10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member.

Here's something I was told by a sales guy two weeks ago at local Honda dealership (I have a meeting with him this week coming up so I'll find out if it's true or not). He tells me that the 2016 Si coupe will release in October. My meeting with him is so that I can factory order one because my lease on my current 2012 Si coupe is up on Sept 5. Says I can get them to extend the lease based on the fact that I will be pre-ordering a 2016. I'm skeptical as to whether or not it's true they will release in October, given that I haven't found any information out there that would indicate it. Of course, I'll be asking for full specs, photos and price. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That sounds highly unlikely.... everything Honda officials have said is that the base sedans will release this "fall" which we assume to be in or around october. The base coupes after that will be released sometime possibly as late as january or february... the Si models will then be released at the same time as the base coupes or after them... Now, assuming they debut the production versions at frankfurt in September, i could see honda allowing people to place orders and reserve cars as early as october... but everything we've heard so far says the coupes and Si versions won't be released until sometime after the sedans launch.

In my experience with dealers they don't know much more about these cars than we do. (sometimes less). Once the cars are ready to be preordered and a solid date is set for them to arrive on lots is when the dealers get their manuals to start training/learning about the cars to be able to sell them. Honda tends to keep the lid pretty tight on new products even for their dealers.

It'll still be interesting to see what he says though... maybe shed some light on things even if they aren't Si related.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That sounds highly unlikely.... everything Honda officials have said is that the base sedans will release this "fall" which we assume to be in or around october. The base coupes after that will be released sometime possibly as late as january or february... the Si models will then be released at the same time as the base coupes or after them... Now, assuming they debut the production versions at frankfurt in September, i could see honda allowing people to place orders and reserve cars as early as october... but everything we've heard so far says the coupes and Si versions won't be released until sometime after the sedans launch.

In my experience with dealers they don't know much more about these cars than we do. (sometimes less). Once the cars are ready to be preordered and a solid date is set for them to arrive on lots is when the dealers get their manuals to start training/learning about the cars to be able to sell them. Honda tends to keep the lid pretty tight on new products even for their dealers.

It'll still be interesting to see what he says though... maybe shed some light on things even if they aren't Si related.
That's what i've seen it to be not just with Honda but other brands as well, it's always the higher volume widest appeal vehicles first over other trims, it only makes sense since those are the foundation of the product, more than what caters to the minority.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Exactly. The sedan is the bread and butter volume car of the civic range. Honda's hard pressed to get that on market before anything else because it's going to compete in the biggest competition segment. I'm not sure why the coupes always take a few months longer (same for the 8th and 9th gen usually a 2-3 month wait). Lower volume production takes longer to get spread out to dealers i suppose. I wonder if the coupes will be built in canada again?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't hold my breathe or anything until you have it confirmed for sure. October also seems earlier than I was expecting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i talked to the sales guy today and he said, "I'll give you a call in the next week or so, once we have the prices, etc".

Regarding where the various models will be built, this is from Honda Canada's web site:

The new Civic marks the first time that development of both the sedan and coupe models is being led by a North American R&D team, with design led by a team from Honda’s Los Angeles design studio and development centered in the company’s Raymond, Ohio vehicle development centre The North American version of the Civic Sedan will be produced in Alliston, Ontario and Greensburg, Indiana. The Civic Coupe and Si models will also be manufactured in Alliston. It also marks a milestone and for the first time HCM serves as the global lead plant for the Civic Sedan and Coupe production. The VTEC Turbo engine will be produced in Alliston Ontario as well as Anna, Ohio. The CVT will be produced in Russells Point, Ohio. Together, these four Honda plants have invested in new equipment, processes and training to prepare for new Civic production, which will use domestic and globally sourced parts. Production of the five-door hatchback will take place at the company’s Swindon, UK plant.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The coupes are usually done in canada. I think that's part of the reason they delay the release of the coupes by a few months after the sedan.

Also, that's pretty cool they'll have pricing in a few weeks. Maybe the big reveal will be sooner than September... usually if they have pricing in place they also release the full specs and features.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The coupes are usually done in canada. I think that's part of the reason they delay the release of the coupes by a few months after the sedan.

Also, that's pretty cool they'll have pricing in a few weeks. Maybe the big reveal will be sooner than September... usually if they have pricing in place they also release the full specs and features.
We better enjoy them while we can before production for future civic's get sent off to Mexico or somewhere especially with the newly established trade agreement, TPP.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We better enjoy them while we can before production for future civic's get sent off to Mexico or somewhere especially with the newly established trade agreement, TPP.
We can only hope that honda's strict quality control keeps that in check. There's no reason quality should suffer due to location of build if a company has strict enough control protocols and a dedicated management team to oversee things.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned either, but still going to keep an eye out for what goes on... just as anyone should that's looking into buying a new vehicle in a new generation.

Even sitting on the sidelines and observing what happens is something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned either, but still going to keep an eye out for what goes on... just as anyone should that's looking into buying a new vehicle in a new generation.

Even sitting on the sidelines and observing what happens is something to keep in mind.
Agreed. Luckily i'm forced to wait 2 more years before i upgrade when my current lease expires. So there will be time for honda to work out any kinks in the new engines etc. possibly even add features before then.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We can only hope that honda's strict quality control keeps that in check. There's no reason quality should suffer due to location of build if a company has strict enough control protocols and a dedicated management team to oversee things.
Alliston is a top shelf facility, they've been handling most of CR-V global volume for the last couple of years...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Agreed. Luckily i'm forced to wait 2 more years before i upgrade when my current lease expires. So there will be time for honda to work out any kinks in the new engines etc. possibly even add features before then.
When did you start your current lease?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
When did you start your current lease?
I actually just made the 12th payment this month, so exactly a year ago this month. Still 2 years on the lease. I know i can trade up early, but i actually did that with this car i have now. I had a 2013 civic sedan for a year and a half and turned it in early for my 2014 coupe. My payments went up because i had to eat some of the cost on the other car even though it was way under miles. This next car i'm looking to possibly buy instead of lease, so i'll just have to be patient and wait the 2 years....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I actually just made the 12th payment this month, so exactly a year ago this month. Still 2 years on the lease. I know i can trade up early, but i actually did that with this car i have now. I had a 2013 civic sedan for a year and a half and turned it in early for my 2014 coupe. My payments went up because i had to eat some of the cost on the other car even though it was way under miles. This next car i'm looking to possibly buy instead of lease, so i'll just have to be patient and wait the 2 years....
At least you didn't end up buying a 2012 civic, i heard that original model year for the 9th civic was so bad that a 2013 facelift and refresh was ordered to save it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At least you didn't end up buying a 2012 civic, i heard that original model year for the 9th civic was so bad that a 2013 facelift and refresh was ordered to save it.
You might want to have a look at what the thread starter (me) said, lol. Not sure what you mean by "so bad". Turn the key and the engine doesn't start? What does "so bad" mean? I have no complaints at all about the car I have been driving for the past four years. Does it have all the bells and whistles that the current iteration (2015) has? No, it doesn't. I don't know about you, but I didn't have one then, and still don't have a crystal ball so when I leased it for four years, it was what it was at that time and I have no regrets. Other than regular maintenance, it has been trouble free and the power and torque for a naturally aspirated engine is good enough for me. Would I like more power and torque? Of course. That's why, like all of us, I'm hoping Honda comes through for us in the upcoming version.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I specifically waited for the 2013s to come out. The 2012 wasn't a bad car, just underwhelming and the interior seemed like a huge step down from my 07 and 10 civics. I didn't mind the styling of the coupe exterior though. When i heard the 13s were getting revamped i waited the few extra months until they came out and got my 2013 sedan because at the time i felt the exterior of the sedan looked way sportier than the 2 door. After the 2 door got refreshed for 2014 i traded my sedan in early and got my current LX coupe. If Honda had let the 2012s ride as were through the lifespan i feel like their sales would have slipped dramatically, so i'm glad they refreshed them so quickly because i had all but lost faith in honda and was looking to hyundai and kia instead.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So i talked to the sales guy today and he said, "I'll give you a call in the next week or so, once we have the prices, etc".
Did he ever get back to you? So far the 10th Gen looks good on paper and in the posted pictures but we won't know until we've taken it for a ride or had a chance to sit in one and fiddle with the display.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts