as it covered everything upto 92/ 125,000 plus 4 years/48,000 scheduled maintenance. original price qwas over 4k, but he offered all of it at a bit over 2,000.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Didn't think about how it'll affect the resale value of the Honda. Good point on why you should get warranty.

$2000 seems a bit much for warranty compared to what others are getting.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts