I'm from Europe and driving a gen 7 civic 1.7 diesel
Was thinking of buying a 9th gen civic but saw the 10th gen concept pics
really hoping now that my car holds it out till 10 th gen is available
but it's a honda so there's hope... :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Never knew that generation was available as a diesel elsewhere, especially in the same displacement that's also widely available in gasoline.

Have you started to inquire at your dealer about the 10th gen model?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx
checking in here everyday
too curious for more news :)

it was Honda's 'first' diesel
actually they bought isuzu motors and improved them so
here in europe honda was really late with introducing a diesel engine so that was there solution at that time
but the next one need to be a 100% hondacar

haven't informed with the dealer yet
cause there's the problem here in belgium:
the dealer network is rapidly shrinking
since I bought my car I had 4 garages I was a customer that closed
now the car is old and a friend who repairs his own honda's , does mine as well

don't really know where to buy the next one
the dealer I last went is not my first choice at all
maybe I can drive long enough with mine till there's a decent amount of second hand 10th gen's available :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum @Tim

Really hope that you are able to hold out until the next gen model comes out instead of being forced to go with the 9th generation Civic. Honda usually has great reliability, so I have high hopes that things will work out for you. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
thnx
checking in here everyday
too curious for more news :)

it was Honda's 'first' diesel
actually they bought isuzu motors and improved them so
here in europe honda was really late with introducing a diesel engine so that was there solution at that time
but the next one need to be a 100% hondacar

haven't informed with the dealer yet
cause there's the problem here in belgium:
the dealer network is rapidly shrinking
since I bought my car I had 4 garages I was a customer that closed
now the car is old and a friend who repairs his own honda's , does mine as well

don't really know where to buy the next one
the dealer I last went is not my first choice at all
maybe I can drive long enough with mine till there's a decent amount of second hand 10th gen's available :)
That explains most of us here, even have google alerts setup :D

I'm actually quite surprised they didn't have any diesels prior to the 7th generation.

You guys are almost always the first to get a diesel.

Keep us posted on what you hear from dealers although being here long enough, you may being to know more than them

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
honda and their petrol engines
they were a bit 'forced' to start making diesels
cause they got hit in sales in Europe for not having one
it was back then the reason why my dad went to toyota back in the days
boy was he glad that the honda 2.2 diesel came out in 2006
if it was possible to marry a car, I think I might have a diesel stepmom by now :-D

here in europe
petrol (diesel as well) is much more expensive than in america
so being efficient with fuel and making green cars is really a hot item here :-(
that's why I think they did such a good job with the 1.6 i-dtec: efficient and performant!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Your dad will love how hybrid/electric tech performs, more instant power than diesel or petrol :D
all the power you want with what can be minimal costs to the user to recharge.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Your dad will love how hybrid/electric tech performs, more instant power than diesel or petrol :D
Yea but hybrid still hasn't proven itself in the reliability arena. Old Euro diesels have turned over a million and counting. Where the battery has a half life, your tank does not... a diesel may see a drop off in efficiency as it ages it doesn't have a cliff where its benefit potentially becomes a crutch

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

do you believe in the success of electric cars?
what you say is true but for me to want one
they should have longer battery life

I last heared that hybrid technology is very failureproof so far
but like you said: you can really know it after a decade or two

·
Registered
991 Posts
For me its not the length of battery life that is the issue, but rather the length of time it takes to charge each time. Most EVs have a range that will get you there and back without much anxiety. It would be nice if you could charge the car fully without having to park it for hours upon end. I've never owned an EV so I'm not totally up on how long charging takes, but I imagine it caries between brands and is part of what companies are trying to improve.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just wanted to add to the welcome wagon here. Welcome to the forum. Friendly group here and Honda is doing a good job at giving us things to talk about.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Range isn't much of an issue, there are home chargers you can use to charge overnight and some EV's even have gasoline powered generators for when you can't charge up anywhere.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welcome Tim. Actually considering we're on the topic of Europe, we haven't heard anything about the 10th Gen Civic Tourer (wagon for the Americans ;))

·
Registered
876 Posts
Welcome Tim. Actually considering we're on the topic of Europe, we haven't heard anything about the 10th Gen Civic Tourer (wagon for the Americans ;))
Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that will happen.

Last time we had anything like it, it was decades ago, plus it might step on the HR-V's toes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me its not the length of battery life that is the issue, but rather the length of time it takes to charge each time. Most EVs have a range that will get you there and back without much anxiety. It would be nice if you could charge the car fully without having to park it for hours upon end. I've never owned an EV so I'm not totally up on how long charging takes, but I imagine it caries between brands and is part of what companies are trying to improve.
idd, hadn 't looked it that way yet
faster charging would be an even better solution
still combustion engines are the way to go for now for me

really like the attitude here on the forum guys
certainly compared to others (non honda related ones) i sometimes visit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts