10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past 2 fill-ups have resulted in gas coming back out of the spout when the pump auto stop kicked in. The gas was collected back thru the small hole below the gas tank opening.
Anyone else having issues with fill-ups?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did read one other occurrence of this behavior mentioned either here or that other Civic forum. I will see if I can find that thread and see if there was any follow-up by the OP.

·
Registered
331 Posts
There was a thread with a couple of posts about this, I think it was on the other Civic X forum not this one. Don't think that small hole "collects" the overflow though since the tank is a sealed system and the filler neck has all kinds of safety considerations; just think it drains it somewhere in the wheel well not on paintwork.

·
Registered
441 Posts
So perhaps you need to just wait a few seconds for the gas to fully drop down into the tank fully. Maybe it sits at the top and goes into the main tank more slowly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes this happened the first time I filled up. Once you get used to the sound of almost full, just slow the flow. I generally go over the initial kick, with now problem. It's learning the feel and sound. But the harsh kick from the pump will splash.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Wondering if this is caused by various pumps too? Read that someone didn't have this problem with a Canadian pump.

·
Registered
959 Posts
so wait, does anyone know where this small hole leads to? You don't want gas dripping down into your wheel well IMO...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Would you rather it ran down the paintwork?

Wheel well (not into the car--somewhere under the fender lining if that makes more sense) is only a bet based on my '07 CR-V. It will evaporate harmlessly. We are talking a tablespoon or two. But I'm confident it doesn't go back in the tank. No way to seal it. No way to keep it clean. Another point to worry about collision leakage. Etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This happened to me the first week I had the car, and now it's stopped. Don't know why it stopped, but it has, no more overflows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses. The only way I have been successful in getting it to not overflow is to manually hold the handle and ease off as it approaches full (listening for it as another poster suggested). This is the first car I have had that has had this consistent problem with the automatic shut off. Someone made a good point about trying a different pump. I have only used the Casey's Store (regional brand) that is near the house.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only once I had about a cup or more of gas shoot back on me and all over the rear of the car. Of course I was headed to a meeting early in the morning. Covered the rear corner of the bumper to the rear door jam. Used the windshield squeegee to clean it off. Now I take it easy and listen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The past 2 fill-ups have resulted in gas coming back out of the spout when the pump auto stop kicked in. The gas was collected back thru the small hole below the gas tank opening.
Anyone else having issues with fill-ups?
Unless you're restarting the pump multiple times after the auto-shutoff this is a station pump issue. To get more accurate mpg measurements I am in the habit of slo-filling toward the end and a single click more after the first auto-shutoff. The additional fuel can be anywhere from under a tenth to almost a half-gallon of fuel. Only once or twice in 55 years have I had an overflow. They were at unfamiliar pumps, one was a fast flowing pump that ran over without ever stopping, the other was when I raised the nozzle slightly before I tried to "top it off". Never trust the auto shut-off. I've seen several times where "gallons" of gas/diesel flowed onto the ground from an unattended pump.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So the overflow problem is due to the gas stations instead of a car problem?
Don't think we know. Probably a mix of three factors: 1) the pump and variability from one to another in flow rate and shutoff sensitivity, 2) the car and its plumbing and tank geometry and vapor recovery system, and 3) the technique of the person filling it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have also done it and when i looked underneath my car, the gas ends up somewhere in the middle. I think Honda took care of that issue from previous complaints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've filled my gas tank a total of 4 times since I've got it, at 3 different gas stations and it's done it every time. I've had to clean it up before it gets to the paint, never had this problem before with any vehicle, I will be talking to the service department this week about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to give an update on my car, took it in and they were able to duplicate it 5x, they said they had to talk to their tech-line cause no-one has ever seen this, long story short, after trying some things they will be replacing the gas tank and tube once the parts come in, about a week they said, so they put me in a rental, it got to the point to where it would only take 2 gallons so they said it's not drive-able.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts